Bunch transferring

SUHperman

20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's not like other positions where you can work your way into a rotation or play special teams, if you know you're not going to play there aren't a lot of reasons to stick around.

That would mean there's no good reason for a competent quarterback to back-up Adrian Martinez for the next three years. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That would mean there's no good reason for a competent quarterback to back-up Adrian Martinez for the next three years. 

I agree for the most part. Vedral is unique because he's a Nebraska kid, so he's probably ok being the backup for the rest of his career - with how we run the QB and ideally a lot of blowout wins, the 2nd string will play. Very few good QBs would do that, and I don't think any would stay as 3rd string. McCaffrey, Smothers, and anyone else we recruit won't be behind him their entire careers like Bunch/Vedral are. McCaffrey redshirts year 1, then is a backup years 2 and 3 and in position to start the next two. Who knows if that's how it works out, but he has a path to playing time that Bunch doesn't

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It might have been scarier but I don't see how it could've been uglier. We lost both games where he got snaps before the game was over.

As embarrassing as losing to Troy at home is, they might have shut us out without Bunch. Record-wise we're probably the same with or without him, but he also saved Martinez some hits against Michigan - maybe Martinez gets hurt again if he had to stay in, who knows. Probably would've been the same amount of ugly, but I could see it going much worse.