Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed

19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Washington(known entity)

Mills

Bradley?

Mazour/Rahmir Johnson? 

RS Thompkins and Bivens

I would put the last 5 in one big pot and you can pull whichever one out randomly.  I do believe Thompkins will redshirt though.

Getting Mills in the RB room is huge as long as he actually makes it to campus in shape.  Not getting here till Summer diminishes his ability to benefit from our S&C program.

The good thing is, he has Div 1 experience and proven he can produce at this level.  AND.....the RB position is possibly the easiest position to learn the playbook for on offense.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would put the last 5 in one big pot and you can pull whichever one out randomly.  I do believe Thompkins will redshirt though.

Getting Mills in the RB room is huge as long as he actually makes it to campus in shape.  Not getting here till Summer diminishes his ability to benefit from our S&C program.

The good thing is, he has Div 1 experience and proven he can produce at this level.  AND.....the RB position is possibly the easiest position to learn the playbook for on offense.

I would agree with you 100%. Of course not sure we even sign Bivens, but I think we could use him on the roster. Miles Jones and Wandale should provide some extra depth from the R position. 

As far as Mills is concerned, just get him in here. He will be behind the curve a bit but hopefully we won't need to lean on him right away and he can grow within our culture. If he does, I expect big things.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

I would agree with you 100%. Of course not sure we even sign Bivens, but I think we could use him on the roster. Miles Jones and Wandale should provide some extra depth from the R position. 

As far as Mills is concerned, just get him in here. He will be behind the curve a bit but hopefully we won't need to lean on him right away and he can grow within our culture. If he does, I expect big things.

I don’t think Wandale is going to be providing depth.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Washington(known entity)

Mills

Bradley?

Mazour/Rahmir Johnson? 

RS Thompkins and Bivens

Based on the depth chart and playing time at the end of last season, I think Mazour will be the backup at the beginning of the season and Mills will get more and more carries as the backup as the season goes on. 

47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think Wandale is going to be providing depth.

Depth isn't exactly the right word here since we are actually talking about two separate positions. Wandale will consume a certain number of carries from the backfield. We wouldn't say a tight end is depth at wide receiver, yet we understand having a tight end on the field means he's likely to be part of the pass distribution.

Just as a team may use a tight end more in the passing game if receiver depth becomes an issue, we may see Wandale with more or less carries based on how productive the primary RBs are. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

Based on the depth chart and playing time at the end of last season, I think Mazour will be the backup at the beginning of the season and Mills will get more and more carries as the backup as the season goes on. 

Don't see that personally but I respect your opinion. Mazour will be 3rd string at best in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, brophog said:

Depth isn't exactly the right word here since we are actually talking about two separate positions. Wandale will consume a certain number of carries from the backfield. We wouldn't say a tight end is depth at wide receiver, yet we understand having a tight end on the field means he's likely to be part of the pass distribution.

Just as a team may use a tight end more in the passing game if receiver depth becomes an issue, we may see Wandale with more or less carries based on how productive the primary RBs are. 

Precisely 

Last year we all thought we had the RB situation figured out before the season started, and it changed very quickly. Tre had to retire, Bell left, Ozigbo and Washington rose to the top. I'm glad the staff brought in a few more talented guys, and i'm confident they will find ways to use all those weapons. Someone will separate from the pack and be a true every down running back and i think it will be Mills. Hes already built right, and already has experience against division 1 competition, he should be able to play at a high level right away.   

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

Last year we all thought we had the RB situation figured out before the season started, and it changed very quickly. Tre had to retire, Bell left, Ozigbo and Washington rose to the top. I'm glad the staff brought in a few more talented guys, and i'm confident they will find ways to use all those weapons. Someone will separate from the pack and be a true every down running back and i think it will be Mills. Hes already built right, and already has experience against division 1 competition, he should be able to play at a high level right away.   

Let the debate start then. I don't think anyone's going to be an every down back, but if anyone is it will be Washington. Even Ozigbo wasn't an every down back last year. I don't see anyone supplanting Washington as the starter unless Washington gets hurt. I think he's going to be great next season.

I guess when i think of a true running back i think of straight hand off, run between the tackles kind of back. Get 5-10 yards and occasionally pop a long run. I think Mills has more of the body build/running style to be that guy, than Washington. I see Washington and Robinson needing to be out in space more to utilize their speed  and moves. Swing passes , pitch plays, reverses, etc would work well with them. Having all those guys on the field at once plus Martinez would be a nightmare for defenses and fun for us to watch.