Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

So who are the new players that you think will impress? (question is open to anyone).  

I'm looking forward to seeing how Honas comes back from his injury - hopefully he will be able to practice.  I think the LB crew will be greatly improved next year. 

RB will be interesting to watch with Washington and our new 4 star recruit leading the way - don't know if Wandale  Robinson will be used more at slot or RB??. 

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So who are the new players that you think will impress? (question is open to anyone).  

I'm looking forward to seeing how Honas comes back from his injury - hopefully he will be able to practice.  I think the LB crew will be greatly improved next year. 

RB will be interesting to watch with Washington and our new 4 star recruit leading the way - don't know if Wandale  Robinson will be used more at slot or RB??. 

Highly unlikely Honas participates in spring practice, might do some individual drills but doubt he will be practicing.

As far as players that will impress, I think Andre Hunt could have a good spring, hopefully McQuitty will too. 

20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Well, from Mavric's post in the recruiting thread, these are the guys that will enroll early as Freshmen.

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Bland, Fair, Henrich, Nelson

From this group, I'm really interested in hearing about all these guys, but more specifically, how Mills, Robinson and Henrich do.

I'm really hoping that McQuitty breaks out and does something.  Every year I have thought he would contribute, and he just never sees the field. That said, mainly all the WRs other than JD.  Who is going to step up to take Morgan's place.  I'm confident that someone will, just have no clue who.

I really am interested in seeing what Jurgen's looks like and how he plays at Center.  Has he put on enough good weight to play the position yet?

Defensive front 7.  Who steps up to be the pass rusher we need.  It would be awesome if we could get two.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Defensive front 7.  Who steps up to be the pass rusher we need.  It would be awesome if we could get two.

If we can get 2 rushers - with the improvement I think we'll have at LB, we will finally have a D that is comparable to the O.  Our D was playing better at the end of the year but we need to have some game changer guys. They don't have to be SUH like but I'll take a L David or 2 or a RUUD like guy:D

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If we can get 2 rushers - with the improvement I think we'll have at LB, we will finally have a D that is comparable to the O.  Our D was playing better at the end of the year but we need to have some game changer guys. They don't have to be SUH like but I'll take a L David or 2 or a RUUD like guy:D

All I'm asking for is two Wistrom like players on the edge and a J Peter type player. 

I'm not asking for much.

Can you imagine how much better our DBs would look if the opposing QB was constantly under pressure?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

All I'm asking for is two Wistrom like players on the edge and a J Peter type player. 

I'm not asking for much.

Can you imagine how much better our DBs would look if the opposing QB was constantly under pressure?

Not much :throwdabones1:

Much better DB players if we had upfront pressure.  You could have the Bullock brothers, M Brown, Prince, Dennard all back there but if no pressure up front, it is impossible to stay wt a receiver all day long.

I know we'll have some speed at OLB - Bo's D was best when he had a blitzing LB.  When his teams got slower and slower at LB, the D started to go down hill - we couldn't stop the slant pass plays over the middle, the end around (there goes Marvin Gorman again).  It seems the last good D we had was when Crick was a Senior and took over after SUH graduated.  We've had a few flashes with David Gregory but no consistency. 

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, from Mavric's post in the recruiting thread, these are the guys that will enroll early as Freshmen.

From this group, I'm really interested in hearing about all these guys, but more specifically, how Mills, Robinson and Henrich do.

I'm really hoping that McQuitty breaks out and does something.  Every year I have thought he would contribute, and he just never sees the field. That said, mainly all the WRs other than JD.  Who is going to step up to take Morgan's place.  I'm confident that someone will, just have no clue who.

I really am interested in seeing what Jurgen's looks like and how he plays at Center.  Has he put on enough good weight to play the position yet?

I'm with you on McQuitty.  Milk Carton guy!

And, i hate to do this, but, why have no other receivers really emerged under Walters?  The only real production came from guys that were already damned good at what they do prior to this staff's arrival.  Everyone wants to complain about Chinander, while I think Walters is quietly getting a pass.  WHERE ARE OUR RECEIVERS, MAN!??  I thought we had insanely lethal threats.  WHERE ARE THEY and WHY AREN'T THEY PROGRESSING ENOUGH TO SEE GAME TIME?  Is it blocking they don't have down yet?

23 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm with you on McQuitty.  Milk Carton guy!

And, i hate to do this, but, why have no other receivers really emerged under Walters?  The only real production came from guys that were already damned good at what they do prior to this staff's arrival.  Everyone wants to complain about Chinander, while I think Walters is quietly getting a pass.  WHERE ARE OUR RECEIVERS, MAN!??  I thought we had insanely lethal threats.  WHERE ARE THEY and WHY AREN'T THEY PROGRESSING ENOUGH TO SEE GAME TIME?  Is it blocking they don't have down yet?

Some of the staff's true developmental abilities are still unknown, but Walters had the luxury of inheriting the two best receivers in school history. You are basically asking why a #3 receiver has not been developed, with less than a year to work with. Now in the coming year we will certainly need to see a new solid #2 and more reliable depth, but let's give it time.