*Opponent Preview - Northwestern** Games 46-48

13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The move to the B1G was great for a lot of sports, but it was a terrible move for baseball.  Not playing southward all the time is a huge detriment to the program.

That shouldn't cause us to be this bad. 

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The move to the B1G was great for a lot of sports, but it was a terrible move for baseball.  Not playing southward all the time is a huge detriment to the program.

Actually, I thought the move to the Big Ten would be a giant home run.

I truly expected baseball to be the first sport to dominate. This has been a huge and disappointing disaster.

• Plus1 3
49 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That might make sense if we weren't talking about getting demolished in a series-loss-clinching game against a Northwestern team that came into this series in 11th place in the conference.  "The Big 10 is so bad, we shouldn't even expect to beat the teams in it" :facepalm:

And you play more non-conference games than B1G games, so there are plenty of opportunities to play teams from the south and western US.  Erstad's scheduling is very astute, almost too tough at times.

There’s no excusing these losses. And I have zero faith that our problems will be resolved before Arizona State and Michigan show up.

Here’s hoping that Moos does an evaluation and (at a minimum) finds us a new hitting coach. Or better yet, let’s just cut bait with Erstad and go pick up Will. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Comish said:

Actually, I thought the move to the Big Ten would be a giant home run.

I truly expected baseball to be the first sport to dominate. This has been a huge and disappointing disaster.

Curious why you thought that.  It was a move to a poor conference with terrible spring baseball weather,  away from where the talent is.  

4 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

That might make sense if we weren't talking about getting demolished in a series-loss-clinching game against a Northwestern team that came into this series in 11th place in the conference.  "The Big 10 is so bad, we shouldn't even expect to beat the teams in it" :facepalm:

And you play more non-conference games than B1G games, so there are plenty of opportunities to play teams from the south and western US.  Erstad's scheduling is very astute, almost too tough at times.

I was saying it was a terrible move as no top talent wants to play baseball in the big ten.  They want to be in the west or south all the time,  not just a few non conference games a year and then play the rest in 40 degrees. 

Erstad somehow managed to pull the #16 recruiting class in the nation.

2300z.jpg

Looks to me like the average B1G temperature today outside of Minnesota and PA/NJ ranged from the 50s-70s.  And same with that argument in football: good luck if you want to play MLB for New York, the Twins, Boston, et al this time of year.  You might have to play a month or two in the 40s-50s.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Erstad somehow managed to pull the #16 recruiting class in the nation.

2300z.jpg

Looks to me like the average B1G temperature today outside of Minnesota and PA/NJ ranged from the 50s-70s.  And same with that argument in football: good luck if you want to play MLB for New York, the Twins, Boston, et al this time of year.  You might have to play a month or two in the 40s-50s.

The season's almost over, so today's temperature really doesn't hold water in an argument.  Taking 10% of the teams, for less than 1/4 of a season in MLB is your argument for the same thing?

The on field results speak for the recruiting ratings.  

33 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The season's almost over, so today's temperature really doesn't hold water in an argument.  Taking 10% of the teams, for less than 1/4 of a season in MLB is your argument for the same thing?

The on field results speak for the recruiting ratings.  

And yet we have had more freshman contributing from a highly ranked class than we have for awhile.