Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I coach form tackling...but I sure don't expect it in a game because I remember that the guy with the ball is trying too.  During a game I just want my guy to get their guy to the ground.

Which he didn’t do

nor did he last season

thats why he saw less playing time 

5 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Are you serious?

What difference does this make if it is an outdoor or indoor drill?

3 Level Oklahoma is a block destruction and tackling drill teams use both indoors and outdoors- meant to teach - block destruction and tackling with a very small pursuit function

Im very confident our coaches arent telling the kids to tackle high, dont use your arms or hands

Blocks to get kids out of bounds is unsound on many levels- you CAN knock players out of bounds, tackle low and wrap up- this isnt a mutually exclusive thing. I hate seeing poor fundamental tackling- especially when our team does it so poorly and is celebrated.

Thats just me- when Armstrong was throwing all of those closed eye YOLO bombs into double coverage- even if they were TDs- I wouldnt clap- because in the long term- those YOLO prayers were going to lose us a bunch of games. Dont encourage bad behaivior even if it by some miracle yields an odd positive result

Dude, relax

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CalhounHusker said:

Long time lurker, noticed over the last week or so you have about 1 positive and 20-30 negatives to say. He does a great job shedding the block and forcing the ball carrier out of bounds. Also, there was no cut back, because if he would've cut, he would've been out of bounds. Thirdly, if you ever have done any real coaching or taken any coaching classes, you always reinforce negatives with a positive. You have no idea what happened after the play, and what was said by the coaches. Overall, it was a great play.  

I’m not coaching him up

im commenting on an internet board 

and I’m negative on the way he tackled last year 

does anyone really think this kid is even in the 35th percentile for tackling in this league ? 

Commented on the video i saw in this thread which looked like more of the same from last year 

which wasn’t good 

I’ve coached over 25 years and attended dozens of clinics

im not coaching him face to face 

Im commenting on a board 

to critique you the exact same way  you did me

if you knew anything about tackling or had coached or taken many tackling classes you would have known his tackling attempt was terrible 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

I’m not coaching him up

does anyone really think this kid is even in the 35th percentile for tackling in this league ? 

Commented on the video i saw in this thread which looked like more of the same from last year 

which wasn’t good 

mom commenting on a board 

Clinics are the worst...except for getting away from home and drinking.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, OTHusker said:

Which he didn’t do

nor did he last season

His tackling was only part of the benching, and once he was reinstated as a starter (after one game, if I remember correctly) he was always on the field. He saw less playing time in one game early in the year - either it's not as bad as you think, or we don't have anyone the coaches trust more. Probably some of both.

3 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

I’m not coaching him up

which wasn’t good 

mom commenting on a board 

As long as people aren't tweetng at players or going to games and being an idiot towards them, I don't see the big deal in criticising kids play on a football forum. Believe it or not, not every player on the team is good. We were 4-8 last year

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Which he didn’t do

nor did he last season

Literally no one is saying he was awesome last year or any pryor year. People are merely arguing with the absurd notion that you can judge how well he tackled in a 3 sec of video. It’s also pame to pick out the most negative thing you can find, but that seems to be common with your posts, as the poster above stated.

36 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I will judge LJ with his play this upcoming season. I saw many times him shying away last year and it was annoying to watch. I think all the fans are hoping he has improved, but want to see it on Saturdays. 

Hater

we all want to see him play better 

no harm in that 

our tackling is weak

otherwise we don’t give up 31 ppg

the facts are the facts

its got to improve for us to move forward

or we can bury our heads in the sand and pretend it’s not an issue or not have enough football knowledge to appreciate that it is a problem 

20 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

As long as people aren't tweetng at players or going to games and being an idiot towards them, I don't see the big deal in criticising kids play on a football forum. Believe it or not, not every player on the team is good. We were 4-8 last year

Tackling is about technique but also a lot about want to

while this player has freakishly good athletic skills 

his tackling has consistently been bad

he shied away from contact last year 

took terrible angles and whiffed a bunch

goes back to very shallow recruiting classes in that position group 

so he may be the cleanest dirty shirt we have to wear 

sure hoping he gets better or someone better steps up

just not s fan of non physical play or lack of discipline 

27 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This coaching staff had him for 1 year, you must believe in miracles!

If a player has already been playing football for 11-12 years

when it comes to tackling and the want to there

by year 12 if it isn’t there

it isn’t going to magically appear 

it isn’t about learning how to jam a receiver or pattern read or banjo 

it’s either in your dna by then or it’s not 

Tackling is a problem, no one disagrees there. Where some people disagree is the claim that the video is an example of that - it's not great form, but it did the job. We can agree to disagree there, but in any case it's one clip and we'll see if it's still a problem on Saturdays. For all we know Fisher chewed him out for it in film review, or maybe the guy was out of bounds already.

Somewhat to Big Ern's point I think criticism of play is fair on a board, but I'm curious what the rationale is behind using numbers or "this player" to do it. I know a lot of former players and media members do it as well, but why? We all know who we're talking about, I'm just genuinely curious about the difference between "Jackson has shied away from contact" and "this player has shied away from contact" and similar statements. I know a lot on twitter was directed at Young - what's better about saying "#5 took a bad angle" as opposed to "Young?"

Just now, OTHusker said:

If a player has already been playing football for 11-12 years

when it comes to tackling and the want to there

by year 12 if it isn’t there

it isn’t going to magically appear 

You already said that Riley's coaching staff was terrible. You have to break bad habits to install good ones.  The new staff even said that the first year was about basics.  I think you just like to argue.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Tackling is a problem, no one disagrees there. Where some people disagree is the claim that the video is an example of that - it's not great form, but it did the job. We can agree to disagree there, but in any case it's one clip and we'll see if it's still a problem on Saturdays. For all we know Fisher chewed him out for it in film review, or maybe the guy was out of bounds already.

Somewhat to Big Ern's point I think criticism of play is fair on a board, but I'm curious what the rationale is behind using numbers or "this player" to do it. I know a lot of former players and media members do it as well, but why? We all know who we're talking about, I'm just genuinely curious about the difference between "Jackson has shied away from contact" and "this player has shied away from contact" and similar statements. I know a lot on twitter was directed at Young - what's better about saying "#5 took a bad angle" as opposed to "Young?"

Angles are the hardest thing to coach on defense and it isn't even close.  

• Plus1 1