Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

FWIW, first-team defense during media availability:

DT - Damion Daniels

DE - Khalil Davis, Ben Stille

OLB - Alex Davis, Tyrin Ferguson

ILB - Mohamed Barry, Collin Miller

CB - Lamar Jackson (I assume Bootle but he wasn't listed in the report)

S - Marquel Dismuke, DWilliams

I wonder if alex davis is really with the first team or if this is because tannor was out.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

All I read was Wandale wasn't practicing :dunno

Frost said it was a minor hamstring injury but they didn't want to mess around and make it worse.

Frost said he actually thought Wan'Dale would go today but obviously he didn't.  He's expected to be back out there Wednesday.

From Hail Varsity:

Lamar Jackson jumped right into contact during the only contact drill we saw. Nebraska ran a modified Oklahoma drill with a lineman and downfield blocker for the offense and in two reps for Jackson, the senior corner looked as aggressive as we've seen him. Defensive backs coach Travis Fisher did say he's a done pancake that’s ready to be flipped.

:lol:

I'm sure we'll see plenty of the DL and LBs not specifically with the first group  - the coaches want to be at least 2 deep pretty much everywhere, corner seems like the only exception. But we'll see plenty of both Tannor and Alex Davis, and I expect the Daniels brothers to play about the same amount. It's hard to hold up as a NT for a whole game.

I'm really excited for the DL this year though - the coaches can really reshape the line for a lot of different situations really quickly. 3rd and 1? Damion at the nose and Darrion + a Davis brother looks pretty darn stout. Passing down? Davis on the nose, Stille, and Deontre Thomas or the other Davis has a good amount of pass rush potential.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Makes sense though to save characters.

Or, you know, just use more than one tweet. I don't think any of us would be upset about that.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Davis on the nose, Stille, and Deontre Thomas or the other Davis has a good amount of pass rush potential.

We go to an even front quite a bit in such situations, which means no one is at the nose and a LB slides down to rush. The twins can be anywhere in such a situation, but ideally inside and more of a pure edge rusher on the outside.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

The days of people playing every defensive snap are almost over with offenses running 90 or so plays per game. 

That’s a slight exaggeration. Last year no one averaged over 85, and only 7 teams averaged over 80. The median is about 72.

Pace has actually been going down, partly because defenses have caught on. One of their new favorite tricks is the slow substitution. When offenses sub, they have to allow the defense to sub but the play clock still runs. Defenses are exploiting that fact.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, brophog said:

Pace has actually been going down, partly because defenses have caught on. One of their new favorite tricks is the slow substitution. When offenses sub, they have to allow the defense to sub but the play clock still runs. Defenses are exploiting that fact.

That’s one of reasons frosts offense is so hard to defend

robinson, jones or Washington can lineup in the backfield but shift or motion to wr and be a real bear to cover 

12 minutes ago, brophog said:

That’s a slight exaggeration. Last year no one averaged over 85, and only 7 teams averaged over 80. The median is about 72.

The point still stands though. No one will play that many snaps in one game. Depth is crucial, especially if someone gets hurt or gets ejected for targeting. 

11 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

That’s one of reasons frosts offense is so hard to defend

robinson, jones or Washington can lineup in the backfield but shift or motion to wr and be a real bear to cover 

Especially against most of the defenses in the division, whom are LB heavy. Generally they don’t have the depth in the secondary to afford to remove what’s often their best players. 

Washington had his two best receiving days against Iowa and Wisconsin.  Expect a lot more of that.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1