Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

11 hours ago, jaws said:

Those are great numbers but I doubt he wins the Heisman next year. The media will be all over Tua and Lawrence. 

You're probably right, but if he isn't a finalist at a minimum before he leaves NU then something went horribly wrong. A True Frosh putting up the numbers he did without playing his senior year in high school is pretty amazing to me.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Heisman his sophomore year and to the NFL after his junior year as a first round pick.  The way the NFL is drooling over the Mahomes type of talent, hard to project him playing a whole career if he progresses the way we all hope he does.   

SF offenses are going to make skilled players turnover like its the NBA - especially QB's

• 2 months later...

I disagree that the nfl is going to turn nu into a turnstile for early leaving quarterbacks

while  the nfl has opened up a bit, most teams are still running a pro style offense with statue quarterbacks

martinez is the real deal

hadnt played for a full year off a tough injury

first year in the system for him and everyone

without a full team of system recruited kids

in year one of totally revamped s&c program

a legit 225 lbs not the make believe 200 of the stickman gebbia

legit football speed with smart lateral quickness and good decisions when to run or not

good pocket presence/ making small movements to extend plays instead of panicking and taking off or taking big sacks

really mature kid, seems to be old beyond his years 

im not one of those silly guys who predicts  12-0 every year or Heismans 

but this kid will be in the conversation and soon if he stays healthy 

On 12/12/2018 at 6:15 AM, teachercd said:

I am thinking...

3,300 passing yards

550 rushing yards

30 passing TD's and 10 Rushing TD's

How plausible are those?

If we took last year’s numbers, remove Michigan/St since no team on the schedule projects to that level of defense, then take the average multiplied by 12 games:

3266 passing yards

830 rushing yards

It’s very likely, if he plays 12 games, he hits those marks. Not only should we expect him to personally improve, but this offense should improve by 60-70 yards as a whole, using its history as a guideline. The one thing I’d expect is for his rushing yards to decline slightly. Too many QB runs last year. It was used as a bit of a crutch last and as the offense as a whole improves they’ll wean off of that. Conversely, 4000 passing yards is not out of the question.

It’s harder to project TDs, but with the kind of speed we should see this year, passing TDs could be quite high. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, brophog said:

The next person that tells me what “pro style” means will be the first.

Most football people define pro style to mean a bill Walsh inspired primarily one back  limited running game with inside zone, outside zone and possibly a run featuring an adjuster h back wham blocked running play

uses a variety of formations but likes to get to a 1 back, adjuster h back and a tight end 

play action passing game

quarterback that hands off and is not used as runner designed or otherwise 

lots of straight drop back passing from both under center and shotgun 

likes to create mismatches and create constraints with tight ends or big athletic h backs that can either create an additional run gap, motion, reset or threaten the deep middle zone in unfavorable matchups 

passing concepts that attack all portions of the field

46 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Most football people define pro style to mean a bill Walsh inspired primarily one back  limited running game with inside zone, outside zone and possibly a run featuring an adjuster h back wham blocked running play

uses a variety of formations but likes to get to a 1 back, adjuster h back and a tight end 

play action passing game

quarterback that hands off and is not used as runner designed or otherwise 

lots of straight drop back passing from both under center and shotgun 

likes to create mismatches and create constraints with tight ends or big athletic h backs that can either create an additional run gap, motion, reset or threaten the deep middle zone in unfavorable matchups 

passing concepts that attack all portions of the field

Thanks. You are indeed the first.

However, outside of the QB run sentence, you just described about any modern one back offense (few won’t use a tight end or h-back). The only other sentence that would disqualify Frost’s offense would be the under center comment. When I see people commenting on a “pro style” offense, what they usually mean is the QB is mostly under center. The NFL, also known as the pros, is rapidly moving towards more and more plays from Shotgun.

The one sentence I would take exception of is the first. While it is true most of the NFL is from either the Bill Parcells or Bill Walsh coaching trees, Bill Walsh himself used almost exclusively two back sets. His use of split backs was so common, that was the set in the old days that got labeled the “pro set”.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Plays in a big conference

Plays for a blue blood

The key will be...

Consistent numbers

1 highlight play per game

1 freak game (that 400 yards passing 150 yards rushing, 5 TD's)

10 wins or a big upset.

I think he will be consistent, once he gets the feel of the new skill players around him.  In this offense, I would not think that a freak game is out of the question, it may happen more than once especially with some of the teams we play this next year.  The kicker is the 10 wins or a big upset.  I don't see 10 wins as too likely at all and if we are as good as all the Kool Aid drinkers are saying we will be, we should be favored in most all of our games thus limiting a true "big" upset.  

IMO, not gonna happen this year, but watch our for his Jr. year.  Things will really click by then and we may even be able to put up those 10 wins by then too.