SUHperman

Bunch transferring

16 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Because 75% of the board got mad that Gebbia transferred yet no one is getting mad about bunch.  What's wrong with pointing out a double standard?

Because there isn't a double standard. The differences between these two situations are fairly perceptible. Bunch has no chance to start (outside of injuries) and he's weighing his options in December. Gebbia lost a QB battle and transferred a week before the season started.

I don't begrudge Gebbia his decision, however, there's no question he put the team in a considerably tight spot. Bunch's departure at this point wouldn't carry the same weight.

• Plus1 5
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Because there isn't a double standard. The differences between these two situations are fairly perceptible. Bunch has no chance to start (outside of injuries) and he's weighing his options in December. Gebbia lost a QB battle and transferred a week before the season started.

I don't begrudge Gebbia his decision, however, there's no question he put the team in a considerably tight spot. Bunch's departure at this point wouldn't carry the same weight.

And Gebbia had a chance to beat Martinez?  Seriously?  So you're saying husker fans are mad at Gebbia because he transferred knowing he would never be the full time starter but everyone is okay with bunch transferring because he would never start....they are kind of similar 

• Plus1 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 3

31 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

And Gebbia had a chance to beat Martinez?  Seriously?  So you're saying husker fans are mad at Gebbia because he transferred knowing he would never be the full time starter but everyone is okay with bunch transferring because he would never start....they are kind of similar 

Are you just trying to stir the pot or do you really believe that the situations have similarities?

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Are you just trying to stir the pot or do you really believe that the situations have similarities?

I think he's actually that stupid

• Plus1 2

I hope anyone that doesn't want to be at Nebraska leaves as soon as possible.

If anyone noticed, the more people leave the better the team gets.

• Plus1 1

On 12/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

Because 75% of the board got mad that Gebbia transferred yet no one is getting mad about bunch.  What's wrong with pointing out a double standard?

Most of its already been covered but there’s  also a talent differential.  No offense to bunch but it hurts a lot more losing a player of Gebbias caliber.  

5 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Gebbia made a decision about his future that some Husker fans see as selfish.  There's a good argument there.  Others see these fans' point of view as being selfish and there is an arguement there too.  

I understood Gebbia's decision.  The only thing that irked me was the timing of the decision, and the ability to go to Oregon State because of their quarter system so he could use 2018 as his sit-out season.

Great kid, his level of play was not appropriate for NU.  He will have a bright future somewhere.

Gebbia was an example of what was wrong with Nebraska.  He is not missed here, and frankly not worth mention.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Gebbia made a decision about his future that some Husker fans see as selfish.  There's a good argument there.  Others see these fans' point of view as being selfish and there is an arguement there too.  

Yeah I don't understand why fans have a problem with it being selfish.

Gebbia made a decision for maximum playing time at another university.  He's a #1 QB type of talent...he just didn't fit the system here as well as AM.  Fans being silly and lame made a narrative that he was being selfish and wasn't a team player.

That's absolute BS.  

He could be a team player and one of the best teammates known to man and still transfer.  Thinking that in order to be a team player you have to sit on the bench for 3 years when you could be starting elsewhere is stupidity.  

Regardless of who you think Gebbia is...he is one of the greatest QB to come out of California in all of history.  Only 8 total QBs have ever passed 10,000 yards and 100 TD's...ever.  He was also a top 100 talent.  Think about how much football talent comes out of Cali.  That's absurd to think he should just ride the pine.

Thinking he should take his talent and sit, shut up, and color is purely short sighted and wrong.  Fans assume to have that audacity though and it's crazy to me that you'd trash the work ethic, mentality, and talent of a 18-19 year old just because you need it to fit a narrative so you can be salty about it.  Makes me ill to think about.

Anyway, rant over.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yeah I don't understand why fans have a problem with it being selfish.

Gebbia made a decision for maximum playing time at another university.  He's a #1 QB type of talent...he just didn't fit the system here as well as AM.  Fans being silly and lame made a narrative that he was being selfish and wasn't a team player.

That's absolute BS.  

He could be a team player and one of the best teammates known to man and still transfer.  Thinking that in order to be a team player you have to sit on the bench for 3 years when you could be starting elsewhere is stupidity.  

Regardless of who you think Gebbia is...he is one of the greatest QB to come out of California in all of history.  Only 8 total QBs have ever passed 10,000 yards and 100 TD's...ever.  He was also a top 100 talent.  Think about how much football talent comes out of Cali.  That's absurd to think he should just ride the pine.

Thinking he should take his talent and sit, shut up, and color is purely short sighted and wrong.  Fans assume to have that audacity though and it's crazy to me that you'd trash the work ethic, mentality, and talent of a 18-19 year old just because you need it to fit a narrative so you can be salty about it.  Makes me ill to think about.

Anyway, rant over.

To the bolded -- transferring during game week and bailing on your team, which should always come first, is incredibly selfish.

We>Me

• Plus1 3

38 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

To the bolded -- transferring during game week and bailing on your team, which should always come first, is incredibly selfish.

We>Me

Should he have waited another week or game so he couldn't transfer and lose a year of eligibility?  Totally selfish man...what was he thinking preserving his playing time.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Should he have waited another week or game so he couldn't transfer and lose a year of eligibility?  Totally selfish man...what was he thinking preserving his playing time.

Not about his team lol 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:
4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not about his team lol 

And that's NOT a bad thing.  You guys act like a kid who's only commodity for football is his playing time...should be sold out as a non team player because he preserves it.  To me, that's being bitter and salty.  I don't fault him one bit and will watch him and wish him well at Oregon state.

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

And that's NOT a bad thing.  You guys act like a kid who's only commodity for football is his playing time...should be sold out as a non team player because he preserves it.  To me, that's being bitter and salty.  I don't fault him one bit and will watch him and wish him well at Oregon state.

Hey that is the only thing I said and I said it to be snarky. 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

Unless you subscribe to conspiracy theories, all legitimate accounts of last year's QB battle between Gebbia and Martinez suggested the two were highly competitive and the decision came down to the wire. Bunch was eliminated much earlier in the process. So, yes, seriously.

And now you're moving the goal posts. There's a difference between a 'double standard' and 'kind of similar.' The former suggests an identical situation with one level of variance. The latter could mean anything depending on your interpretation. The two situations share only one similarity - a QB looking to transfer. Otherwise, there are significant differences making them unalike, so stop trying to stoke a fire where there is none.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

Bunch transferring isn't a big deal because he is a walk on that should have never seen the field outside of mop up duty let alone start a game.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This one's weird because he had to know he was going to be a career backup when he transferred here.  Everyone knew.

Yeah, I can't agree more!

I get the old "Give it your best shot" and "If I give it my all I can win the spot" but come on...that is so few and far between and I am sure even if he was totally confident in his ability that he had to know.

I remember wrestling in high school...Thursdays were our wrestle off days for the weekend tournament.  By about the 3rd week of the season you sort of knew who you could beat and who was going to rip your throat out, show it to you, then go take your girlfriend out that night.

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This one's weird because he had to know he was going to be a career backup when he transferred here.  Everyone knew.

True, but maybe the taste of playing time was enough to rethink that plan. He played well enough against Troy, and even the experience practicing against a D1 defense will have him well prepared to play down a level.

Enjoyed reading this thread.  Amidst all the viewpoints expressed is the truth that Martinez barely beat out Gebbia and would be the starter.  The spot would be earned/merited based off of performance.  Martinez got injured and Gebbia would have stepped in to be the starter.  Who knows what he would have done with that opportunity.  I believed in him and think he would have kept that spot for two games.  We will never know, Gebbia could have impressed and Frost kept him there.  We went 0-6.  Perhaps Gebbia steps in, we go 4-2 instead of 0-6.

What we do know is that Gebbia never mentioned or threatened to leave if he got beat out honestly.  He was a competitor and team player.  It sounded like in his own mind his perception was he was not going to ever be the starter.  From what I know of Frost, that is not true.

So, if he would have stayed, who knows, perhaps Martinez would move on as Gebbia took advantage of the opportunity and was good enough to never let go.

Enjoyed the banter regardless.

Now back to Bunch ... all the best to him ... and Gebbia.

51 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Bunch transferring isn't a big deal because he is a walk on that should have never seen the field outside of mop up duty let alone start a game.

But, thank god he was here after our scholarship player transferred. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed reading this thread.  Amidst all the viewpoints expressed is the truth that Martinez barely beat out Gebbia and would be the starter.  The spot would be earned/merited based off of performance.  Martinez got injured and Gebbia would have stepped in to be the starter.  Who knows what he would have done with that opportunity.  I believed in him and think he would have kept that spot for two games.  We will never know, Gebbia could have impressed and Frost kept him there.  We went 0-6.  Perhaps Gebbia steps in, we go 4-2 instead of 0-6.

What we do know is that Gebbia never mentioned or threatened to leave if he got beat out honestly.  He was a competitor and team player.  It sounded like in his own mind his perception was he was not going to ever be the starter.  From what I know of Frost, that is not true.

So, if he would have stayed, who knows, perhaps Martinez would move on as Gebbia took advantage of the opportunity and was good enough to never let go.

Enjoyed the banter regardless.

Now back to Bunch ... all the best to him ... and Gebbia.

If you really think that it was a super close race...well I have some news for you.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, thank god he was here after our scholarship player transferred. 

We had another walk on QB on the team.  The result of the game he started would have likely been the same.

• Plus1 1

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

We had another walk on QB on the team.  The result of the game he started would have likely been the same.

Reading this thread, I’ve learned that being a scholarship QB and transferring less than 7 days before the first game is what you should do if you don’t win the starting job. Also, as a walk on, you should never see the field unless it’s mop up duty. 

These two thought processes together don’t  work in the real world. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Reading this thread, I’ve learned that being a scholarship QB and transferring less than 7 days before the first game is what you should do if you don’t win the starting job. Also, as a walk on, you should never see the field unless it’s mop up duty. 

These two thought processes together don’t  work in the real world. 

I would bet every P5 coach would agree with me that walk on QB's aren't intended to be starters or even play much.  They are there to run scout team.  Baker Mayfield is an extreme exception to the rule.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would bet every P5 coach would agree with me that walk on QB's aren't intended to be starters or even play much.  They are there to run scout team.  Baker Mayfield is an extreme exception to the rule.

Just saying, the two thoughts are not compatible. 

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Baker Mayfield also had decent scholarship offers by non-Power 5 schools and played for a high school power during his high school days in Texas, so it wasn't like he was the plucky walk-on who made it big.

I do agree with you in that walk-ons should be used for scout team and provide depth, with the occasional starter coming out of the pack in certain situations.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just saying, the two thoughts are not compatible. 

I haven't read anywhere that someone has stated Gebbia SHOULD have left because he lost the starting job.  I've read where people have said they understand why he did it and don't blame him for it.  Those are 2 totally different things

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Baker Mayfield also had decent scholarship offers by non-Power 5 schools and played for a high school power during his high school days in Texas, so it wasn't like he was the plucky walk-on who made it big.

I do agree with you in that walk-ons should be used for scout team and provide depth, with the occasional starter coming out of the pack in certain situations.

I'm with you.

I can see a LB, lineman, maybe a receiver coming from walk on to starter and doing really well.  Just not QB.  In the modern history of our storied walk on program, it hasn't happened and people probably shouldn't want it to happen.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

We

-----

Me

FIFY

QB1 competes for starting job, loses, decides to transfer at the last possible second, the week before Game 1, so that he is able to in order to preserve an entire year of eligibility with hope of being the starting quarterback elsewhere.

QB2 is a walk on, doesn't really seriously compete, doesn't really have any realistic chance of meaningful playing time, decides to transfer with hope of being the starting quarterback elsewhere. He's still bailing on his team. He's still making decisions for himself over team, just like QB1 is. We just don't care because he's not a loss.

The biggest difference between the two (not the only) is that one hurt OUR team. Which is the thing that made him bad to a lot of people I suppose. Maybe there's some great power/great responsibility thing in there somewhere, but the 'double standard' seems to be that if you're a pretty good player and you leave you'll get your integrity questioned by many, but if you're not that good everyone will wish you well as you ride off.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:26 AM, Moiraine said:

He’s mocking the people who got mad at Gebbia.

Obviously. The curious part is, I wonder if he realizes the differences and circumstances under which each of them decided to leave. Not the same situations imo.

Edit- Oops....he answered my question. Apparently he doesn't understand how these are different situations. Or maybe he just doesn't want to let go of the narrative he's pushing.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Apparently he doesn't understand how these are different situations. 

I laid out the two different scenarios as being different, and then said what I thought the biggest difference was, and even acknowledged that it wasn't the only difference. What is it that I apparently don't understand? 

40 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I haven't read anywhere that someone has stated Gebbia SHOULD have left because he lost the starting job.  I've read where people have said they understand why he did it and don't blame him for it.  Those are 2 totally different things

Gebbia should have left because he lost the starting job. I understand why he did it, and don't blame him for it. 

This has been going on forever, but it does seem that more quarterbacks are getting more professional career guidance, meaning that every high school superstar with NFL aspirations will be told not to tolerate a supporting role, looking at college football as essentially 4 years of free agency. Many of the QBs simply aren't that great, and could benefit from the adversity and challenge of practicing harder, and stepping in when the starting QB gets injured or leaves early, which happens frequently and often turns the replacement QB into a bigger story than he'd be as the 4 - 8 starter at New Mexico State. The "start me or I quit" attitude reinforces the notion (largely true) that the QB is a rare animal and is not subject to the team-building concept you see at other positions, each one with a depth chart.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Gebbia should have left because he lost the starting job. I understand why he did it, and don't blame him for it. 

Yup.  Kid might have a shot at playing on Sundays.  Not gonna happen riding the pine.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

Yup.  Kid might have a shot at playing on Sundays.  Not gonna happen riding the pine.

So.....if this is true, it’s not comparable with the belief that a walk-in should never start a game or play meaningful minutes. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So.....if this is true, it’s not comparable with the belief that a walk-in should never start a game or play meaningful minutes. 

If a walk-on has proven himself to be better than a scholarship athlete in practice, then he should get every opportunity to play meaningful minutes and starts. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

If a walk-on has proven himself to be better than a scholarship athlete in practice, then he should get every opportunity to play meaningful minutes and starts. 

I agree.  One situation is not comparable to other.  If you're Gebbia and put up ridiculous numbers in high school of course you should go somewhere where you have an opportunity to play.  If you're Bunch and you put up decent numbers in high school but everyone but you knows you're probably still going to be a backup somewhere else, besides a small school, transferring probably doesn't make as much sense.  Gebbia knows he's starter material.   I'm not sure Bunch knows he isn't.

46 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I guess I looked at it a little differently.  I didn't think he lost the job yet.  He lost the opportunity to start the first game.  Frost had to choose between 2 unknowns.  It wasn't like Gebbia was in the same situation as Jalen Hurts or the guy from Clemson where a proven player was supplanted.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I guess I looked at it a little differently.  I didn't think he lost the job yet.  He lost the opportunity to start the first game.  Frost had to choose between 2 unknowns.  It wasn't like Gebbia was in the same situation as Jalen Hurts or the guy from Clemson where a proven player was supplanted.

I think Gebbia could see the writing on the wall.  Especially now that we've seen how the season played out.  There was no way Gebbia was overtaking Martinez, barring injury.

7 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I think Gebbia could see the writing on the wall.  Especially now that we've seen how the season played out.  There was no way Gebbia was overtaking Martinez, barring injury.

Which happened in the very first game

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Which happened in the very first game

I'm aware.  There's obviously no way to know for sure but I still think it would have only been temporary.  And it's not like Gebbia could stick around and bank on that happening.