Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

On 7/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, CriticalFan said:

Can someone older than me (I was born in '87) tell me if this amount of Koolaid and Hype (Heisman Watch Top 5, Best QB in the Conference) used to start before anyone had even played a game in the 70s and 80s?  It seems like they push it earlier and earlier every year.  I feel like they are trying to sell us Xmas decorations before Halloween.

I am indeed older.  I think the hype is accelerated for sure.  Most likely it has to do with instant communications and so many people making their living at being first, loudest, boldest, brashest, most cutting edge.  Social media has spurred it on as well.  I don't remember Heisman conversations until near the end of the season.  But then again, I am old and maybe I just don't remember!  LOL

Bicentennial baby here, college fan since about 5 yrs old. My take:

People just used to watch games and read newspapers and make up their own mind during the course of the season. Then they would start to hype stuff as the season wore on and it was usually evident who the best 3-5 players were. It was actually a race and enjoyable to watch the cream rise. Sometimes it wasn’t even  debatable. Barry Sanders, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Tim Brown... but sometimes it was a real race because players could stake their claim during the season. 

Then Andre Ware won it and it all seemed to change overnight to stats, a “Heisman Play” highlight, who’s winning, team they’re on, location, etc etc. 

Now it starts for the NEXT season during bowl games yet to be played. Its on magazine covers in April, Twitter, schools pumping promos and the like. Not to say guys like Ricky Williams or Reggie Bush weren’t deserving. 

Some players have been ROBBED (Suh). Guys like Jason White? Danny Weurfel? C’mon. 

The hype train was born and it’s not even fun anymore to watch and discuss  to me.  Mark Ingram? No way. 

Im glad Nebraska is doing their part and certainly think Martinez has the talent but let’s watch the damn games and see who it MIGHT be by week 8-9 rather than anoint 3-4 players during spring ball.  

Another factor in hearing so much about the Heisman and hearing about it early is there are many more different possible takes due to more players winning before their senior year. 10-15 years ago no one would have been talking about a Sophomore winning the Heisman.

Now any player who had a good Fr or So year is considered a potential candidate, so there are more players to write about. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, I am I said:

Bicentennial baby here, college fan since about 5 yrs old. My take:

People just used to watch games and read newspapers and make up their own mind during the course of the season. Then they would start to hype stuff as the season wore on and it was usually evident who the best 3-5 players were. It was actually a race and enjoyable to watch the cream rise. Sometimes it wasn’t even  debatable. Barry Sanders, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Tim Brown... but sometimes it was a real race because players could stake their claim during the season. 

Then Andre Ware won it and it all seemed to change overnight to stats, a “Heisman Play” highlight, who’s winning, team they’re on, location, etc etc. 

Now it starts for the NEXT season during bowl games yet to be played. Its on magazine covers in April, Twitter, schools pumping promos and the like. Not to say guys like Ricky Williams or Reggie Bush weren’t deserving. 

Some players have been ROBBED (Suh). Guys like Jason White? Danny Weurfel? C’mon. 

The hype train was born and it’s not even fun anymore to watch and discuss  to me.  Mark Ingram? No way. 

Im glad Nebraska is doing their part and certainly think Martinez has the talent but let’s watch the damn games and see who it MIGHT be by week 8-9 rather than anoint 3-4 players during spring ball.  

This is my pet peeve in American sports, and I say that somewhat specifically due to the fascination with playoff formats.

Regular season doesn’t matter, only who wins the trophy matters, but 5 seconds after the whistle there is already talk about who wins it next year. 

5 hours ago, Bad2theBONES said:

Last year compared to this year. Martinez has put on a lot of muscle. Excited to see this translate onto the field, and with many other players too! 

A4BA1723-6E5E-4C65-B9B6-90373C1E0218.jpeg

Look how he towers over that same football now. He is a literal giant.

• Haha 8

CHICAGO -- The preseason recognition keeps rolling in for Nebraska sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez. 

Martinez was one of 10 Big Ten players named to a preseason watchlist voted on by a media panel. 

Martinez is joined on the Big Ten watchlist from the West division by Purdue wide receiver Rondale Moore, Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor, Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa and Northwestern linebacker Paddy Fisher. 

In the East, the watchlist members are Ohio State running back J.K. Dobbins and defensive end Chase Young, Penn State defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos, Michigan State linebacker Joe Bachie and Michigan State defensive end Kenny Willekes.