Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed

We're probably going to need some knuckleheads if we're going to get back to where NU football used to be.

There should be a very definite line regarding the types of stuff that we consider acceptable, but the overlap between guys with the athletic ability to pilot you to major success in college football and those who run into minor issues with the law or struggle with school is pretty significant.

Weed is pretty low on the list of things to worry about. Granted I'd never want someone to go through what RG or a Josh Gordon have gone through.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I don't care about smoking weed

Agree with this.

5 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

however I should be able to question his decision making process if he is choosing weed when he knows the negative repercussions for it in the state of Georgia and will hurt his immediate future. 

Agree with this, too.

1) Weed should be legal. C'mon.

2) Although it's stupid, weed is currently illegal. If it's going to get you in trouble, be smart and stay off the weed until it is.

Doesn't seem like rocket surgery.  :shrug:

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, knapplc said:

Agree with this.

Agree with this, too.

1) Weed should be legal. C'mon.

2) Although it's stupid, weed is currently illegal. If it's going to get you in trouble, be smart and stay off the weed until it is.

Doesn't seem like rocket surgery.  :shrug:

I agree with that also  but when we’re talking about football players and their potential I think it’s a much deeper subject than if it’s legal or not. Sure, the legal issues are the problems we hear about and that cause headlines, and yes it’s a problem when players can’t behave in their own best interests. However, the bigger problem with weed imo is that I have yet to ever hear any coach or organization say “we need more pot smokers” or “that kid could’ve made the play if only he were on the chronic” or anything remotely similar.  We all can debate all day about how weed isn’t that bad of a thing or that it’s legal in many places now and likely will be everywhere soon, and I’d agree with that, but it still doesn’t make it something anybody really wants for their team. It will never be a check mark in the positive attributes column. And I think any player that doesn’t realize that and act accordingly can be doubted as to their commitment and focus.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with that also  but when we’re talking about football players and their potential I think it’s a much deeper subject than if it’s legal or not. Sure, the legal issues are the problems we hear about and that cause headlines, and yes it’s a problem when players can’t behave in their own best interests. However, the bigger problem with weed imo is that I have yet to ever hear any coach or organization say “we need more pot smokers” or “that kid could’ve made the play if only he were on the chronic” or anything remotely similar.  We all can debate all day about how weed isn’t that bad of a thing or that it’s legal in many places now and likely will be everywhere soon, and I’d agree with that, but it still doesn’t make it something anybody really wants for their team. It will never be a check mark in the positive attributes column. And I think any player that doesn’t realize that and act accordingly can be doubted as to their commitment and focus.

There has been research (although not a lot yet for obvious reasons) showing that weed is better for injury recovery/pain relief than opioids with far less chance of bad side effects/addiction. There has also been research showing that it is good for athletes who have had brain injuries. If weed was only better because it kept the players off of opioids, it would be worth it. I read an article stating NFL players are 4x more likely to abuse opioids than the general population. If they were allowed to smoke pot, that would decrease dramatically.

Having no coach say “we need more pot smokers” is not in any way evidence that smoking pot would lower performance in sports. The players who smoke pot and get caught may be less desired, but not necessarily because pot has any negative effect on them - it can simply be because they know the rule is there, they know the consequences, and they’re still breaking the rule. Whatever stupid rules there are, you usually don’t want someone in your organization who is the type of person who would break those rules out of selfishness.

If marijuana was legal, I find it highly unlikely there would be any significant difference in the quality of players between those who smoke/eat it and those who don’t.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, definitely agree with this.  All I was pointing out was the bare minimum logic.  The reality is, even when pot is legal everywhere, it's still going to be on the banned substances list from most every major university, just like alcohol is.  No coach wants their kids getting high before games just like they don't want them drinking.  Clear heads and all that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There has been research (although not a lot yet for obvious reasons) showing that weed is better for injury recovery/pain relief than opioids with far less chance of bad side effects/addiction. There has also been research showing that it is good for athletes who have had brain injuries. If weed was only better because it kept the players off of opioids, it would be worth it. I read an article stating NFL players are 4x more likely to abuse opioids than the general population. If they were allowed to smoke pot, that would decrease dramatically.

Having no coach say “we need more pot smokers” is not in any way evidence that smoking pot would lower performance in sports. The players who smoke pot and get caught may be less desired, but not necessarily because pot has any negative effect on them - it can simply be because they know the rule is there, they know the consequences, and they’re still breaking the rule. Whatever stupid rules there are, you usually don’t want someone in your organization who is the type of person who would break those rules out of selfishness.

If marijuana was legal, I find it highly unlikely there would be any significant difference in the quality of players between those who smoke/eat it and those who don’t.

I won’t dispute that weed is better and less dangerous than opioids and many other forms of recreational drugs or alcohol. I really don’t have a problem with it’s use or with it being legalized. And I don’t want to get into a discussion about whether the current rules are stupid or not, especially within this topic.

However, I do not agree with your closing sentence. My viewpoint is purely anecdotal and based solely on my observations and experiences. I simply have never seen its use as a good thing or beneficial when it comes to sports. It definitely has it’s place and benefits for many things but none of it manifests in better physical or mental performance as related to sports. I have seen it make people more relaxed, lackadaisical, less motivated and the list goes on. I have not ever seen it make anyone better physically or motivated to achieve more. Rather, imo, it has hampered many an athlete who seemingly would’ve had much higher (no pun intended) ceilings if they would’ve/could’ve laid off the bong.

And for reference, I’m not some old fogey who is opposed to the devil’s lettuce. I smoked my share of it back in my college days, voted to legalize it here in Colorado and have recently used some edibles for beneficial purposes (sleep aid and pain) and even very rarely for purely recreational purposes. It’s just not the type of thing that causes a person to go be their best when considered in the context of high level D1 football.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is false.

"Those groups have shrewdly recast marijuana as a medicine rather than an intoxicant. Some have even claimed that marijuana can help slow the opioid epidemic, though studies show that people who use cannabis are more likely to start using opioids later."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/marijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.html

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.17040413

• Mavric changed the title to Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed