Jump to content
suh_fan93

MLB 2019 Season

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well it looks like the hunt for Harper is on.  The White Sox?  Hmm...

 

 

 

 

 

Harper will go to the Cubs. Machado will go to the Yankees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Harper will go to the Cubs. Machado will go to the Yankees

 

Yeah the Cubs talk I have read has calmed down compared to a week ago.  They just announced a few days ago they're keeping Schwarber.  Who knows though with Bryce Harper.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

 

Yeah the Cubs talk I have read has calmed down compared to a week ago.  They just announced a few days ago they're keeping Schwarber.  Who knows though with Bryce Harper.  

 

 

I am still hearing Cubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

I am still hearing Cubs.

All I have heard for the last 12 months is the Cubs and how he's best friends with Kris Bryant and how they really want to play together.  Cubs supposedly didn't sign some players last year that they could have, to save money for Harper this year.

 

I'm going to be disappointed if that doesn't happen and they miss out on other good players too.  This team was a couple players shy of being really good again last year.  Let's get it put together for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm starting to become less and less of a fan of the Ricketts' ownership.

 

I mean I was not a fan at all when they first bought the Cubs.  They did hire Theo and get us that World Series we needed so badly.  For me personally I would like to see them look towards pitching once again in free agency.  In a perfect world I would love to be able to watch Bryce Harper play baseball in a Cub uniform at Wrigley field also.  Definitely.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

 

I mean I was not a fan at all when they first bought the Cubs.  They did hire Theo and get us that World Series we needed so badly.  For me personally I would like to see them look towards pitching once again in free agency.  In a perfect world I would also love to be able to watch Bryce Harper play baseball in a Cub uniform at Wrigley field also.  Definitely.

 

 

 

 

Two things I seriously thought they were going to do in the off season.  I thought we would have Harper already signed along with at least a couple good pitchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone in the Cubs organization that is aware that it's the off season and when top players are signed to teams to try to win a championship?

 

HELLO????  ANYONE?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they could technically afford it, but the Cubs have the 2nd highest payroll in the league currently. They also had a team good enough to compete for championship last year, and while obviously Harper/Machado/any other $20+ million a year player make you better, I don't know how much they increase you World Series odds on an already stacked team. They'll be fine. They're also going to have to start paying Bryant and Rizzo more than 13 and 11 million soon, and I don't think you want them to pay Harper if it means they can't pay those 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I know they could technically afford it, but the Cubs have the 2nd highest payroll in the league currently. They also had a team good enough to compete for championship last year, and while obviously Harper/Machado/any other $20+ million a year player make you better, I don't know how much they increase you World Series odds on an already stacked team. They'll be fine. They're also going to have to start paying Bryant and Rizzo more than 13 and 11 million soon, and I don't think you want them to pay Harper if it means they can't pay those 2.

Also throw in Baez who settled for around 11 million in arbitration this year and Contreras in the not so distant future. Being a Cards fan I don't know exactly what their payroll looks like but to me you get a healthy Bryant back Baez plays short I still think Bote is the guy to keep an eye on and Rizzo at 1st. That's a solid infield to me. Then with Schwarber, Almora and Heyward that is a more than serviceble OF with Zobrist being the ultra utility guy. 

 

To me the Cubs need to look toward solidifying the rotation and pen. Dravish is an unknown and outside of maybe Edwards and Strop the pen struggled last year. Getting Daivs back should help that big time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

Also throw in Baez who settled for around 11 million in arbitration this year and Contreras in the not so distant future. Being a Cards fan I don't know exactly what their payroll looks like but to me you get a healthy Bryant back Baez plays short I still think Bote is the guy to keep an eye on and Rizzo at 1st. That's a solid infield to me. Then with Schwarber, Almora and Heyward that is a more than serviceble OF with Zobrist being the ultra utility guy. 

 

To me the Cubs need to look toward solidifying the rotation and pen. Dravish is an unknown and outside of maybe Edwards and Strop the pen struggled last year. Getting Daivs back should help that big time. 

 

Well said and couldn't agree more.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

Also throw in Baez who settled for around 11 million in arbitration this year and Contreras in the not so distant future. Being a Cards fan I don't know exactly what their payroll looks like but to me you get a healthy Bryant back Baez plays short I still think Bote is the guy to keep an eye on and Rizzo at 1st. That's a solid infield to me. Then with Schwarber, Almora and Heyward that is a more than serviceble OF with Zobrist being the ultra utility guy. 

 

To me the Cubs need to look toward solidifying the rotation and pen. Dravish is an unknown and outside of maybe Edwards and Strop the pen struggled last year. Getting Daivs back should help that big time. 

 

All very good points.  I'm actually more frustrated with the lack of shoring up the rotation and bullpen than not signing Harper.  I am not confident at all in our pitching right now...especially our bullpen.

 

Lester - how long do they really think they can ride him?

Hendricks - I like.....no problem here.

Darvish - injury problems and wasn't that good before he got injured.

Quintana - Not bad....had his moments last year both good and bad.

 

After that?????  And, our bullpen.....blaaaa.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

 

I had to read that about 10 times to make sure I read that right.  That shocks me.  Of all the great baseball players that have been voted in, not one of them was unanimous?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I had to read that about 10 times to make sure I read that right.  That shocks me.  Of all the great baseball players that have been voted in, not one of them was unanimous?

 

Apparently so.  The tweet I posted above shows who were the closest.  But there was a segment on ESPN asking him about being the first that was unanimous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Apparently so.  The tweet I posted above shows who were the closest.  But there was a segment on ESPN asking him about being the first that was unanimous.

 

Wow...Heck, I'm thinking about someone like Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous?  Interesting.  Must have been a Redsox fan that voted against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

I had to read that about 10 times to make sure I read that right.  That shocks me.  Of all the great baseball players that have been voted in, not one of them was unanimous?

 

It was a weird source of pride among the old voters that no one was unanimous. The logic was something along the lines of player X (Babe, Willie Mays, Cy Young, etc) wasn't unanimous, so it would be insulting for a "lesser" player to be. No idea why initial guys weren't unanimous in the first place, but it's pretty stupid logic - guys would exclude players they knew were getting in just be make sure it wasn't 100% though. They cut back the number of voters and that has a lot to do with the things like PED users and specialists like DH and relief pitchers gaining ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

 

It was a weird source of pride among the old voters that no one was unanimous. The logic was something along the lines of player X (Babe, Willie Mays, Cy Young, etc) wasn't unanimous, so it would be insulting for a "lesser" player to be. No idea why initial guys weren't unanimous in the first place, but it's pretty stupid logic - guys would exclude players they knew were getting in just be make sure it wasn't 100% though. They cut back the number of voters and that has a lot to do with the things like PED users and specialists like DH and relief pitchers gaining ground.

Baseball is weird in so many ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few players more deserving of being unanimously selected than Mo Rivera. Complete domination for the entirety of his career and there will never be a closer more dominant than he was, let alone with 1 pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Aaahhh.....city of brotherly love. 

 

 

 

Kind of makes this guy look like an idiot.  I wonder if he'll cheer for him now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks like he changed his mind.
 

 

I am underwhelmed by him signing with the Phillies but I like Harper.  Would have been cool had he somehow signed with the Cubs but in the end that was more click bait than anything else and the White Sox were the one's actually in the race for Harper.  Will be interesting to see how he does in Philly.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GSG said:

MLB Food Roundup: Check Out the Best Stadium Eats This Season

 

texas-rangers-fowl-pole-food.jpg&w=800&q

 

The Fowl Pole (Global Life Park in Arlington)

 

The Rangers are offering a two-pound tender battered and fried that will be served with waffle fries and ranch and honey mustard dipping sauce.

 

They should list the prices for these items. Some of these look pretty enticing, but they probably also cost about $20 each. When I go to the ballpark, I might get a plain ol' hot dog and a cotton candy for the kids, but anything more than that is too costly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×