Husker Football Recruiting Class of 2019

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

In my opinion, Ty Robinson makes this class special. That was the number one thing that we needed - a really great defensive end prospect, and without that signing I would have been a bit worried to be honest. So we've got a four star DE, a four star linebacker, and a pretty special four star offensive line recruit also. 

This whole thing is going to take time but I see the defensive situation heading in the right direction with some of the additions from this class.

I agree.  I know it's extremely early to say this but I think there's a good chance we snagged to future all-americans in Benhart and Robinson.

6 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I agree.  I know it's extremely early to say this but I think there's a good chance we snagged to future all-americans in Benhart and Robinson.

I really hope so and I think you could be right.

The fan base has to sit tight and be patient. And that's why I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for a letdown for next season. Remember, even when you have kids like Benhart, Robinson, Banks, etc., the ideal situation is that the player redshirts and puts in the work in a Boyd Epley style strength program like I believe we're more or less back to now. You pack on the pounds for a whole season while the kid's body is potentially even still growing and definitely isn't as strong as it should be or could be.

Then he sees the field. But we're so beleaguered on our lines that we don't necessarily have that luxury. Maybe these three guys see the field next year. Maybe that's part of the deal with landing them. Or maybe they redshirt and we struggle on our lines again a bit until 2020. 

But that's ok. It's going to take time but the point is that these recruits are the foundation that you lay.

40 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Here is what I was was looking for: an upgrade in lineman, pass rushers & play makers to replace Stan & Zig.  I still think we need a pass rushing OLB and both Polas

Hope this doesn't come off as being overly critical but I would say that you've kind of listed a lot of things. Meaning, getting that many great things in Frost's first full cycle class is probably an unrealistic expectation.

Firstly because you don't just "replace Stan." Wandale Robinson could possibly replace Ozigbo. Nick Henrich (the linebacker from Omaha) may or may not play outside, but at 6-4 he just might have the frame, size, and athletic ability to be a good blitzer. We'll see.

We'll see if anybody else comes in. People who thought that Frost would take the 2017 UCF results and carry it over immediately into Top 15 classes (or even Top 20, honestly) will be disappointed because those expectations are simply unrealistic. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Hope this doesn't come off as being overly critical but I would say that you've kind of listed a lot of things. Meaning, getting that many great things in Frost's first full cycle class is probably an unrealistic expectation.

Firstly because you don't just "replace Stan." Wandale Robinson could possibly replace Ozigbo. Nick Henrich (the linebacker from Omaha) may or may not play outside, but at 6-4 he just might have the frame, size, and athletic ability to be a good blitzer. We'll see.

We'll see if anybody else comes in. People who thought that Frost would take the 2017 UCF results and carry it over immediately into Top 15 classes (or even Top 20, honestly) will be disappointed because those expectations are simply unrealistic. 

As far as Stan, its play makers which we got.   I still think we need a good OLB to complete this class.  Other than the Polas, I'm very satisfied with this class!

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

As far as Stan, its play makers which we got.   I still think we need a good OLB to complete this class.  Other than the Polas, I'm very satisfied with this class!

That makes sense. I'm pretty satisfied with this one also.

I think our defense will finally be back to being "good" if not "really good" by the 2020 season if there's zero attrition from this class. I honestly didn't expect to land a guy like Ty Robinson coming into the heart of the signing period and that exceeded expectations for sure.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

For clarity, I agree with much of what you're saying, but I'm not sure I follow with the bit about Wandale and Ozigbo. 'Replace' as in take his carries, 'replace' as in fill the role he had?

Either way, I don't think it's accurate to characterize him as a Zig replacement and I don't think that's what the coaches are looking for, either. Wandale is barely 5'10" and probably won't sniff Zig's playing weight. I think Mills is more of the guy you'd look at to fill Zig's role, assuming he can get on campus.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

For clarity, I agree with much of what you're saying, but I'm not sure I follow with the bit about Wandale and Ozigbo. 'Replace' as in take his carries, 'replace' as in fill the role he had?

Either way, I don't think it's accurate to characterize him as a Zig replacement and I don't think that's what the coaches are looking for, either. Wandale is barely 5'10" and probably won't sniff Zig's playing weight. I think Mills is more of the guy you'd look at to fill Zig's role, assuming he can get on campus.

I wasn't the one that said that originally; SouthLincoln Husker did.

2018 was all about taking 3 great players that had certain attributes and placing them around a great QB - 2019 and beyond will be about 2 or 3 great players that can do a lot and 5 or 6 great players that can expose a certain weakness in the defense and a QB that can make really quick decisions to burn those defenses.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:28 AM, GBRFAN said:

2018 was all about taking 3 great players that had certain attributes and placing them around a great QB - 2019 and beyond will be about 2 or 3 great players that can do a lot and 5 or 6 great players that can expose a certain weakness in the defense and a QB that can make really quick decisions to burn those defenses.

Next year we will be better but not great. But the 2020 offense is going to be something special barring any major defections or injuries. I just hope the defense can get to a serviceable level by then.

6 hours ago, billdozer15 said:

Next year we will be better but not great. But the 2020 offense is going to be something special barring any major defections or injuries. I just hope the defense can get to a serviceable level by then.

This would be my expectation too. Only way we do great is if defense and special teams both surprise to the upside. At this point we do not have a proven pass rusher, which is why I haven't drunk too much koolaid yet.