Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Did I say the wrong name  - who was the Wisc RB who ran all over Bo's D??

Well I thought you intentionally butchered the name to be funny - Marvin Gorman, Melvin Gordon, same difference. But if that was unintentional now I have to ask, is it supposed to be "(Lavonte) David, (Randy) Gregory" or did you call Randy Gregory "David?"

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Some of the staff's true developmental abilities are still unknown, but Walters had the luxury of inheriting the two best receivers in school history. You are basically asking why a #3 receiver has not been developed, with less than a year to work with. Now in the coming year we will certainly need to see a new solid #2 and more reliable depth, but let's give it time.

i give Walters a pass too.........for now.  by October of next season we need to see some results.

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Some of the staff's true developmental abilities are still unknown, but Walters had the luxury of inheriting the two best receivers in school history. You are basically asking why a #3 receiver has not been developed, with less than a year to work with. Now in the coming year we will certainly need to see a new solid #2 and more reliable depth, but let's give it time.

I mean, I'm not ready to throw him out, but, i am disappointed that we didn't see anyone else who was even serviceable.  Yeah, i know a couple of other receivers had a handful of catches, but we really need the weapons do develop so that defenses can't just key in on JD.   While I appreciated the guys who got a few balls, no one has really shown themselves as a true threat.

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I mean, I'm not ready to throw him out, but, i am disappointed that we didn't see anyone else who was even serviceable.  Yeah, i know a couple of other receivers had a handful of catches, but we really need the weapons do develop so that defenses can't just key in on JD.   While I appreciated the guys who got a few balls, no one has really shown themselves as a true threat.

I thought Warner showed himself to be more than serviceable. Granted he’s a different type of receiver than Morgan or JD and doesn’t have the speed but not sure what we could expect with some of the Riley departures and who was left to work with. Walters will do just fine I suspect.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I thought Warner showed himself to be more than serviceable. Granted he’s a different type of receiver than Morgan or JD and doesn’t have the speed but not sure what we could expect with some of the Riley departures and who was left to work with. Walters will do just fine I suspect.

While I’m not at the stage of alarm like @Dilly Dilly, there does need to be some that startvsteppung up. Warner was serviceable. He’s not a game changer. 

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, he better be just fine or i shall feign more outrage.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:50 PM, Husker in WI said:

Well I thought you intentionally butchered the name to be funny - Marvin Gorman, Melvin Gordon, same difference. But if that was unintentional now I have to ask, is it supposed to be "(Lavonte) David, (Randy) Gregory" or did you call Randy Gregory "David?"

Man - I was really going tooooo fast for my brain - doing it at work!  I meant Randy Gregory and had LaVonte David on my mind also.  Damm ADHD!!

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Way too early to start getting frustrated/thinking about getting frustrated with Wolters. Kade came in as walk on and was serviceable last year, Reimers(also a walk on correct?) was used as the big body receiver and didn’t blow anyone’s socks off but was alright. The problem is Wolters inherited the best duo in DONU history, but he also inherited Riley and Bo’s recruiting, which clearly lacks a big receiver as well secondary development. So I think the kids we are looking to step up (Mcquitty for example who was down on the depth chart and sustained a significant injury) are playing catch up but I have a feeling when it clicks it’ll click in a big way. I also could be wrong and that’s why Frost and Co are making WR such a priority.

With all that said, I’m looking to see what kind of impact the elder Daniels has on the D line both in what he brings individually and how a veteran leader can up the play of those around him including that of Tate Wildeman, who I think could develop into a monster. Another two on defense I’ll be watching closely are Cam’ron Jones and Caleb Tannor. We are thin at safety and would benefit greatly to having Cam’ron catch on and develop in a significant way. Caleb Tannor made his way on the field as a true frosh and flashed signs of being a big time play maker, building on that and learning how to be a leader from Mo could do marvelous things for our defense for years to come.

On 12/14/2018 at 1:06 PM, TGHusker said:

If we can get 2 rushers - with the improvement I think we'll have at LB, we will finally have a D that is comparable to the O.  Our D was playing better at the end of the year but we need to have some game changer guys. They don't have to be SUH like but I'll take a L David or 2 or a RUUD like guy:D

i miss "The Bookends". Tomich and Wistrom playing like their hair was on fire. "Meet you at the QB " mentality. Idk if well ever see that again but i hope we do. Man that was fun.

• Plus1 1
On 12/15/2018 at 7:19 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Kade Warner was on the field likely because A. He consistently caught the football and B. He is our best run blocking WR. No block, no rock.

Also, Mcquitty was a RSFr last year no? Give the kid a break..

I really like guys like Warner and Stoll . Block well and catch everything. Hard workers who know the game and do the little things. Get you 5-10 yards when you need it. 

• Fire 1
11 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

i miss "The Bookends". Tomich and Wistrom playing like their hair was on fire. "Meet you at the QB " mentality. Idk if well ever see that again but i hope we do. Man that was fun.

Yes and that is partly how we beat Miami in the Orange Bowl for the NC - some great pass rushes in the 2nd half including one for a safety just stopped their O flat.   

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...