Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

7 hours ago, bleedNUred said:

Adrian wins the Heisman if he leads the Huskers to a Big 10 title and playoff berth. Other than that the media will drooling over Trevor Lawrence all season and Tua as well. 

You're right but...does he make it to New York in the event we just win the West? 

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Really? That sounds like a heisman winner to me.

Murray- 5400 yds, 54 TDs

Mayfield-4900 yds, 48 TDs

Jackson-5200 yds, 45 TDs

Mariota-5200 yds, 57 TDs

Winston-4200 yds, 45 TDs

Would that not get him invited? That's what you were asking. Haha.

What I meant was, he would probably need similar stats to get there if we just won the west at 9-3 or 10-2.  The Heisman has become the "best player on the best team" award and not simply the best player in college football award.  Multiple loses seem to hold guys back no matter how good he is compared to his team.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Would that not get him invited? That's what you were asking. Haha.

What I meant was, he would probably need similar stats to get there if we just won the west at 9-3 or 10-2.  The Heisman has become the "best player on the best team" award and not simply the best player in college football award.  Multiple loses seem to hold guys back no matter how good he is compared to his team.

It would lol I guess what I meant was I think it would take less to get him invited to NY for the ceremony, but I agree that even with numbers that should win it he might not if we aren't a contender. But then again, Louisville wasn't a contender when Jackson won it so maybe that isn't as true as it seems.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:03 PM, grandpasknee said:

I am indeed older.  I think the hype is accelerated for sure.  Most likely it has to do with instant communications and so many people making their living at being first, loudest, boldest, brashest, most cutting edge.  Social media has spurred it on as well.  I don't remember Heisman conversations until near the end of the season.  But then again, I am old and maybe I just don't remember!  LOL

I really don't like playing the old man card, but I'm old enough to remember the season-long hype between quarterbacks Joe Theisman, Jim Plunkett, Archie Manning, and the awesomely named Sonny Sixkiller in 1970. Theisman's name was originally pronounced THEESE-man, but he changed it to THIGHS-man to rhyme with Heisman, so yes...there was plenty of hype before the internet.

I also remember hype for Ed Marinaro when he was putting up huge numbers for Cornell. But the haters said "yeah, but that's Cornell" the year Marinaro finished second to Pat Sullivan. Nebraska's Jerry Tagge came in #7 that year. 1971's Game of the Century would feature the next year's  #1 and #2 Heisman candidates; Johnny Rodgers and Oklahoma's Greg Pruitt getting tons of hype. Rich Glover, our undersized defensive lineman, came in an impressive #3 on a very Suh-like bandwagon. 

That was back when gasoline was 34 cents a gallon!  

Now get off my lawn!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Except when it came to Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Robert Griffin III, and Lamar Jackson. 

There are some instances when they get it right yes. Then there are years with Derrick Henry over Christian McCaffrey, and Mark Ingram over Gerhart and Suh.

If he makes it to NY, it means we have met pre-season talking heads expectations.  Anything less and he wont.  You have Tua, Lawrence and Hurts to think about as well.  Not to mention Ehlinger at UT.....All at QB.  

If he goes 5000 yards and 45-50 TD's we are in the playoffs.....We are not losing more than 1-2 games with numbers like those.

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

If he makes it to NY, it means we have met pre-season talking heads expectations.  Anything less and he wont.  You have Tua, Lawrence and Hurts to think about as well.  Not to mention Ehlinger at UT.....All at QB.  

If he goes 5000 yards and 45-50 TD's we are in the playoffs.....We are not losing more than 1-2 games with numbers like those.

If 5000 total yards, yes. No player with 5000 passing yards has reached any equivalency to the playoff.