Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Especially against most of the defenses in the division, whom are LB heavy. Generally they don’t have the depth in the secondary to afford to remove what’s often their best players. 

Washington had his two best receiving days against Iowa and Wisconsin.  Expect a lot more of that.

We can even go 21 personnel and get the very same outcome- with Washington/ Robinson or Washington/Jones or even Jones/Robinson lined up in the backfield to start  or with someone like Legrone shift from 21 to 5 wide with a running QB that puts another level of pressure on your D-you better not drop a bunch of guys into coverage- or the QBs going to beat you with his legs

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

I hope Mazour gets his touches this year. Has nothing to do with him being a local kid, I truly feel he has the tools to make a decent impact for us. Smart kid that will pick up good yardage when needed, can also catch the ball. 

He can get them garbage time. If he’s getting meaningful touches, that probably means something bad has happened because we simply have too many other very talented players that could have gotten those reps.

But I really like him. Just look at the end of the Michigan game, he’s busting a$$ in a hopeless scenario. A guy like that will always fight for yards and he has a very deceptive burst to him.

• Plus1 2

This is a 3 level Oklahoma drill most College, High School and even youth teams have been running for years

Ok good aggressiveness, technique and pad level on the block destruct, but the tackling continues to SUCK with this player, zero wrap on his tackles which was a major issue last year too

Cut back is so easy when tacklers lead head in front and choose to bump instead of shoulder and wrap- God gave you arms for a reason- no need to play like a double amputee when it comes time to tackle

aiming point is near hip

I HATE how this kid "tackles"

Worst thing that can happen to an impressionable football player-

Get a lucky positive result with horrible technique

But have a positive result and people pat you on the back so you continue same nonsense, thinking it will work since it did against weak scout team player or Sisters of the Poor NW State U

For the love of all things that are holy

PLEASE do not "tackle" like this this season or we will continue to give up 31 ppg

Edited by Enhance
There's no need to be confrontational with other board members.
  • Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I never check out the male body more than I do when I look at Spring Practice picture galleries after Winter workouts.:lol:

- Jamie Nance looks (really) slight.

-McCaffery (at least in these pictures) doesn't look as small as I thought he would. Already looks a little bigger than Gebbia every did (which isn't saying much).

-Casey Rogers looks massive.

-Tate Wilderman still looks a little small (Wasn't he hurt last year?)

-Legrone has put on some size, looks good.

-Chris Hickman is way too skinny, but man, that's a helluva frame to put some weight on.

-Jameis looks different, in a good way.

-Andre Hunt has bulked up.

-Darrion Daniels looks like a giant human being.... So does his brother, Damion.

-Garrett Nelson's body looks like that of a 5 year NFL veteran.

• Plus1 4
34 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I never check out the male body more than I do when I look at Spring Practice picture galleries after Winter workouts.:lol:

-McCaffery (at least in these pictures) doesn't look as small as I thought he would. Already looks a little bigger than Gebbia every did (which isn't saying much).

McCaffery looks like Arnold compared to Gebbia- who almost always wore long sleeves to hide his tiny arms. McCaffery is an athlete who lifts- he will be a legit 200 next year- not the 165lbs  means 195 under Riley

15 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

McCaffery looks like Arnold compared to Gebbia- who almost always wore long sleeves to hide his tiny arms. McCaffery is an athlete who lifts- he will be a legit 200 next year- not the 165lbs  means 195 under Riley

Yeah, he doesn't look any bigger than 180 right now to me.

11 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Kids legitimately having fun without hip hip horray- no body needs to work hard- let me be your buddy and feed you ice cream every day nonsense

What Frost does with, and has, with his team isn't an easy balance to strike.

1 hour ago, OTHusker said:

This is a 3 level Oklahoma drill most College, High School and even youth teams have been running for years

Ok good aggressiveness, technique and pad level on the block destruct, but the tackling continues to SUCK with this player, zero wrap on his tackles which was a major issue last year too

Cut back is so easy when tacklers lead head in front and choose to bump instead of shoulder and wrap- God gave you arms for a reason- no need to play like a double amputee when it comes time to tackle

aiming point is near hip

But have a positive result and people pat you on the back so you continue same nonsense, thinking it will work since it did against weak scout team player or Sisters of the Poor NW State U

PLEASE do not "tackle" like this this season or we will continue to give up 31 ppg

If you think Im wrong- have the  balls to factually  state why

For once, we might actually agree on something.  But, it’s also nothing new.  It definitively gets frustrating.  But, there’s some contact at least, so, baby steps are good.

3 hours ago, OTHusker said:

aiming point is near hip

If you think Im wrong- have the  balls to factually  state why

The sad part is how excited #21 gets and he didnt even knock him to the ground

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I knew when I saw that video the tackling experts would be in full force. Can anyone tell if you are supposed to wrap up when you tackle or not? Ive never really got into the technical detail of it. 

Ok

how exactly was that “tacklers” attempt at tackling enhanced by not using his arms and hands ? What advantage did it give the “tackler” 

not a big fan of letting backs pinball all over the field because our defenders are trying to block or butt the player into stumbling and falling rather than actually attempting a to the ground tackle 

this defender is a notriously poor tackler at least he’s consistent

he better be Dion sanders in coverage 

nothing new

our defense has been very consistent at it and of course reaping the rewards of very poor tackling 

to think this player - his teammates and fans think this is good is the most disturbing part 

• Plus1 1