MLB 2019 Season

suh_fan93

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

they'll start adjusting the shift to take away the bunt if he does it again.

Which I'm sure is his goal, then he can keep hitting line drives where the shift used to be. It's not a bad move, and I'm sure he's just doing it to make teams a little more hesitant to use a shift that extreme. In general they don't care a whole lot if Carpenter bunts for a single, but if their positioning turns it into a double they'll have to change it up a little.

16 minutes ago, desertshox said:

you cant bunt it out of the park. nobody pays to see bunts.  /s

they'll start adjusting the shift to take away the bunt if he does it again.

I'll sit and watch a bunt fest all day long if it means the Cubs are winning.  :)

Yes, this would force an adjustment on the shift, which plays into his hands.  The fact is, way too many teams are selling out to stop one side of the field.  Batters need to make them pay for it.  A lot of batters have a hard time hitting to the other side consistently.  So, a bunt makes it easier to control.  

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

More teams are using a shift on defense.  This is an awesome batting adjustment to that.  I'm surprised we don't see it more.

Agreed.  But I don't know if I've ever seen someone shift leaving NO ONE on one side.  Usually they move the shortstop to the other side of second base and the third baseman basically plays shortstop.  Not sure what they were doing here.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Agreed.  But I don't know if I've ever seen someone shift leaving NO ONE on one side.  Usually they move the shortstop to the other side of second base and the third baseman basically plays shortstop.  Not sure what they were doing here.

True.

Typically, that third baseman is playing a fairly deep shortstop isn't he?  Doing it so he has time to cover a lot of ground?  It would be interesting to see more batters lay down a bunt and just get it far enough down the baseline that the pitcher can't field it in time.  It wouldn't be a double, but it could produce a good number of singles.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

thats what got me too. maybe bring the left fielder in if they have to put both the ss and 3b on the right side. or maybe they just didnt think he could bunt since it seems everyone sucks at it nowadays.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

True.

Typically, that third baseman is playing a fairly deep shortstop isn't he?  Doing it so he has time to cover a lot of ground?  It would be interesting to see more batters lay down a bunt and just get it far enough down the baseline that the pitcher can't field it in time.  It wouldn't be a double, but it could produce a good number of singles.

Exactly.  I think you can bunt for singles a lot of times.  Not sure how he was able to bunt for a double.

7 minutes ago, desertshox said:

thats what got me too. maybe bring the left fielder in if they have to put both the ss and 3b on the right side. or maybe they just didnt think he could bunt since it seems everyone sucks at it nowadays.

Chris Bryant is shifted on the most at around 54% of the time.  I'm assuming it's probably any time someone isn't on base already.  

If I were him, i would be practicing that bunt.

Which brings up another strategy.  Get people on base in front of him.