I teach shoulder tackling patterned after what Pete carrol teaches 

not far  off from from how I was taught how to tackle over 40 years ago

with a few nuances and fresh teaching approaches 

Know who else used that tackling training? :P

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Ok

how exactly was that “tacklers” attempt at tackling enhanced by not using his arms and hands ? What advantage did it give the “tackler” 

not a big fan of letting backs pinball all over the field because our defenders are trying to block or butt the player into stumbling and falling rather than actually attempting a to the ground tackle 

this defender is a notriously poor tackler at least he’s consistent

he better be Dion sanders in coverage 

nothing new

our defense has been very consistent at it and of course reaping the rewards of very poor tackling 

to think this player - his teammates and fans think this is good is the most disturbing part 

Relax, he knocked the runner out of bounds which counts the same as a take down tackle. The celebration is for 1) winning the rep, which they did, and 2) knocking the blocker into next week. Obviously you'd rather he wrap up and form tackle, but at least he's being physical. 

Yeah his tackling needs to improve, but it already has over the course of the last year. Jackson bought in and turned his career around, and there's still a section of the fanbase that would rather he fail because they have him pegged a certain way. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

B

8 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Relax, he knocked the runner out of bounds which counts the same as a take down tackle. The celebration is for 1) winning the rep, which they did, and 2) knocking the blocker into next week. Obviously you'd rather he wrap up and form tackle, but at least he's being physical. 

Yeah his tackling needs to improve, but it already has over the course of the last year. Jackson bought in and turned his career around, and there's still a section of the fanbase that would rather he fail because they have him pegged a certain way. 

We all want the kid to succeed - which in turn helps us win games- which I thought is what most of us want.

However in spite of this players great athleticism he continues to consistently -tackle poorly, he consistently does this in games and in this drill

the rb could have easily cut back and made him miss thanks to the defenders aiming point, pad placement, head placement and choice not to use his arms and hands

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Know who else used that tackling training? :P

Watch the video

If you think Rileys coaching staff taught that- where were those tackles on the field?

Night and day PCs teams and Rileys teams

You didnt consistently see those nice tackles on the field- Rileys team and our current team does not tackle very well at all

This wouldnt be the first thing Rileys coaching staff coached poorly

Historically they werent good teachers- so what is so surprising they couldnt teach Pete Carrols tackling approach ? It would be consistent that they didnt teach that well either. 

While Im sure they had access to lots of great ball protection techniques and drills- they didnt execute those very well either- many other examples

Add in a very lazy and ineffective weight program, practices that werent physical

("those Iowa practices must be bloodbaths") , slow non inclusive practices and of course youre going to have a team that tackles poorly. It doesnt matter if you claim to use a particular approach- if it isnt taught properly (coaches putting their own twist on things) and isnt repped enough.

Add in the fact most of the kids didnt have the backup skills taught properly (tackling angles, run fits, block destruction, speed and strength training), they arent going to be successful. Not sure Ive seen a team like Rileys that were worse at tackling angles and of course they lacked physicality and aggression- but hey that's not the coaches fault right- then whos fault is it- the custodian, the basketball coach, the weather- the parents?

Once Frost starts consistently winning big here- we can finally call out the absolute laziness and ineptness of the ridiculous smilin mike experiment

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, OTHusker said:

B

We all want the kid to succeed - which in turn helps us win games- which I thought is what most of us want.

However in spite of this players great athleticism he continues to consistently -tackle poorly, he consistently does this and games and in this drill

the rb could have easily cut back and made him miss thanks to the defenders aiming point, pad placement, head placement and choice not to use his arms and hands

It's an indoor drill.   We have no idea what the coaches are telling the players. I agree that you need to relax. 

Edited by SouthLincoln Husker
  • Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It's an indoor drill.   We have no idea what the coaches are telling the players. I agree that got need to relax. 

Are you serious?

What difference does this make if it is an outdoor or indoor drill?

3 Level Oklahoma is a block destruction and tackling drill teams use both indoors and outdoors- meant to teach - block destruction and tackling with a very small pursuit function

Im very confident our coaches arent telling the kids to tackle high, dont use your arms or hands

Blocks to get kids out of bounds is unsound on many levels- you CAN knock players out of bounds, tackle low and wrap up- this isnt a mutually exclusive thing. I hate seeing poor fundamental tackling- especially when our team does it so poorly and is celebrated.

Thats just me- when Armstrong was throwing all of those closed eye YOLO bombs into double coverage- even if they were TDs- I wouldnt clap- because in the long term- those YOLO prayers were going to lose us a bunch of games. Dont encourage bad behaivior even if it by some miracle yields an odd positive result

He knocked over a freshman walk-on who weighs 160 lbs...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, OTHusker said:

Dont encourage bad behaivior even if it by some miracle yields an odd positive result

Nobody here wants to encourage bad behavior, but writing a truculent dissertation off of some snippets of practice video isn't the correct approach either. This is exactly why media availability is so limited these days, and for the better, in my opinion. We can't even be trusted to rationally approach what little access we are given.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Nobody here wants to encourage bad behavior, but writing a truculent dissertation off of some snippets of practice video isn't the correct approach either. This is exactly why media availability is so limited these days, and for the better, in my opinion. We can't even be trusted to rationally approach what little access we are given.

Although to be fair, if we had more access we could jump to conclusions with better information! You're right though, and I really have no problem with the availability.

Regardless of what Honas weighs, I know he's a walk on so you'd hope Jackson has a huge physical advantage. But you can only beat who they put in front of you, and let's not pretend he's going up against me here.

OT I see where you're coming from on the YOLO bombs/bad tackling form, I just don't look at it that way. If we score or make a big tackle, I'm cheering regardless of the way it happened. I'll let the coaches handle discouraging the bad form or bad decisions, I'm cheering for results and I'll let coaches make sure the results are coming from the right processes.

• Plus1 1

Not fair to judge Jackson based on this cell phone video taken from way back. His history is what it is we all know that, but you can't look at this one video and totally condemn him. Maybe this was his first poor tackle of the drill. The running back bounced way outside maybe Jackson was letting up so he didn't smash him into teammates that are right there. He also is clearly coming from behind the running back and fighting to get his head in front instead of horse collaring the guy. To bash him off this one video with zero context is unfair and the reason we don't get more media availability. The point of this is Jackson went head to head with his blocker and beat him who cares if that is a redshirt middle schooler he did what he was supposed to. Commend the guy for practicing hard and work with him on his technique. Saying his tackling continues to SUCK when you haven't seen anything besides this one video is bull. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1