Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

• 2 weeks later...

USA Today ranks Top 10 quarterbacks for 2019

7. ADRIAN MARTINEZ, NEBRASKA

8721255.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

USA Today: "He was a revelation amid the Cornhuskers' debut under Scott Frost, who has helped to develop his fair share of quarterback standouts. Martinez will be his latest star."

Our ranking: No. 11

247Sports take: Is the preseason hype warranted for Nebraska's rising sophomore sensation? It's awfully rare that a returning quarterback from a 4-8 team is considered a Top 10 Heisman candidate, but Martinez fits the bill. He should exceed 30 touchdowns and 3,500 yards of total offense for a much-improved Huskers team. Frost isn't backing down from the expectations placed on his quarterback, saying this spring he feels Martinez can handle the burden.

"My hope is that when he leaves Nebraska, he's thought of as one of the all-time greats at the position," Frost said. "In fact, I hope he's thought of as the greatest to ever play at Nebraska at that position."

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Not as crazy as saying that a QB of a 4-8 team is #1.  :) 

Uh, ya it’s more crazy actually. Martinez is #6 nationally in returning total offense (any position).

Nebraska fans are a little too self deprecating sometimes. Martinez is legitimately a good player and probably a great one. #1 in the B1G is where everyone should predict him to be this season.

• Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Uh, ya it’s more crazy actually. Martinez is #6 nationally in returning total offense (any position).

Nebraska fans are a little too self deprecating sometimes. Martinez is legitimately a good player and probably a great one. #1 in the B1G is where everyone should predict him to be this season.

Not really self-deprecating.  He’s a fantastic player no matter how you slice it, but to be number 1, he’s going to have to have some really good targets to throw to.  We know JD’s going to get as many touches as he can handle.  Then who?

19 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Not really self-deprecating.  He’s a fantastic player no matter how you slice it, but to be number 1, he’s going to have to have some really good targets to throw to.  We know JD’s going to get as many touches as he can handle.  Then who?

Most teams don't have a receiver as good as Spielman. Do you know what the returning WRs look like for other teams?

• Fire 1

Certainly for this to fall into place it will take not only a tremendous individual effort, but a spectacular team one.  I think Wandale is going to help Martinez's numbers quite a bit.  Perhaps people get tired of the Rondale Moore comparisons, but I don't.  Who knows?  Maybe JD is actually in the Hesiman conversation.  The bias towards QBs doesn't make it as likely.  The offensive line will certainly have to pick up the pace.  If all these moving parts are moving in the right direction is will be the most special fall in quite some time.  

3 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Not as crazy as saying that a QB of a 4-8 team is #1.  :) 

So you think an entire season of proving yourself on the big 10 stage is irrelevant? I think the stats he put up on a bad 4-8 team is actually a case for how good he is. 

No one even knows if fields is even a good college player yet 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 4/18/2019 at 6:54 AM, grandpasknee said:

Let's get to at least 9 wins before this hype gets any wind in its sails.  He led a 4-8 team last year.  He did well, but slow the roll a little bit for goodness sakes!

Can someone older than me (I was born in '87) tell me if this amount of Koolaid and Hype (Heisman Watch Top 5, Best QB in the Conference) used to start before anyone had even played a game in the 70s and 80s?  It seems like they push it earlier and earlier every year.  I feel like they are trying to sell us Xmas decorations before Halloween.

I misspoke the other day, but had it right earlier in the topic.

Martinez is #3 in returning total offense this season in the country. If you want people to stop talking about him potentially being the best player or best quarterback in the conference or the country this season, it’s not going to happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1