Bunch transferring

SUHperman

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

self·ish

/ˈselfiSH/
adjective
adjective: selfish
  1. (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

This is what our football program/athletic department does. Nebraska Football is concerned chiefly with it's own profit and success.

• Plus1 1

You can talk about selfish, immature right wrong, etc.  But in matters such as these each party does what is best for themselves and this leaves the rest of us in the lurch.  Teammates and fans.  The teammates are probably better off without a guy who will bail in the face of adversity.  For example, if he took 5 sacks in a big game, would he still have that big arm, or would he instead start to blame his O-line and check out.  You need the guys who never bail.  

The fans:  we are adults and can deal.  No harm no foul.  

So was it right or wrong to bail?  If he is the type of guy who will bail, probably best that he is gone.

At the risk of derailing this riveting walk on discussion, I don’t understand the 5 star QB’s committing to the schools they choose in the first place when they see other underclass players of the same caliber as them already there.

It can’t be that they aren’t afraid of competition because 11 of 19 have shown that they can’t accept a decision if it’s not in their favor.

I personally have no issue with them leaving.  Just wonder why they choose their initial school in the first place

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

At the risk of derailing this riveting walk on discussion, I don’t understand the 5 star QB’s committing to the schools they choose in the first place when they see other underclass players of the same caliber as them already there.

It can’t be that they aren’t afraid of competition because 11 of 19 have shown that they can’t accept a decision if it’s not in their favor.

I personally have no issue with them leaving.  Just wonder why they choose their initial school in the first place

The same ego that makes a high school kid think he can waltz into a Georgia/Clemson/wherever locker room and win the job from uber talented kids who are already there, is the same ego that doesn't know how to cope with the notion of being second-best.

I have the same thought as you every time I see a recruiting article about some ballyhooed recruit joining an already stacked roster. Sometimes they will win the job, like at Clemson, but more often than not you know what is going to happen. I recall an article about UGA last year-ish getting some five star recruit to join their class that already had five star recruits at the same position, and we all know damn well that someone is gong to end up leaving. Maybe the article was about this same guy, I can't remember.

Look at Nebraska's QB situation. Martinez still has multiple years remaining, and we are sitting pretty with high-ranked verbal commits for the next two classes already. That is awesome, but assuming Martinez stays healthy, I think we already know that between McCaffrey and Smothers, there is a very low likelihood that both of them will serve out their time at NU. Someone is going to end up being the heir-apparent. The other will likely transfer. Then the next hotshot high school kid is going to commit, who will either become a starter or will eventually transfer, then the next...

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The same ego that makes a high school kid think he can waltz into a Georgia/Clemson/wherever locker room and win the job from uber talented kids who are already there, is the same ego that doesn't know how to cope with the notion of being second-best.

In essence, this is exactly what it boils down to. It's a loosely related mentality to that of recruits who choose Nebraska, a program that's only won eight games the last two seasons, instead of a more recently successful program. Recruits feel confident they can be the difference or 'the guy' that makes an impact.

Personally, I think it's the mentality you want a player to have. You want them to feel confident they can come in and beat the guys ahead of them. Generally speaking, it's better than the alternative.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

And Gebbia had a chance to beat Martinez?  Seriously?  So you're saying husker fans are mad at Gebbia because he transferred knowing he would never be the full time starter but everyone is okay with bunch transferring because he would never start....they are kind of similar 

Not similar at all. One QB leaves shortly before the start of the season, robbing a scholarship from a deserving walk-on. The other QB leaves before the start of the spring semester.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

I have the same thought as you every time I see a recruiting article about some ballyhooed recruit joining an already stacked roster. Sometimes they will win the job, like at Clemson, but more often than not you know what is going to happen. I recall an article about UGA last year-ish getting some five star recruit to join their class that already had five star recruits at the same position, and we all know damn well that someone is gong to end up leaving. Maybe the article was about this same guy, I can't remember.

Look at Nebraska's QB situation. Martinez still has multiple years remaining, and we are sitting pretty with high-ranked verbal commits for the next two classes already. That is awesome, but assuming Martinez stays healthy, I think we already know that between McCaffrey and Smothers, there is a very low likelihood that both of them will serve out their time at NU. Someone is going to end up being the heir-apparent. The other will likely transfer. Then the next hotshot high school kid is going to commit, who will either become a starter or will eventually transfer, then the next...

If they all stay at QB. One could change positions. Nebraska had a QB playing DB on a MNC team, and Bobby Newcombe switched to receiver.

10 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

If they all stay at QB. One could change positions. Nebraska had a QB playing DB on a MNC team, and Bobby Newcombe switched to receiver.

It's a different era.  All of these high profile QB recruits (or their parents rather) have spent thousands of $ getting their sons private QB training in order to get that college scholarship.  The easy move is for them to go be a QB at a different school, not switch positions.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's a different era.  All of these high profile QB recruits (or their parents rather) have spent thousands of $ getting their sons private QB training in order to get that college scholarship.  The easy move is for them to go be a QB at a different school, not switch positions.

Agreed.  Today, a 5 star QB is already being looked at for NFL abilities.  No way in hell they are going to switch to a different position in order to get on the field for their current team.

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't see Smothers changing positions.  McCaffrey is different though.  He's playing multiple positions in HS, of course with qb being his main one.  But if I'm the coaches i'm looking at him as more of an athlete.  You bring him in, give him his legit shot at qb and if it doesn't work,  he's probably a good candidate to switch positions.  We are all aware what a bunch of athletic freaks that family has.  Unless of course he's dead set on playing qb, which we don't know.

19 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I don't see Smothers changing positions.  McCaffrey is different though.  He's playing multiple positions in HS, of course with qb being his main one.  But if I'm the coaches i'm looking at him as more of an athlete.  You bring him in, give him his legit shot at qb and if it doesn't work,  he's probably a good candidate to switch positions.  We are all aware what a bunch of athletic freaks that family has.  Unless of course he's dead set on playing qb, which we don't know.

I think what will happen is he sees Martinez is going to be the starter for awhile so he redshirts. Then when Martinez is a junior and he’s a redshirt freshman he might decide instead of being the backup QB for 1-2 years he wants to get on the field wherever he can with the idea he’ll compete for the starting job at QB when Martinez leaves. (Not saying this is what will happen, just imagining what he might plan on).

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think what will happen is he sees Martinez is going to be the starter for awhile so he redshirts. Then when Martinez is a junior and he’s a redshirt freshman he might decide instead of being the backup QB for 1-2 years he wants to get on the field wherever he can with the idea he’ll compete for the starting job at QB when Martinez leaves. (Not saying this is what will happen, just imagining what he might plan on).

If McCaffrey redshirts, I would like to see him get plenty of playing time in four early games, so we have a capable backup if AM gets hurt.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I could see that.  I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts.  But I think the coaches will push to get him on the field wherever they can if it's not looking likely for him to play qb bc he's too athletically gifted to ride pine.

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

If McCaffrey redshirts, I would like to see him get plenty of playing time in four early games, so we have a capable backup if AM gets hurt.

I’m guessing they’ll split between him and Vedral unless McCaffrey picks up the offense really quickly. I think we’ll have more games next season when the backup QB can play so that will help.