Will KSU Rise Again?

Pedro G

Can Chris Klieman have at least some success at Kansas State after having remarkable seasons  at North Dakota State? Who knows how well he will be able to recruit in the FBS versus the FCS. He is indeed in a more attractive conference than let’s say Craig Bohl at Wyoming, who has had a couple of okay winning seasons, and they went to bowl games each season. Bohl’s other two season were a losing record and 500. Will Klieman have similar records, or could he in three or four years compete for the North Division Championship? I must be honest that I’m skeptical of successful FCS coaches doing well in the FBS. However, I give credit to KSU for making this hire, because since you never know, it could work. Can you think of a better hire?

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Can Chris Klieman have at least some success at Kansas State after having remarkable seasons  at North Dakota State? Who knows how well he will be able to recruit in the FBS versus the FCS. He is indeed in a more attractive conference than let’s say Craig Bohl at Wyoming, who has had a couple of okay winning seasons, and they went to bowl games each season. Bohl’s other two season were a losing record and 500. Will Klieman have similar records, or could he in three or four years compete for the North Division Championship? I must be honest that I’m skeptical of successful FCS coaches doing well in the FBS. However, I give credit to KSU for making this hire, because since you never know, it could work. Can you think of a better hire?

There are no more divisions in the B12 (as of now). I don't think KS will ever be what it was under Snyder. It's probably the toughest P5 job to recruit to. He did such a great job getting JUCO kids and developing average talent. 

Klieman may or may not have success, KSU is difficult to recruit to, but his formula is very much along the lines of vintage Snyder. Strong defense, big up front, and rushing the football. 

Some of these Big 12 teams are like ants playing football. Fast, but small. A team that can line up with some tight ends and fullbacks does create a significant problem for most of that conference. Defensively, it's a lot of 4 man rush with some twists and games up front and deep coverage. They're predicated on making drives long. Not a bad way to go if you have trouble recruiting.

27 season, 1 conference title, 1 shared conference title, 3 division titles, 9-10 in bowl games.

That's good, but not that great in the grand scheme of CFB (and I understand that KSUx was basically at the Mariana's Trench of college football before he came).

They doomed to get left out in the next round of conference realignment, so no, I don't see them being as "great" as they were during Snyder's time.

On December 12, 2018 at 8:36 AM, GSG said:

They doomed to get left out in the next round of conference realignment, so no, I don't see them being as "great" as they were during Snyder's time.

I don't think there is any question that they won't match Snyder's peak. The reason is, of course, recruiting. Consider this in the world of the same teams making the playoffs...Alabama currently has more Top 100 players committed than the entire PAC-12. They get more 4 star and above recruits than some divisions across college football. That's the world we are in now, and it's vastly different than the mid to late 90s. KSU fans have to accept that just as we have.

That's the scenario for any coach they would have hired. KSU fans are angry at a few things.

1)It's not a big name hire. They've seen this day arrive in their imaginations practically since gramps came back. They've set their gaze on a Venables, or even a Leavitt. Certainly not an FCS coach. Regardless of his accomplishments, it's a natural let down.

2)They see it as a homer pick. Gene Taylor, KSU's AD, was North Dakota State's AD when Klieman was promoted to replace Bohl.