Lavonte David

I am I

That is pretty dumb, David and Khalil Mack shouldn't be up for the same roster spot. The competition at LB is an obstacle to a pro bowl nod too, but I'd absolutely take David over Sean Lee (mentioned in the article as one of the guys blocking David). Keuchly and Wagner I'll give them, but the only reason Lee is considered that good is because plays in Dallas. I hope tampa figures something out or David gets a chance to move on, he deserves to at least make the playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

That is pretty dumb, David and Khalil Mack shouldn't be up for the same roster spot. The competition at LB is an obstacle to a pro bowl nod too, but I'd absolutely take David over Sean Lee (mentioned in the article as one of the guys blocking David). Keuchly and Wagner I'll give them, but the only reason Lee is considered that good is because plays in Dallas. I hope tampa figures something out or David gets a chance to move on, he deserves to at least make the playoffs. 

If Sean Lee is blocking David, that is ridiculous. The guy has been hurt half the year.

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

If Sean Lee is blocking David, that is ridiculous. The guy has been hurt half the year.

I guess I doubt he blocked him this year, Lee's just mentioned as one of the guys making it a tough competition in general. This year the  NFCOLBs are Mack, Barr, and Ryan Kerrigan - I can see the first 2, but even with 11 sacks I have a hard time buying Kerrigan as a top-3 OLB in the NFC.

• 10 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

There was a series on Sunday against the Saints where they got the ball around midfield - short punt and a decent return, big chance for momentum for the Saints. The drive went TFL by David, TFL by David, Pressure by David forcing a throw away, and punt. He is so good. And yet, even with Brady, their offense sucks.

7 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

There was a series on Sunday against the Saints where they got the ball around midfield - short punt and a decent return, big chance for momentum for the Saints. The drive went TFL by David, TFL by David, Pressure by David forcing a throw away, and punt. He is so good. And yet, even with Brady, their offense sucks.

The announcers were really impressed by that series in particular.  You could tell they would like to see David play for a contender.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice article on Lavonte and his fellow inside linbacker Devin White:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30222727/buccaneers-devin-white-lavonte-david-emerging-league-top-linebacking-duo

White and David have put up impressive numbers: The pair's 81 combined solo tackles and 116 combined tackles is the most of any duo this season, and they have missed only two combined snaps. Their 5.5 sacks and 14 combined pressures is also first among inside linebacking duos in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

"Lavonte can play in any defense you want to draw up -- he's a great football player. It's not really a scheme fit -- he fits everything," Arians said.

Its good to see him getting some national credit finally - I think if he had played for a team that had been a real contender during the first part of his career, he'd already be talked about as one of the greatest.

The other [Lavonte David], his teacher, has produced such gaudy stats over the past nine seasons that his résumé could easily be mistaken for a Hall of Famer's if not for all the glaring Pro Bowl omissions.

The lack of Pro Bowls is due to how poor Tampa Bay has been overall, particularly on offense the last 9 years.  Now that they have an offense their defense, and in particular, David, seems to finally be getting justified attention.

• Plus1 1