Bunch transferring

SUHperman

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So.....if this is true, it’s not comparable with the belief that a walk-in should never start a game or play meaningful minutes. 

If a walk-on has proven himself to be better than a scholarship athlete in practice, then he should get every opportunity to play meaningful minutes and starts. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So.....if this is true, it’s not comparable with the belief that a walk-in should never start a game or play meaningful minutes. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

If a walk-on has proven himself to be better than a scholarship athlete in practice, then he should get every opportunity to play meaningful minutes and starts. 

I agree.  One situation is not comparable to other.  If you're Gebbia and put up ridiculous numbers in high school of course you should go somewhere where you have an opportunity to play.  If you're Bunch and you put up decent numbers in high school but everyone but you knows you're probably still going to be a backup somewhere else, besides a small school, transferring probably doesn't make as much sense.  Gebbia knows he's starter material.   I'm not sure Bunch knows he isn't.

46 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Gebbia should have left because he lost the starting job. I understand why he did it, and don't blame him for it. 

I guess I looked at it a little differently.  I didn't think he lost the job yet.  He lost the opportunity to start the first game.  Frost had to choose between 2 unknowns.  It wasn't like Gebbia was in the same situation as Jalen Hurts or the guy from Clemson where a proven player was supplanted.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I guess I looked at it a little differently.  I didn't think he lost the job yet.  He lost the opportunity to start the first game.  Frost had to choose between 2 unknowns.  It wasn't like Gebbia was in the same situation as Jalen Hurts or the guy from Clemson where a proven player was supplanted.

I think Gebbia could see the writing on the wall.  Especially now that we've seen how the season played out.  There was no way Gebbia was overtaking Martinez, barring injury.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

The biggest difference between the two (not the only) is that one hurt OUR team. Which is the thing that made him bad to a lot of people I suppose. Maybe there's some great power/great responsibility thing in there somewhere, but the 'double standard' seems to be that if you're a pretty good player and you leave you'll get your integrity questioned by many, but if you're not that good everyone will wish you well as you ride off.

Is that unfair or unrealistic, though? It doesn't seem that way to me. For something to be a double standard, we need to apply virtually the exact same parameters, limitations, qualifications, etc., to two different people/groups. We can't do that with Gebbia and Bunch so the notion that a double standard is being applied is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

I mean, let's just call a spade a spade - Bunch is a walk-on and his leaving doesn't feel like a significant loss. The Gebbia situation was a lot different. It seems like we (at least, most) agree on this. I don't think that makes anyone a hypocrite or guilty of unfairly applying a double standard. I think it's an example of people acknowledging honest disparities.

I just hate the black and white, pigeon-holing narrative some people try to employ (I'm not accusing you of this Landlord, btw, just pointing it out overall). I'm disappointed Gebbia did what he did and the tough situation it put Nebraska in, but I simultaneously understand his decision. I believe both things can be true and I can hold both opinions. I don't feel I should be obligated to choose a side.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

For me, as it was when it first happened, it's merely a business decision. Gebbia knew he didn't fit Frost's offense like Martinez does, and while he gave a valiant effort, he had to have known that had he not gotten the job this year, he was never going to earn it. This, coupled with the ability to enroll at Oregon State without losing a year of eligibility, was too good of a deal to pass up. 

56 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I'm aware.  There's obviously no way to know for sure but I still think it would have only been temporary.  And it's not like Gebbia could stick around and bank on that happening.

Gebbia can't bank on securing the starting job at Oregon State, either. 

Every team should carry at least three quarterbacks who think they deserve to start, and who ride the pine knowing they could be asked to come in cold at any second and lead their team to a win. 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

I laid out the two different scenarios as being different, and then said what I thought the biggest difference was, and even acknowledged that it wasn't the only difference. What is it that I apparently don't understand? 

That it's not as simple as one player is better than the other. That may exacerbate the issue but, in my mind, the real problem was the timing and apparent lack of transparency and honesty. By all accounts, Frost and our staff have been very honest and open with these players and I get the impression they understand it just won't work out for some guys and that they support them when they decide to leave. So yeah, it kind of ticked me off when his last minute decision took them by surprise. It makes me think he wasn't operating with full faith like they were.

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Gebbia can't bank on securing the starting job at Oregon State, either. 

Every team should carry at least three quarterbacks who think they deserve to start, and who ride the pine knowing they could be asked to come in cold at any second and lead their team to a win. 

That's true but I think he's pretty much a shoe-in to win the job.  Don't think he'd transfer somewhere where he wasn't.  That would kind of defeat the purpose.  

While I agree and it's great in theory, that's not even close to the reality of the college football world.  Which is why we see qbs transferring left and right.  Most qbs who are starting material or think they are, are going to go somewhere where they think they can start.

25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That it's not as simple as one player is better than the other. That may exacerbate the issue but, in my mind, the real problem was the timing and apparent lack of transparency and honesty. By all accounts, Frost and our staff have been very honest and open with these players and I get the impression they understand it just won't work out for some guys and that they support them when they decide to leave. So yeah, it kind of ticked me off when his last minute decision took them by surprise. It makes me think he wasn't operating with full faith like they were.

I mean a big part of the story that we've all seen alluded to is that his family probably got in late and influenced his choice. The reason Frost seemed so taken by surprise was that he handled the news well and didn't show any signs of taking his ball and going home. Then suddenly out of nowhere decided to leave. So that's another extenuating factor that IMO makes it harder to hate the kid for a decision that was likely the result of a lot of familial pressure.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Is that unfair or unrealistic, though? It doesn't seem that way to me. For something to be a double standard, we need to apply virtually the exact same parameters, limitations, qualifications, etc., to two different people/groups. We can't do that with Gebbia and Bunch so the notion that a double standard is being applied is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

I mean, let's just call a spade a spade - Bunch is a walk-on and his leaving doesn't feel like a significant loss. The Gebbia situation was a lot different. It seems like we (at least, most) agree on this. I don't think that makes anyone a hypocrite or guilty of unfairly applying a double standard. I think it's an example of people acknowledging honest disparities.

I just hate the black and white, pigeon-holing narrative some people try to employ (I'm not accusing you of this Landlord, btw, just pointing it out overall). I'm disappointed Gebbia did what he did and the tough situation it put Nebraska in, but I simultaneously understand his decision. I believe both things can be true and I can hold both opinions. I don't feel I should be obligated to choose a side.

To be clear, I never referred to it as a double standard. But, personally, I do think it is unfair to Gebbia, yes. I think people would be totally within their reasonable rights to be more upset that a good/valuable player leaves than if a walk-on who doesn't play leaves. That part is no big deal. The part that gets messy and speaks to, not a double standard, but an inconsistency, is when one player (unfairly IMO) has their integrity and character attacked and the other doesn't. People are saying a big part of why Bunch isn't being criticized is because of the timing thing. I say bulls#!t. If Bunch stuck around until August and then transferred out, we still wouldn't care or hold it against him. 

All I want is consistency and honesty from people's rhetoric. If people can be honest about just being mad at a player because their decision hurts your favorite sports team, ok fair enough. But if that's the real reason you're angry, but you couch it in some excuse that you're only angry because the player is selfish and a quitter yadda yadda, that's some small-minded garbage imo.

Then again, I almost always default entirely to finding it inappropriate to make personal assessment's of the character of players. I don't think it's appropriate or fair 99% of the time. So I fully acknowledge that maybe I'm not seeing it entirely clearly, but I'd prefer to always play it safe on the side of not disparaging teenagers/young adults that I don't know. 

32 minutes ago, Landlord said:

People are saying a big part of why Bunch isn't being criticized is because of the timing thing. I say bulls#!t. If Bunch stuck around until August and then transferred out, we still wouldn't care or hold it against him.

I think that might be true and then that gets back to Bunch just not being that valuable of a player, which ties into my point about honest disparities. It appears we agree on that portion. I also agree about the attacks on Gebbia's person/character in relation to that decision. It's not like he was found guilty of a violent crime. Dude lost and wanted to go somewhere we he could better position himself to play.

All I want is consistency and honesty from people's rhetoric. If people can be honest about just being mad at a player because their decision hurts your favorite sports team, ok fair enough. But if that's the real reason you're angry, but you couch it in some excuse that you're only angry because the player is selfish and a quitter yadda yadda, that's some small-minded garbage imo.

I agree, so long as it's plausible to maintain more than one state of mind on the matter. I was disappointed that Gebbia did what he did as a Husker fan, but I'm understanding and accepting of why he did it on a personal level. I wholly believe someone can have both things be true and that we don't have to force ourselves into one or the other.

Overall, I also caution people (not you) about making bold, generic claims as to what the fan base thinks. One person said "75%" of the board got mad" about Gebbia transferring. That's a complete lie. A cursory glance of that thread shows quite a lot of people were fairly understanding about it and, literally speaking, 75% of the board didn't even participate in that thread.

I'm a coach in the Metro and I'm tired of the transfer s#!t.  It has made TEAM sports about individuals.  That is not the way the games were meant to be taught. 

FYI...Putting your personal goals before the goals of the group is, quite literally, the definition of selfish.

self·ish
/ˈselfiSH/
adjective
adjective: selfish
  1. (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.