Free fluorescent tubes - come get

JJ Husker

I’ve got a bunch of fluorescent tubes if anybody has a use/need. Many are brand new, some have been used but were working when removed from service.

60ish 8’ T12 most are HO, some are single pin.

30ish 4’ T12 two pin

Free for the taking. Only catch is you will have to pickup in Greeley, CO area or arrange and pay for shipping.

Let me know if you are interested. I can get you more specifics if requested. 

I will be disposing of them in a month or two if I have not found a home for them.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:12 PM, 4skers89 said:

Seems like a waste to dispose of them.  Maybe post on craigslist or some local electricians might take them off your hands.

Yeah that’s what I thought until I tried to give them away. I thought for sure the Habitat for Humanity Restore would take them but they wouldn’t. Then I called ARC, Goodwill and another charity that specializes in recycling. Nobody would take them except for the last one and they were going to charge me 15¢ per lineal foot of tube which was going to be about $100. I guess a lot of places have been retrofitting LED’s like I just did? I may put them on Craigslist and see what happens.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah that’s what I thought until I tried to give them away. I thought for sure the Habitat for Humanity Restore would take them but they wouldn’t. Then I called ARC, Goodwill and another charity that specializes in recycling. Nobody would take them except for the last one and they were going to charge me 15¢ per lineal foot of tube which was going to be about $100. I guess a lot of places have been retrofitting LED’s like I just did? I may put them on Craigslist and see what happens.

I have about a dozen or so 4' T12's in my house, but I'm planning to upgrade to LED when they start burning out. Plus I don't want to drive to Greeley.

26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I have about a dozen or so 4' T12's in my house, but I'm planning to upgrade to LED when they start burning out. Plus I don't want to drive to Greeley.

That's the thing....people would be crazy to not go to LED's. In fact, I wouldn't even wait until the flourescents are no good knowing what I know now. The payback is crazy fast. I spent about $4000 converting everything in my shop and the energy savings alone calculated to about a 14 month payback and that's before the $1700+/- rebate I will be getting from Xcel. Cuts it down to about a 8 month payback and the light quality and brightness is way better. Of course our lights are all on during business hours.  Might be harder to justify with infrequent use in a home. I Wish I would've done it much sooner. Although I don't think they've had the direct replacement ballast bypass tubes available for very long.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, JJ Husker said:

That's the thing....people would be crazy to not go to LED's. In fact, I wouldn't even wait until the flourescents are no good knowing what I know now. The payback is crazy fast. I spent about $4000 converting everything in my shop and the energy savings alone calculated to about a 14 month payback and that's before the $1700+/- rebate I will be getting from Xcel. Cuts it down to about a 8 month payback and the light quality and brightness is way better. Of course our lights are all on during business hours.  Might be harder to justify with infrequent use in a home. I Wish I would've done it much sooner. Although I don't think they've had the direct replacement ballast bypass tubes available for very long.

Yeah, our lights aren't on more than a few hours a day, and I have the old ballast fixtures so I'd like to replace the entire fixture.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Ha Ha these were fun to smash as kids (minus the noxious gas they produce, of course!)

Seriously though , If you figure out somewhere to get rid of them lmk. i inherited a bunch of them with the house i bought a few years ago . I'll never use them. 

Nobody and I mean nobody has any use for flourescent tubes anymore. Get rid of them any way you can. Mine are gone and I can't tell you how or where they went. Well, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you ;)

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Nobody and I mean nobody has any use for flourescent tubes anymore. Get rid of them any way you can. Mine are gone and I can't tell you how or where they went. Well, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you ;)

Dude, I feel like a badass when I do some illegal dumping!  I hit like 3 apartment complexes a few months ago...I felt like a gangsta.

• Plus1 1