Bunch transferring

SUHperman

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

We had another walk on QB on the team.  The result of the game he started would have likely been the same.

Reading this thread, I’ve learned that being a scholarship QB and transferring less than 7 days before the first game is what you should do if you don’t win the starting job. Also, as a walk on, you should never see the field unless it’s mop up duty. 

These two thought processes together don’t  work in the real world. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Reading this thread, I’ve learned that being a scholarship QB and transferring less than 7 days before the first game is what you should do if you don’t win the starting job. Also, as a walk on, you should never see the field unless it’s mop up duty. 

These two thought processes together don’t  work in the real world. 

I would bet every P5 coach would agree with me that walk on QB's aren't intended to be starters or even play much.  They are there to run scout team.  Baker Mayfield is an extreme exception to the rule.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would bet every P5 coach would agree with me that walk on QB's aren't intended to be starters or even play much.  They are there to run scout team.  Baker Mayfield is an extreme exception to the rule.

Baker Mayfield also had decent scholarship offers by non-Power 5 schools and played for a high school power during his high school days in Texas, so it wasn't like he was the plucky walk-on who made it big.

I do agree with you in that walk-ons should be used for scout team and provide depth, with the occasional starter coming out of the pack in certain situations.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Baker Mayfield also had decent scholarship offers by non-Power 5 schools and played for a high school power during his high school days in Texas, so it wasn't like he was the plucky walk-on who made it big.

I do agree with you in that walk-ons should be used for scout team and provide depth, with the occasional starter coming out of the pack in certain situations.

I'm with you.

I can see a LB, lineman, maybe a receiver coming from walk on to starter and doing really well.  Just not QB.  In the modern history of our storied walk on program, it hasn't happened and people probably shouldn't want it to happen.

• Plus1 1

QB1 competes for starting job, loses, decides to transfer at the last possible second, the week before Game 1, so that he is able to in order to preserve an entire year of eligibility with hope of being the starting quarterback elsewhere.

QB2 is a walk on, doesn't really seriously compete, doesn't really have any realistic chance of meaningful playing time, decides to transfer with hope of being the starting quarterback elsewhere. He's still bailing on his team. He's still making decisions for himself over team, just like QB1 is. We just don't care because he's not a loss.

The biggest difference between the two (not the only) is that one hurt OUR team. Which is the thing that made him bad to a lot of people I suppose. Maybe there's some great power/great responsibility thing in there somewhere, but the 'double standard' seems to be that if you're a pretty good player and you leave you'll get your integrity questioned by many, but if you're not that good everyone will wish you well as you ride off.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:26 AM, Moiraine said:

He’s mocking the people who got mad at Gebbia.

Obviously. The curious part is, I wonder if he realizes the differences and circumstances under which each of them decided to leave. Not the same situations imo.

Edit- Oops....he answered my question. Apparently he doesn't understand how these are different situations. Or maybe he just doesn't want to let go of the narrative he's pushing.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Apparently he doesn't understand how these are different situations. 

I laid out the two different scenarios as being different, and then said what I thought the biggest difference was, and even acknowledged that it wasn't the only difference. What is it that I apparently don't understand? 

40 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I haven't read anywhere that someone has stated Gebbia SHOULD have left because he lost the starting job.  I've read where people have said they understand why he did it and don't blame him for it.  Those are 2 totally different things

Gebbia should have left because he lost the starting job. I understand why he did it, and don't blame him for it. 

This has been going on forever, but it does seem that more quarterbacks are getting more professional career guidance, meaning that every high school superstar with NFL aspirations will be told not to tolerate a supporting role, looking at college football as essentially 4 years of free agency. Many of the QBs simply aren't that great, and could benefit from the adversity and challenge of practicing harder, and stepping in when the starting QB gets injured or leaves early, which happens frequently and often turns the replacement QB into a bigger story than he'd be as the 4 - 8 starter at New Mexico State. The "start me or I quit" attitude reinforces the notion (largely true) that the QB is a rare animal and is not subject to the team-building concept you see at other positions, each one with a depth chart.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Gebbia should have left because he lost the starting job. I understand why he did it, and don't blame him for it. 

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

Yup.  Kid might have a shot at playing on Sundays.  Not gonna happen riding the pine.

So.....if this is true, it’s not comparable with the belief that a walk-in should never start a game or play meaningful minutes.