Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I misspoke the other day, but had it right earlier in the topic.

Martinez is #3 in returning total offense this season in the country. If you want people to stop talking about him potentially being the best player or best quarterback in the conference or the country this season, it’s not going to happen.

Below are the Heisman contenders from 2018-2019 season...Note how the only significant 1st or 2nd place votes were cast for Kyler Murray, Tua Tagovailoa, or Dwayne Haskins....from teams who have a good record.  Nebraska will have to be in National Championship contention (in other words a very good record) before AM will even compete for the Heisman.  Yet you think people are crazy for pumping the brakes on a Martinez for Heisman? 

Kyler Murray             Oklahoma 2018 Record (12-2)    
Tua Tagovailoa            

Alabama 2018 Record

(14-1)

Dwayne Haskins            

Ohio State

2018 Record (13-1)

Will Grier            

West Virginia

2018 Record (8-4)

Darrell Henderson            

Memphis

2018 Record

(8-6)

Gardner Minshew            

Washington State

Record

(11-2)

Jonathan Taylor            

Wisconsin

2018 Record

(8-5)

Travis Etienne            

Clemson

2018 Record

(15-0)

Quinnen Williams    

Alabama 2018 Record

(14-1)

10 minutes ago, CriticalFan said:

Below are the Heisman contenders from 2018-2019 season...Note how the only significant 1st or 2nd place votes were cast for Kyler Murray, Tua Tagovailoa, or Dwayne Haskins....from teams who have a good record.  Nebraska will have to be in National Championship contention (in other words a very good record) before AM will even compete for the Heisman.  Yet you think people are crazy for pumping the brakes on a Martinez for Heisman? 

Kyler Murray             Oklahoma 2018 Record (12-2)    
Tua Tagovailoa            

Alabama 2018 Record

(14-1)

Dwayne Haskins            

Ohio State

2018 Record (13-1)

Will Grier            

West Virginia

2018 Record (8-4)

Darrell Henderson            

Memphis

2018 Record

(8-6)

Gardner Minshew            

Washington State

Record

(11-2)

Jonathan Taylor            

Wisconsin

2018 Record

(8-5)

Travis Etienne            

Clemson

2018 Record

(15-0)

Quinnen Williams    

Alabama 2018 Record

(14-1)

Lamar Jackson won it on a 9-3 Lousiville team in 2016, Bryce Love was second in 2017 on a 9-4 team. If he puts up big enough numbers the fact we went 4-8 last year will be an even bigger selling point for the voters. It'll be a player putting up great numbers and willing a 4-8 team to a winning season, even though that's not fair to the contributions of other players. Again that's assuming he puts up huge numbers, but the track record of Frost's offense there is excellent.

No one will be shocked if Martinez isn't a finalist, it's impossible to predict at this point. But no one should be surprised if he is, he's set up for it as well as anyone that's not a Bama/Clemson skill position player.

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, CriticalFan said:

No.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CriticalFan said:

Can someone older than me (I was born in '87) tell me if this amount of Koolaid and Hype (Heisman Watch Top 5, Best QB in the Conference) used to start before anyone had even played a game in the 70s and 80s?  It seems like they push it earlier and earlier every year.  I feel like they are trying to sell us Xmas decorations before Halloween.

I remember schools would promote their wanna be's in the summer, I'm thinking the 80s maybe.  Not so much the media giving top 10 lists

Tim Tebow won the Heisman with a 9-4 record and #15 ranking.

Johnny Manziel won it with a great season but no real actual legitimate chance at a championship.

Lamar Jackson won it with Louisville finished ranked #20.

Robert Griffin III won it with a 10-3 record.

Ndamukong Suh was a finalist on our team which was barely ever in the top 20 all season.

I don't think Martinez will win it, but there's certainly precedent for transcendent players on average or non-elite teams doing it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, CriticalFan said:

Can someone older than me (I was born in '87) tell me if this amount of Koolaid and Hype (Heisman Watch Top 5, Best QB in the Conference) used to start before anyone had even played a game in the 70s and 80s?  It seems like they push it earlier and earlier every year.  I feel like they are trying to sell us Xmas decorations before Halloween.

I am SOOOOOO mich older than you, let me drop some wisdom! (Born in 85)

This is a product of technology/social media/access to instant information.  These opportunities simply were not available pre-2010 even really.  Attention spans are shrinking by the year so the media feels the hyperbole must be cranked up continuously to grab eyeballs.

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I am SOOOOOO much older than you, let me drop some wisdom! (Born in 85)

This is a product of technology/social media/access to instant information.  These opportunities simply were not available pre-2010 even really.  Attention spans are shrinking by the year so the media feels the hyperbole must be cranked up continuously to grab eyeballs.

Yeah, think of the media sources today didn't even exist pre-internet.  Yahoo!, Rivals, 247, whomever.  It's definitely bloated.  Like me.  A fellow 85er :o

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not to take anything away from Martinez, but I hate all comments coming from "coaches at Manning Camp" because they convinced me Tanner Lee was our savior. Big difference is Martinez has already backed up the hype on the field to some degree, but still. 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Not to take anything away from Martinez, but I hate all comments coming from "coaches at Manning Camp" because they convinced me Tanner Lee was our savior. Big difference is Martinez has already backed up the hype on the field to some degree, but still. 

Yes, we’ve actually SEEN what 2AM can do, so it’s not really hype.

When similar comments were made about Lee, I watched some of the Tulane games and was dumbfounded at what people were seeing in him.  I had hopes he wouldn’t be the Tulane Tanner, and that better coaching (LOL) would improve him.  But, we all saw the exact same player at NU as I did in those Tulane games.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread but this is a great read on Coach Verduzco and his QB teaching methods

The scientific method of Mario Verduzco, Nebraska quarterbacks coach

By Bruce Feldman 4h agocomment-icon.png 16 save-icon.png

LINCOLN, Neb. — On one side of the glass is the weight room where Nebraska football players grunt and clang their way through their workouts.

On the other, opera music plays from desktop computer speakers, the majestic voices of Andrea Bocelli and Luciano Pavarotti — Pava-row-tee, as the office’s occupant says — a constant soundtrack.

Beside the glass overlooking the weight room, a dresser showcases three dozen books, neatly positioned around a jar of Tootsie Pops. This is no typical football library, aside from the half-dozen books by or about Bill Walsh. The rest of the collection seemingly has nothing to do with the sport. There are multiple works by Friedrich Nietzsche, books on religion, on biomechanics and on focus. One book is titled, “Motor Control and Learning”, written by Richard A. Schmidt, a former nationally ranked college gymnast-turned UCLA scientist.

This is the office of Mario Verduzco, the second-year quarterbacks coach at Nebraska. He is 63, has thick, gray, feathered hair and wears round-framed glasses much like the ones favored by John Lennon. Verduzco is prone to slipping off his shoes while discussing the throwing motion and rattling off philosophical quotes and physics formulas. He cites Schmidt’s name and his work while talking about the intricacies of the quarterback position to the point where one wonders if the late UCLA professor should be considered one of the godfathers of quarterback coaching.

• Plus1 4