CANCELLED! New Mexico State Game 17-19

New Mexico State finished 40-22 last year and 17-7 in the WAC last year.

New Mexico State won the Western Athletic Conference Baseball Tournament last year by beating CSU Bakersfield 4-0, Sacramento State 2-0, Seattle U 11-1, losing to Sacramento State 3-4, then beating them for the championship 4-3.

They advanced to the Lubbock Regional where they lost to Texas Tech 2-9, and Kent State 1-2.

New Mexico State finished 84 in the RPI last year.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

New Mexico State is picked to win the Western Athletic Conference according to College Baseball Daily:

New Mexico State (2018 Record: 40-22, 17-7)

They entered the WAC Tournament as the three seed but ultimately won and advanced to the regionals in a 40-win season.

Returning Players

Second baseman Nick Gonzales is back after leading the team with a .347 average last year to go along with 40 runs scored, 17 doubles, 9 home runs, and 36 RBI. First baseman Caleb Henderson hit .341 a season ago with 50 runs scored, 20 doubles, 10 home runs, and 65 RBI. Outfielder Tristen Carranza is back for his senior season after hitting .325 last year with 43 runs scored, 11 doubles, 9 home runs, and 53 RBI. Shortstop Joey Ortiz hit .289 a year ago with 58 runs scored, 7 home runs, 54 RBI, and 13 stolen bases. Outfielder Logan Ehnes hit .314 last year with 57 runs scored, 10 doubles, 5 triples, 7 home runs, and 40 RBI.

Alex Pinedo will try to lead the weekend rotation with their two top starters from last year departing. Pinedo had a 3.34 ERA last year in 70 innings pitched with 53 strikeouts. Chance Hroch had a 2.67 ERA last year out of the bullpen with 23 strikeouts in 27 innings. Brock Whittlesey should be back for his senior season after posting a 2.95 ERA in 2018 over 61 innings pitched with 60 strikeouts and 12 saves. Justin Dehn made 13 starts last year with a 4.57 ERA in 63 innings pitched with 60 strikeouts.

Outlook for 2019

The offense has a chance to be one of the best in the country with almost all of their key contributors coming back. While they lose a couple of their top pitchers, there is enough coming back for them to not only repeat in the WAC but possibly earn an at-large bid if they get some quality RPI wins out-of-conference.

Predicted Order to Finish:

1. New Mexico State

2. Sacramento State

3. Grand Canyon

4. Seattle

5. CSU Bakersfield

6. Northern Colorado

7. California Baptist

8. UT Rio Grande Valley

9. Chicago State

10. Utah Valley

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

30 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

This could've been a fun series...

Agreed. And it would have been good to see our kids (most likely) get on the right side of .500. 

At least we should see a full slate of baseball at home next week--highs in the 50s and lows at or just below freezing all week long. 

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

I mean... I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket but I think we have a very good chance to start Big Ten play off very well.

I concur. And if we can get both of those games against Air Force next week, we'll start B1G play on the right foot. 

3 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

I just hope they practice hard this weekend or do a simulated game to keep the momentum going. Just don't want these cancelled games to hurt us.

Have Erstad put out a call to some under-18 club and high school teams for scrimmages?

• hskrfan4life changed the title to CANCELLED! New Mexico State Game 17-19