Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

One thing I really love about Frost as a coach (because I don't have a reason to not love it yet) is his appreciation and acceptance of expectations. He talks about it a lot and you can definitely hear similar things out of his players' mouths. It's one of the biggest reasons I have a fair amount of confidence in him and Martinez.

Leadership comes in a variety of forms, but my preferred type of leadership has always involved honesty and an open approach to goals and expectations. You can't hide from them or run from them. You can accept them for what they are and still flourish.

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

People do realize Martinez is where is in the Heisman odds partly because of his skill and partly because Vegas knows our money is easy to take? 

I'm going to nerd out here for a sec.   :)   The point you're trying to make isn't actually accurate. Here's an extreme example to prove the point:

The oddsmakers would not put the third string punter from San Diego State at 6:1 odds on the books, because nobody would take the bet.

The oddsmakers' primary goal is to put up odds that are actually reasonable so that people will flock to their betting house to place bets. If they didn't, money wouldn't flow into the order books.

21 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

I'm happy too, but...

People do realize Martinez is where is in the Heisman odds partly because of his skill and partly because Vegas knows our money is easy to take? 

And Vegas does realize that Frost took an unknown, mid-three-star at a Group of Five school and turned him into a Heisman contender in Year 2 so....

On 4/18/2019 at 7:16 AM, Moiraine said:

What are the repercussions of fans talking about potential Heisman candidates? Do they come down with leprosy? Let me know so I can make an informed decision on whether to listen to you or not.

I’ve decided to be adventurous and keep talking about it until you give me an answer on whether it’s safe to do so. 

Martinez is 3rd in the entire country in returning total offense. He was 12th last year but 9 of those players were seniors, graduated early, or got injured (Milton). He’s going to get talked about for Heisman, nationally and locally, whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. Also, nationally and locally, people noticed our huge improvement in the 2nd half of the season last year, so most think our record is going to be better.

Does anyone remember Wendell Wooten?  Probably not.  He was the next big thing (well before internet days)...they had the catch phrase "There Won't be No Hootin' till there's Wooten".  Sadly, all the hype caused him to come down with leprosy, pleurisy, hypocrisy, pharisee and Sadducee I think, not to mention several other lethal syndromes.  If the internet and chat boards had been around, he probably would not have survived!!!  (Your point is well taken though...)   :-) 

• Haha 1
On 4/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, Atbone95 said:

I'm happy too, but...

Yes, and that’s why Nebraska has a Heisman candidate EVERY year. Wait...

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, Atbone95 said:

I'm happy too, but...

On 4/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, Mavric said:

And Vegas does realize that Frost took an unknown, mid-three-star at a Group of Five school and turned him into a Heisman contender in Year 2 so....

On 4/21/2019 at 7:22 PM, cheekygeek said:

Yes, and that’s why Nebraska has a Heisman candidate EVERY year. Wait...

It's probably a "Little of Column A, Little of Column B" thing here. When Nebraska has a player near enough the skill level that people will buy into, Vegas hypes him up some. I'm sure the gamblers know this, but rubes like me wouldn't, and would fall prey to putting $10 down because, why not?

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's probably a "Little of Column A, Little of Column B" thing here. When Nebraska has a player near enough the skill level that people will buy into, Vegas hypes him up some. I'm sure the gamblers know this, but rubes like me wouldn't, and would fall prey to putting $10 down because, why not?

Did Knapp just agree with me? I could cry. 

ESPN: Future Offensive Power Rankings

10. Nebraska Cornhuskers

2019 future QB ranking: 8
2018 future offense ranking: Not ranked

Scouting the Cornhuskers: The combination of quarterback Adrian Martinez's eligibility situation (three more years) and coach Scott Frost's track record boosts Nebraska's overall outlook. Martinez could be a national awards candidate as soon as this season. He once again will target JD Spielman, who has 121 receptions in his first two years, and junior tight end Jack Stoll. Nebraska should build up its wide receiver depth with Kade Warner, Mike Williams and a good group of incoming freshmen that includes Wandale Robinson. Running back is the big short-term question mark because of Devine Ozigbo's departure and Maurice Washington's legal issues. Nebraska returns three starting offensive linemen who all have two seasons of eligibility left, and adds ESPN 300 prospect Bryce Benhart.

• 3 weeks later...