Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

Yep - reminds me of fall camp just before the 2017 season. I remember certain players talking about how the defense had been dominating in fall camp and that they would be really good that season.

:blink:

Has there been any word on whether these practices almost look like football?

16 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He would have to improve a lot from having just 5 tackles last year 

True, but we need all of the OLBs to improve. Davis played in every game with a couple starts, and he's got some athleticism. There's also not a ton of competition for the true weak side OLB either - I assume that's where Tannor is slotted as well, but he has been out of a few practices. The rest of the guys with that build (Nelson, Alston, Jamin Graham) seem a year or two away. If I remember correctly Davis' starts were against bigger teams where he could set the edge, I think that's his role again this year just hopefully with more production.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

True, but we need all of the OLBs to improve. Davis played in every game with a couple starts, and he's got some athleticism. There's also not a ton of competition for the true weak side OLB either - I assume that's where Tannor is slotted as well, but he has been out of a few practices. The rest of the guys with that build (Nelson, Alston, Jamin Graham) seem a year or two away. If I remember correctly Davis' starts were against bigger teams where he could set the edge, I think that's his role again this year just hopefully with more production.

I'm just a little surprised that we moved Miller back to ILB, even though he will be good there as well. I just feel (at this time) that Ferg, Barry, Honas, and Miller would be our best 4. Tannor was just a FR so I know he will only get better. I haven't see anything from A Davis that shows me something. I just want guys to go out and make plays. I'd have JoJo at that spot before Davis. 

25 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm just a little surprised that we moved Miller back to ILB, even though he will be good there as well. I just feel (at this time) that Ferg, Barry, Honas, and Miller would be our best 4. Tannor was just a FR so I know he will only get better. I haven't see anything from A Davis that shows me something. I just want guys to go out and make plays. I'd have JoJo at that spot before Davis. 

I'm with you on Miller, I'm still holding out hope he's only in the middle this Spring to have a body - without him, the only scholarship guys able to take live reps in the middle would be Barry and Henrich. I get the move for now. By Fall, you can add Honas, Hannah, and Snodgrass which is a little better but still not much depth. They really talk him up in the middle though, so we'll see. I think it's really going to depend on the team we're playing - they aren't going to put two 230lb OLBs on the field against Wisconsin or Iowa IMO. Against Purdue or Minnesota though, I'd definitely take Ferg, Barry, Honas/Miller, and Domann.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

A little surprised? Miller was moved to the middle last fall.  Every snap he played last season was at ILB. He is a ILB for good.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, NUinID said:

A little surprised? Miller was moved to the middle last fall.  Every snap he played last season was at ILB. He is a ILB for good.  

He's been moved 3 diff times tehcnically. I meant given our current situation for this year for the other OLB spot. Need someone to take a big step to see results. I feel like he could play either position and be successful. He was a OLB/DE in HS 

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I feel like he could play either position and be successful.

And he still might. One of the advantages the staff has talked about this spring in regards to it being Year 2 is how much more they can cross train guys.