Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

48 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Bama has two Heisman winners all time so those other 120+ years the lock must not have been that close :lol: 

How Alabama has finished over the last decade in Heisman voting:

2009- 1st

2010- DNP (The Cam Newton year)

2011- 3rd

2012- DNP (The Manziel year)

2013- 2nd

2014- 3rd

2015- 1st

2016- 7th

2017- DNP

2018- 2nd and 8th

So, obviously there is no "lock".  But if you want to bet on a school to place in the standings, Alabama and the guy who came in 2nd last year are the closest thing you can bet on.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Redux said:

How Alabama has finished over the last decade in Heisman voting:

2009- 1st

2010- DNP (The Cam Newton year)

2011- 3rd

2012- DNP (The Manziel year)

2013- 2nd

2014- 3rd

2015- 1st

2016- 7th

2017- DNP

2018- 2nd and 8th

So, obviously there is no "lock".  But if you want to bet on a school to place in the standings, Alabama and the guy who came in 2nd last year are the closest thing you can bet on.

Lincoln Riley has produced one every year though tbf.  Quite a percentage

As hype builds, Martinez staying focused on task at hand

Adrian Martinez sees the headlines and hears the hype. How could he not?

Nebraska’s sophomore quarterback not only broke onto the scene in record fashion last season as a true freshman, he has now elevated himself to become one of the early favorites to win the 2019 Heisman Trophy.

His poised and quietly confident demeanor should help him handle much of what comes with so much attention and expectation, but he admits that the level of national praise he’s already received going into his second season has been a bit unexpected.

“It’s humbling,” Martinez said. “Obviously, (the Heisman) is an award that you grow up knowing about. At the end of the day, that is not my primary focus. My primary focus is getting better each day and helping this team win more games, that’s what matters. Everything else will take care of itself.”

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/knee-jerk-reactions-from-the-weekend-full-of-b1g-spring-games/?amp

"

ADRIAN MARTINEZ IS THE BEST QB IN THE B1G

One throw was really all I needed to see to make that judgment over the weekend. Martinez threw a perfect strike across his body while eluding defenders, and the result was a touchdown. Martinez is a special talent and Saturday’s spring game proved that his freshman year was no fluke. As a true sophomore, Martinez might be the B1G’s best chance to end its Heisman Trophy drought and is the key reason why so many are pegging the Huskers as a top 25 squad in 2019"

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/knee-jerk-reactions-from-the-weekend-full-of-b1g-spring-games/?amp

"

ADRIAN MARTINEZ IS THE BEST QB IN THE B1G

One throw was really all I needed to see to make that judgment over the weekend. Martinez threw a perfect strike across his body while eluding defenders, and the result was a touchdown. Martinez is a special talent and Saturday’s spring game proved that his freshman year was no fluke. As a true sophomore, Martinez might be the B1G’s best chance to end its Heisman Trophy drought and is the key reason why so many are pegging the Huskers as a top 25 squad in 2019"

Was just coming here to post this

57 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Let's get to at least 9 wins before this hype gets any wind in its sails.  He led a 4-8 team last year.  He did well, but slow the roll a little bit for goodness sakes!

What are the repercussions of fans talking about potential Heisman candidates? Do they come down with leprosy? Let me know so I can make an informed decision on whether to listen to you or not.

I’ve decided to be adventurous and keep talking about it until you give me an answer on whether it’s safe to do so. 

Martinez is 3rd in the entire country in returning total offense. He was 12th last year but 9 of those players were seniors, graduated early, or got injured (Milton). He’s going to get talked about for Heisman, nationally and locally, whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. Also, nationally and locally, people noticed our huge improvement in the 2nd half of the season last year, so most think our record is going to be better.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

What are the repercussions of fans talking about potential Heisman candidates? Do they come down with leprosy? Let me know so I can make an informed decision on whether to listen to you or not.

Online fan discussion absolutely indirectly effects the players. The writers drum stuff up here, or keep their eyes open for stuff already drummed up. If the conversations get huge, the writers will write about it, which might make them ask players about it, or remark on, "Adrian, there's a lot of hype surrounding you this year..." primarily because of us. That adds to the pressure.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Online fan discussion absolutely indirectly effects the players. The writers drum stuff up here, or keep their eyes open for stuff already drummed up. If the conversations get huge, the writers will write about it, which might make them ask players about it, or remark on, "Adrian, there's a lot of hype surrounding you this year..." primarily because of us. That adds to the pressure.

Any players it affects probably weren’t going to do well in major Div. I football. And there was Heisman talk nationally for Martinez before anyone here talked about it.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Any players it affects probably weren’t going to do well in major Div. I football. And there was Heisman talk nationally for Martinez before anyone here talked about it.

He had 3rd best odds to win the heisman this year coming from the sports books. Thats what started this entire Martinez for heisman talk.