Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

I believe the intent of the short clip was to show the great job blowing up the block... the video should have stopped shortly after then we all wouldn't be reading arguing.  Good clips of solid fundamentals have been hard to come by these last few years and we are all hungry for some feel good vibes.  Keep in mind- The reality is if he had been a good form tackler with his athletic ability in high school, he probably wouldn't be wearing a Nebraska Jersey.  I sure hope it all clicks for him someday.  GBR  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

WI Husker- "Somewhat to Big Ern's point I think criticism of play is fair on a board, but I'm curious what the rationale is behind using numbers or "this player" to do it. I know a lot of former players and media members do it as well, but why? We all know who we're talking about, I'm just genuinely curious about the difference between "Jackson has shied away from contact" and "this player has shied away from contact" and similar statements. I know a lot on twitter was directed at Young - what's better about saying "#5 took a bad angle" as opposed to "Young?"

Young and Jackson are black- then in a later comment he said when people talk about #81 being slow- they dont mention his name. Warner is white. 

It seems like about everything these days in made into something about race- hope this wasnt was being trotted out- maybe it wasnt.

Wasn't my intention, Jackson and Young just happen to be 2 of the more criticized players from last year off the top of my head. I added Warner to clarify that I was asking about using numbers instead of names with criticism in general, not for any specific players.

3 hours ago, OTHusker said:

They were 

we all know that 

tackling is a lot about want to

when I see kids shy away from contact that just gets to me 

same for the absolute basics of pad level and wrapping up 

if you are learning how to tackle in your 12th year of football

thats a big problem 

Jesus are you done yet? We get it

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

This

just

in

teams

that 

tackle

better 

win

more

games

Is it KO time yet?

In defense of @OTHusker, Jackson has been the subject of severals seasons of less than "advertised" (hoped for) play.  Then again, you can add a long list of players who have not yet lived up to their accolades.  I am hoping that everything cliques for him and he plays lights out this year.  IMHO, praise is earned by this staff, not given as some pre-season pep talk. If they say Jackson has finally found "it", I'll tend to side with them.  

@OTHusker Actually, my point wasn’t just that you seem to be the biggest Debbie downer on the forum, but if you’re such a great coach of tackling form, what program are you currently instructing at? Overall, I recall LJ being beat a lot, and subquently being benched for it:

This then lead to him even considering transferring and then realizing that he needed to adapt to the system. Thus leading him returning to the starting lineup again and seemingly progressing as a player. Thus, leading to the point that he celebrated making solid contact on the play, on what actually seems like a decent hit. God forbid after a decent block shed and great angle. 

Also, I’ll throw highlights of Richard Sherman making a bigger, but relatively similar play were he forces a player out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEWbN0cUiY who so happens to be coached by the almightly Pete Carroll,  the greatest coach northwest of The Mississippi.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

@OTHusker Actually, my point wasn’t just that you seem to be the biggest Debbie downer on the forum, but if you’re such a great coach of tackling form, what program are you currently instructing at? Overall, I recall LJ being beat a lot, and subquently being benched for it:

This then lead to him even considering transferring and then realizing that he needed to adapt to the system. Thus leading him returning to the starting lineup again and seemingly progressing as a player. Thus, leading to the point that he celebrated making solid contact on the play, on what actually seems like a decent hit. God forbid after a decent block shed and great angle. 

Also, I’ll throw highlights of Richard Sherman making a bigger, but relatively similar play were he forces a player out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEWbN0cUiY who so happens to be coached by the almightly Pete Carroll,  the greatest coach northwest of The Mississippi.

When Jackson starts tackling with any consistency like Sherman and has a rare bump out instead of the butt or bump being his primary mode of attempting the tackle -  I will gladly retract my stating what his present game says  he is- a very weak tackler 

it was a great block shed and a fair angle at best albeit in a tiny space 

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Go get control of the Jurgens thread too.  Two pages of gravy recipe links.

I'm a little disgusted that you classify Hollandaise as gravy. Also it's the off season, we work with what we've got. At the moment that's 8 second clips from practice and an "injured" Jurgens sighting at a buffet. Details about the buffet are obviously very relevant. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm a little disgusted that you classify Hollandaise as gravy.

Have you ever considered how 'biscuits and gravy' sounds to an Englishman?