Bunch transferring

SUHperman

5 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Gebbia made a decision about his future that some Husker fans see as selfish.  There's a good argument there.  Others see these fans' point of view as being selfish and there is an arguement there too.  

I understood Gebbia's decision.  The only thing that irked me was the timing of the decision, and the ability to go to Oregon State because of their quarter system so he could use 2018 as his sit-out season.

7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yeah I don't understand why fans have a problem with it being selfish.

Gebbia made a decision for maximum playing time at another university.  He's a #1 QB type of talent...he just didn't fit the system here as well as AM.  Fans being silly and lame made a narrative that he was being selfish and wasn't a team player.

That's absolute BS.  

He could be a team player and one of the best teammates known to man and still transfer.  Thinking that in order to be a team player you have to sit on the bench for 3 years when you could be starting elsewhere is stupidity.  

Regardless of who you think Gebbia is...he is one of the greatest QB to come out of California in all of history.  Only 8 total QBs have ever passed 10,000 yards and 100 TD's...ever.  He was also a top 100 talent.  Think about how much football talent comes out of Cali.  That's absurd to think he should just ride the pine.

Thinking he should take his talent and sit, shut up, and color is purely short sighted and wrong.  Fans assume to have that audacity though and it's crazy to me that you'd trash the work ethic, mentality, and talent of a 18-19 year old just because you need it to fit a narrative so you can be salty about it.  Makes me ill to think about.

Anyway, rant over.

To the bolded -- transferring during game week and bailing on your team, which should always come first, is incredibly selfish.

We>Me

• Plus1 3

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

And that's NOT a bad thing.  You guys act like a kid who's only commodity for football is his playing time...should be sold out as a non team player because he preserves it.  To me, that's being bitter and salty.  I don't fault him one bit and will watch him and wish him well at Oregon state.

Hey that is the only thing I said and I said it to be snarky. 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

And Gebbia had a chance to beat Martinez?  Seriously?  So you're saying husker fans are mad at Gebbia because he transferred knowing he would never be the full time starter but everyone is okay with bunch transferring because he would never start....they are kind of similar 

Unless you subscribe to conspiracy theories, all legitimate accounts of last year's QB battle between Gebbia and Martinez suggested the two were highly competitive and the decision came down to the wire. Bunch was eliminated much earlier in the process. So, yes, seriously.

And now you're moving the goal posts. There's a difference between a 'double standard' and 'kind of similar.' The former suggests an identical situation with one level of variance. The latter could mean anything depending on your interpretation. The two situations share only one similarity - a QB looking to transfer. Otherwise, there are significant differences making them unalike, so stop trying to stoke a fire where there is none.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

And Gebbia had a chance to beat Martinez?  Seriously?  So you're saying husker fans are mad at Gebbia because he transferred knowing he would never be the full time starter but everyone is okay with bunch transferring because he would never start....they are kind of similar 

Bunch transferring isn't a big deal because he is a walk on that should have never seen the field outside of mop up duty let alone start a game.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This one's weird because he had to know he was going to be a career backup when he transferred here.  Everyone knew.

Yeah, I can't agree more!

I get the old "Give it your best shot" and "If I give it my all I can win the spot" but come on...that is so few and far between and I am sure even if he was totally confident in his ability that he had to know.

I remember wrestling in high school...Thursdays were our wrestle off days for the weekend tournament.  By about the 3rd week of the season you sort of knew who you could beat and who was going to rip your throat out, show it to you, then go take your girlfriend out that night.

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This one's weird because he had to know he was going to be a career backup when he transferred here.  Everyone knew.

True, but maybe the taste of playing time was enough to rethink that plan. He played well enough against Troy, and even the experience practicing against a D1 defense will have him well prepared to play down a level.

Enjoyed reading this thread.  Amidst all the viewpoints expressed is the truth that Martinez barely beat out Gebbia and would be the starter.  The spot would be earned/merited based off of performance.  Martinez got injured and Gebbia would have stepped in to be the starter.  Who knows what he would have done with that opportunity.  I believed in him and think he would have kept that spot for two games.  We will never know, Gebbia could have impressed and Frost kept him there.  We went 0-6.  Perhaps Gebbia steps in, we go 4-2 instead of 0-6.

What we do know is that Gebbia never mentioned or threatened to leave if he got beat out honestly.  He was a competitor and team player.  It sounded like in his own mind his perception was he was not going to ever be the starter.  From what I know of Frost, that is not true.

So, if he would have stayed, who knows, perhaps Martinez would move on as Gebbia took advantage of the opportunity and was good enough to never let go.

Enjoyed the banter regardless.

Now back to Bunch ... all the best to him ... and Gebbia.

4 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed reading this thread.  Amidst all the viewpoints expressed is the truth that Martinez barely beat out Gebbia and would be the starter.  The spot would be earned/merited based off of performance.  Martinez got injured and Gebbia would have stepped in to be the starter.  Who knows what he would have done with that opportunity.  I believed in him and think he would have kept that spot for two games.  We will never know, Gebbia could have impressed and Frost kept him there.  We went 0-6.  Perhaps Gebbia steps in, we go 4-2 instead of 0-6.

What we do know is that Gebbia never mentioned or threatened to leave if he got beat out honestly.  He was a competitor and team player.  It sounded like in his own mind his perception was he was not going to ever be the starter.  From what I know of Frost, that is not true.

So, if he would have stayed, who knows, perhaps Martinez would move on as Gebbia took advantage of the opportunity and was good enough to never let go.

Enjoyed the banter regardless.

Now back to Bunch ... all the best to him ... and Gebbia.

If you really think that it was a super close race...well I have some news for you.

• Plus1 2