Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Not fair to judge Jackson based on this cell phone video taken from way back. His history is what it is we all know that, but you can't look at this one video and totally condemn him. Maybe this was his first poor tackle of the drill. The running back bounced way outside maybe Jackson was letting up so he didn't smash him into teammates that are right there. He also is clearly coming from behind the running back and fighting to get his head in front instead of horse collaring the guy. To bash him off this one video with zero context is unfair and the reason we don't get more media availability. The point of this is Jackson went head to head with his blocker and beat him who cares if that is a redshirt middle schooler he did what he was supposed to. Commend the guy for practicing hard and work with him on his technique. Saying his tackling continues to SUCK when you haven't seen anything besides this one video is bull. 

This is more than one video

His tackling sucked last year for most of the season- same stuff as we see in this video

As to getting head in front- no that isnt how most teams teach tackling these days- and to horsecollar you you have to have your hands near the neck- which would be awful

Aiming point is near hip- with shoulder which would put you fairly low- away from grabbing with the hands to the neck area

Shoulder to hip, wrap, elevate, drive for 5

22 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

His tackling sucked last year for most of the season- same stuff as we see in this video

As to getting head in front- no that isnt how most teams teach tackling these days- and to horsecollar you you have to have your hands near the neck- which would be awful

Aiming point is near hip- with shoulder which would put you fairly low- away from grabbing with the hands to the neck area

So you must not have cheered when this happened:

• Plus1 2
Just now, Husker in WI said:

So you must not have cheered when this happened:

When he starts playing in the same galaxy as Ralph Brown- sure I'll be all over it

Until then his consistent poor tackling is something that hurts our defense and overshadows his great athleticism and reasonable coverage skills

So when players don’t play like one of the best players we’ve ever hadcplay here, they’re basically worthless? Gotcha

i watched the video, I think he’s freakin flying around 100% and I’ll take that effort all day. That’s what practice is for, to get better, and it looks like he is..;even if it’s not wall of fame worthy just yet. 

• Plus1 3

I coach form tackling...but I sure don't expect it in a game because I remember that the guy with the ball is trying too.  During a game I just want my guy to get their guy to the ground.

The only thing I really stress is...See what you hit and low man wins...I toss out some other cliches too but if you clean them up they are not really a sentence.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OTHusker said:

Shoulder to hip, wrap, elevate and drive for 5 is great in a controlled practice. Have you ever played football? That's not how it's happen 95% of the time. Should you teach that? Yes. Is it going to happen in a live scenario like this probably not. 

If you watch that video Jackson cuts back up field to make the tackle. He's not coming head on with the guy. There is no way that he can wrap and elevate when they are both moving upfield. I know you don't teach guys to tackle like this, but the point is he did the best he could in this single scenario to out a shoulder on the hip and drive the guy out if bounds. On the next play he could have hit the guy with a perfect form tackle you have no idea. So to use this single play and say he hasn't improved is nonsense. 

• Plus1 2

I personally think LJ has came along way under this staff.  He is not perfect, or a complete player yet, but he is bought in and only getting better.  Just the fact that he is a player that younger guys look up to is a huge start from where he was.  The hardest thing to do when teaching a corner to tackle is for him to want to tackle.  Now that he is wanting to tackle, the rest is just a matter of time.  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I personally think LJ has came along way under this staff.

I agree. If he can build off of the trajectory he had to end last season after getting benched, he could play himself back into serious NFL consideration.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I personally think LJ has came along way under this staff.  He is not perfect, or a complete player yet, but he is bought in and only getting better.  Just the fact that he is a player that younger guys look up to is a huge start from where he was.  The hardest thing to do when teaching a corner to tackle is for him to want to tackle.  Now that he is wanting to tackle, the rest is just a matter of time.  

One of the things we all love about sports is the redemption story. I think we would all agree that Lamar Jackson's first couple of years were disappointing, and we would also agree that defenders should generally tackle with a good wrap up, hitting low, etc. 

But I would lean away from crapping on this kid based on a three second video from spring practice. He improved last year, we are thin on CBs and frankly need LJ to perform better than ever this year, and Husker nation is optimistic. Last offseason, the returning player that everyone wanted to bury was Devine Ozigbo, and he worked his a$$ off and kicked the door down. I'm rooting for Jackson to do something similar this year. 

Yep, I hope he does start to tackle better than he did in the past. I hope that he can cover routes better than he did in the past. I hope he hustles his a$$ off and dominates his side of the field. I think this staff can get him there, and I hope LJ has the heart to finally show the talent that was so ballyhooed when he was recruited to Nebraska. I don't see any value in bashing college kids who are working hard, especially at this part of the year. They might just surprise us in the fall.

• Plus1 2