CFB Power Brokers Discussing Expansion Of CFP To 8

seaofred92

I know this is more general CFB than specifically related to the Huskers but this is a big big deal: 

https://theathletic.com/708538/2018/12/12/college-football-playoff-expansion-eight-team-support/

The first four years of the College Football Playoff were considered a success. The four-team format has been more universally accepted than the old BCS system, and it has kept fans engaged throughout the country.

But ahead of Year 5’s national semifinals featuring Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma, there is a sense of growing discontent with certain aspects of the CFP system, including the selection committee’s deference to the SEC and what some consider unfair treatment of UCF.

Now, a number of influential voices in college football are calling for a serious look at expansion.

There is a groundswell of support to expedite expansion before the end of the CFP’s initial 12-year contract with ESPN in 2026, with many telling The Athletic they support an eight-team format.

“It’s an appropriate thing to begin thinking about,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told The Athletic this week.

• Plus1 1

It will eventually be 8....I think that kind of changes things in regards to National Titles. Nebraska has 0 losses in the 5 NC we have. Nick Saban has only gone undefeated once out of his 6 national titles. 8 teams would allow the elite teams to lose a game each year and still be in the top 8 to still have a chance at the NC. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It will eventually be 8....I think that kind of changes things in regards to National Titles. Nebraska has 0 losses in the 5 NC we have. Nick Saban has only gone undefeated once out of his 6 national titles. 8 teams would allow the elite teams to lose a game each year and still be in the top 8 to still have a chance at the NC. 

I also think that more teams are competitive now and 1 loss now is probably equal to 0 back when you could just stack rosters

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Don't forget that he didn't win his division or his conference in 2 of those years either :D

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think 8 is great. The current 4 team system has teams every year get in with a loss. 8 would just give more 1 or 2 loss teams a chance- plus it would give UCF their crack. I dont think UCF would have any shot to win a playoff- but it would be fun to give them a chance. For example- this year they would probably be the 8 seed and play Alabama and get destroyed. But at least we wouldnt have to listen to them whine anymore. Heck we almost had to watch a 2 loss Georgia team- who lost their last game of the season make it to the current 4 team structure over 1 loss P5 conference champions. So if we are going to have to watch 2 SEC teams get in the 4 team playoff most years then might as well expand to 8 and give more teams from more conferences a chance. 

The thing I like about the idea of each conference champion gets an auto bid to the playoff is that it keeps every fanbases hopes alive for most of the season. Say Nebraska. As long as we are alive to win our division in the big 10- we still have a shot to get in the playoff and win a National Championship. I think that would make for an exciting season.

4 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I also think that more teams are competitive now and 1 loss now is probably equal to 0 back when you could just stack rosters

Not necessarily. If you look back every year you usually had 2-3 undefeated teams at the end of the year. This year you have 3. Most years you have 2-3. So I dont think that has changed much. But the talent is spread around more. But on the flip side Alabama and Clemson are stacked rosters. So is Ohio State.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, jager said:

I am big advocate for conference champs. If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve to be there. This is would make it like having regional champs. 

They don’t even do that with a 4 team playoff, so I doubt they’ll do it with 8.

What they can do with 8 is put in undefeated G5 champ(s) over P5 teams that didn’t win the conference. If there are no undefeated G5 teams, P5 teams that aren’t conference champs should have a chance at the playoff. E.g. this year it could’ve been Georgia, Ohio State, and UCF.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There's an obvious and simple way to do an 8 team playoff. 5 slots to the P5 conference champs. 1 slot for the "best" G5 conference champ. 2 slots for independents and other teams. Keep the committee to decide on the 3 non-P5-champs and to seed them 1-8 for the playoffs.

Of course, that's too obvious and simple, so that's never going to happen.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There's an obvious and simple way to do an 8 team playoff. 5 slots to the P5 conference champs. 1 slot for the "best" G5 conference champ. 2 slots for independents and other teams. Keep the committee to decide on the 3 non-P5-champs and to seed them 1-8 for the playoffs.

Of course, that's too obvious and simple, so that's never going to happen.

I think the top G5 school should have to be within the top 12 or so to make the playoff. If the highest ranked G5 is a 9-3 Boise State ranked 21st, then 3 at large teams from P5.

• Plus1 3

Haven't heard one honest explanation as to why we started with a 4 team playoff system when we have 5 power conferences considered equal to one another... that system will inherently be unfair and guaranteed to leave out at least one conference champ each year, 2 when notre dame has a solid year.

All conference champs and then next 3 highest ranked teams.  Makes conference champ weekend and late november football way more compelling when teams 6-12 are fighting for the last spots.

I'm 100% against a 6 team because it gives the top 2 team an inherent advantage with a week off and since its impossible to have equal schedules, do not want a scenario where a biased committee dictates who gets a bye.

Start the 3rd round this weekend, 2nd round around new years and title game where it is now.

Who the F says no to that?

• Fire 1