Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

50 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Tackling is a problem, no one disagrees there. Where some people disagree is the claim that the video is an example of that - it's not great form, but it did the job. We can agree to disagree there, but in any case it's one clip and we'll see if it's still a problem on Saturdays. For all we know Fisher chewed him out for it in film review, or maybe the guy was out of bounds already.

Somewhat to Big Ern's point I think criticism of play is fair on a board, but I'm curious what the rationale is behind using numbers or "this player" to do it. I know a lot of former players and media members do it as well, but why? We all know who we're talking about, I'm just genuinely curious about the difference between "Jackson has shied away from contact" and "this player has shied away from contact" and similar statements. I know a lot on twitter was directed at Young - what's better about saying "#5 took a bad angle" as opposed to "Young?"

Youre nitpicking 

if you’re going for the race card thing

lots of people bagged on Nate Gerry and think warner shouldn’t be playing and are in Washington’s corner so don’t go there

could care less what color someone is or where they are from

can you help us win games and rep the university well

thats all most of cars about 

1 minute ago, OTHusker said:

Your nitpicking 

if you’re going for the face card thing

lots of people bagged on Nate Gerry and think warner shouldn’t be playing and are in Washington’s corner so don’t go there

could care less what color someone is or where they are from

can you help us win games and rep the university well

thats all most of cars about 

I didn't say anything about race.. Just legitimately interested in why people use generic terms to talk about a player instead of their name. Same question with either of the guys you mentioned, I know people will point out clips saying things like "#81 just isn't fast enough here" instead of saying Warner. I don't have a problem with that comment, I just don't get why it's not "Warner isn't fast enough here."

6 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You already said that Riley's coaching staff was terrible. You have to break bad habits to install good ones.  The new staff even said that the first year was about basics.  I think you just like to argue.

They were 

we all know that 

tackling is a lot about want to

when I see kids shy away from contact that just gets to me 

same for the absolute basics of pad level and wrapping up 

if you are learning how to tackle in your 12th year of football

thats a big problem 

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I didn't say anything about race.. Just legitimately interested in why people use generic terms to talk about a player instead of their name. Same question with either of the guys you mentioned, I know people will point out clips saying things like "#81 just isn't fast enough here" instead of saying Warner. I don't have a problem with that comment, I just don't get why it's not "Warner isn't fast enough here."

Lots of people have used Warner’s name, Gerry’s name, bunch’s name, Farnioks name etc etc 

Just now, OTHusker said:

Lots of people have used Warner’s name, Gerry’s name, bunch’s name, Farnioks name etc etc 

I know, it just seems like some people either use names exclusively and some people avoid using names exclusively. I 100% do not have an issue with either, just seems like since you haven't been using the player's name you would be someone I could ask about the rationale behind that. Again, no problem with it, just legitimately curious since I personally find it easier to just use their name. It's really a question for anyone.

11 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

You must have me confused with someone else

i have us on 9 wins

have been highly complimentary of:

martinez

washington

spielman

allen

robinson 

mccafferey

nelson 

frost 

held 

moos

more 

but I guess I could just say something like everything is awesome

nu wins em all and will play in the national title game- no one will even score on us this season 

everything is perfect 

no room for improvement anywhere

please let me know what my next opinion should be so I can make you happy and submit it shortly do I can be a mirror image of you 

I digress..I enjoy everyone's opinion on HB...even yours.  I was just trying to point out the irony.  I don't post much but have been around long enough to see posters similar to you only last a few short months.  Lighten up a bit.  It's ok to disagree with people but be open to other peoples opinions, and if need be..move on.  

Now lets get back to dissecting 5 second twitter highlights.

• Plus1 4

A few posts have been moved to a new Tangent Thread in the Woodshed. Let's please keep this thread about spring practice. Also, 

1 hour ago, OTHusker said:

Youre nitpicking 

if you’re going for the race card thing

Who is making this about race and where are they making it about race?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Shoulder to hip, wrap, elevate and drive for 5 is great in a controlled practice. Have you ever played football? That's not how it's happen 95% of the time. Should you teach that? Yes. Is it going to happen in a live scenario like this probably not. 

If you watch that video Jackson cuts back up field to make the tackle. He's not coming head on with the guy. There is no way that he can wrap and elevate when they are both moving upfield. I know you don't teach guys to tackle like this, but the point is he did the best he could in this single scenario to out a shoulder on the hip and drive the guy out if bounds. On the next play he could have hit the guy with a perfect form tackle you have no idea. So to use this single play and say he hasn't improved is nonsense. 

yes I played 12 years worth

Not every tackle is going to be perfect, but our kid really didnt do much of anything correct on the "tackle" , with the exception of the excellent block destruct

Weve had far too many missed tackles right?

Far too many bumps instead of tackling right? REALLY dislike how we try to push ball carriers out of bounds- then fail to do so

31 PPG- lots of bad tackling

Got more physical as the season progressed, but still not there. 

Absolutely you can wrap lift and elevate from a side tackle- watch the Carroll video- plenty of live examples of it on that video as well as how they rep it- teach it. 

Most teams these days work on form into a landing mat prior to going 100% live

We do this drill in the below video- BUT we do with with BOTH players running upfield at the same time- Carrol does the same thing Im just copying him

Same principle- shoulder to hip, head behind, contact and elevate- drive for 5- to the ground

https://www.championshipproductions.com/news/2016/07/14/create-leverage-with-this-tackling-drill/

If you think you know more than Peter Carrol when it comes to tackling- you need to get to the NFL- make those big bucks

Some more info on tackling:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/15/college-football-tackling-methods-robots-targeting-rule

Seahawks coaches call the hawk tackle—in which the defender hits the ballcarrier’s thigh with a shoulder, grabs him and either spins him or powers him to the ground. Kwiatkowski teaches that series at Washington, and former Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash talked Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer into adopting it before Ash left to take over at Rutgers. Seto had been trying to persuade the Seahawks to adopt shoulder tackling when a comment from a visitor from the University of Birmingham—not UAB, the one in the United Kingdom—earlier this decade led him to video clips of rugby tackles. Seto saw players hitting ballcarriers hard enough to knock the breath from them, but the tacklers weren't launching themselves or leading with their heads. They had efficient leverage and their heads to the side of the contact zone. This was a concept he could take to All-Pro DBs Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman. “They have to really believe that this is going to help their career,” Seto says. “Not just to make them safe, but to make them more effective.”

The Seahawks bought his pitch and even released an instructional video on their rugby-style tackles before making a second straight run to the Super Bowl in 2014. The hawk drew the most media attention, but coaches also took notes on the profile tackle (a shoulder-to-chest tackle, which Saban would prefer) and the compression tackle (a two-on-one tackling method, usually with a combination of a hawk and a profile).

By that point Kwiatkowski had already made his own rugby connection. He worked at Boise State when the NCAA implemented its harsher punishment for targeting. Knowing he wanted to help his players to aim lower and keep their heads to the side of the ballcarrier to avoid ejections, he called on a college buddy who belonged to the Snake River Rugby Club. He helped Boise State coaches understand the leverage involved in rugby tackling and showed them drills. Kwiatkowski and the rest of Chris Petersen’s staff had moved to Washington by the time the Seahawks released their video, and they found themselves running on a parallel track with their local NFL team. “When we started doing this, we weren’t sold on the fact that getting the head behind versus in front was going to be a more efficient tackle. But now we know,” Kwiatkowski says. “When you shoulder punch and you get your foot in the ground and you tackle low, you’re way more efficient at getting guys on the ground.”

55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

A few posts have been moved to a new Tangent Thread in the Woodshed. Let's please keep this thread about spring practice. Also, 

Who is making this about race and where are they making it about race?

WI Husker- "Somewhat to Big Ern's point I think criticism of play is fair on a board, but I'm curious what the rationale is behind using numbers or "this player" to do it. I know a lot of former players and media members do it as well, but why? We all know who we're talking about, I'm just genuinely curious about the difference between "Jackson has shied away from contact" and "this player has shied away from contact" and similar statements. I know a lot on twitter was directed at Young - what's better about saying "#5 took a bad angle" as opposed to "Young?"

Young and Jackson are black- then in a later comment he said when people talk about #81 being slow- they dont mention his name. Warner is white. 

It seems like about everything these days in made into something about race- hope this wasnt was being trotted out- maybe it wasnt.