Dedrick Mills - LOI Signed

47 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I guess when i think of a true running back i think of straight hand off, run between the tackles kind of back. Get 5-10 yards and occasionally pop a long run. I think Mills has more of the body build/running style to be that guy, than Washington. I see Washington and Robinson needing to be out in space more to utilize their speed  and moves. Swing passes , pitch plays, reverses, etc would work well with them. Having all those guys on the field at once plus Martinez would be a nightmare for defenses and fun for us to watch.  

I might have a different definition of "every down back" than you. When I hear that I think back to the 90s when most teams seemed to have one RB who played the whole game until the game was a blowout. I don't remember our main RB subbing a lot although there are exceptions like with Calvin Jones and Derek Brown.

Anyhow, I still disagree using your description. I seem to recall when Washington came in, Frost saying Washington was happy whenever he weighed in at 180. He's probably never gonna be some bruising runner but I think he'll be a lot sturdier next season. In high school he was 190. I can see him being 200 and still staying fast. Abdullah was around 190lbs at Nebraska and he's 5'9. He seemed to do fine between the tackles. The equivalent for Washington would be 201lbs.

• Plus1 1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, Big Red 40 said:

I guess when i think of a true running back i think of straight hand off, run between the tackles kind of back. Get 5-10 yards and occasionally pop a long run. I think Mills has more of the body build/running style to be that guy, than Washington. I see Washington and Robinson needing to be out in space more to utilize their speed  and moves. Swing passes , pitch plays, reverses, etc would work well with them. Having all those guys on the field at once plus Martinez would be a nightmare for defenses and fun for us to watch.  

There is nothing wrong with your definition of an every down running back, but I don’t know if that really applies to Frost’s offense. Mo is going to be on the field the most at RB in 2019, because he is the most versatile. We’ve already seen him be great getting outside in space running and catching the ball. In 2019, they will get him more involved in the between the tackles game. Mo is going to be 20 pounds heavier in 2019, to enable him to be stronger and more durable. He was already a pretty tough runner, he just didn’t have the necessary size to be a complete back.

Mills will have his place in the offense, and will probably be on the field a lot with Mo. I just don’t see him getting as many carries/touches as Mo. Mills may be the back to use in the 4th quarter to move the chains against a worn-down defense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mills will have his place in the offense, and will probably be on the field a lot with Mo.

My guess is we don’t see a lot of this. We did see some two back sets with Mo and Zig, but we didn’t have an R last year. More likely it’s one of those two plus a guy like Wandale or Jones.

To your bigger point, Ozigbo had a lot of runs where first contact wasn’t for several yards and he’s more or less a straight line runner. Contrast that to a year ago where first contact was too often behind the line. More than body styling, it’s learning how to run the way Held wants that will change for Mo who tended to run around people the way he did in high school. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, bugeater17 said:

Based on the depth chart and playing time at the end of last season, I think Mazour will be the backup at the beginning of the season and Mills will get more and more carries as the backup as the season goes on. 

Granted Washington is pretty talented but he was in front of Mazour despite coming-in right at the start of camp way underweight. Mills is a quality rb in his own right that should be more physically ready, and having gotten into GT should be bright enough to pick things up. Think he gets considerable reps right out of the gate and Mazour tries to hold on to the the #3 spot against the frosh and Bradley. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Bradley leaves for a better situation. 

• Plus1 2

19 hours ago, Danimal said:

Granted Washington is pretty talented but he was in front of Mazour despite coming-in right at the start of camp way underweight. Mills is a quality rb in his own right that should be more physically ready, and having gotten into GT should be bright enough to pick things up. Think he gets considerable reps right out of the gate and Mazour tries to hold on to the the #3 spot against the frosh and Bradley. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Bradley leaves for a better situation. 

This, though I think Raheem Johnson is the only frosh who will push for early reps. Thompkins needs more time to get all the way back to 100% but I really hope we get to see him in a few games at the end of the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should change this topic to the RB Depth Chart now...Ha ha.

I think that moving forward you wont see 1 guy get the lion share of carries.  As the depth forms, you will see this staff use the kids according to their strengths.  Thats what good leadership does.  Also, with this offense you cannot really think in terms of carries as much as touches.  Yes, there will be a guy who leads in carries, but I think the idea is to have 2 or 3 guys who can run the rock. 

On 1/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, bugeater17 said:

Based on the depth chart and playing time at the end of last season, I think Mazour will be the backup at the beginning of the season and Mills will get more and more carries as the backup as the season goes on. 

Also Mazour as a back up? Where is Washington gonna be? Bradley? Johnson? I think it will be amazing if he makes it as a 3rd option.  That stable is filling up, gonna be a tough room again. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, boach_clack said:

I think that moving forward you wont see 1 guy get the lion share of carries.  As the depth forms, you will see this staff use the kids according to their strengths.  Thats what good leadership does.  Also, with this offense you cannot really think in terms of carries as much as touches.  Yes, there will be a guy who leads in carries, but I think the idea is to have 2 or 3 guys who can run the rock. 

Also Mazour as a back up? Where is Washington gonna be? Bradley? Johnson? I think it will be amazing if he makes it as a 3rd option.  That stable is filling up, gonna be a tough room again. 

What do you mean by "Where is Washington gonna be"?  Maurice is the clear #1 at RB.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

Ummm I dont think so, I think he is more like a 1B.  I think you see him playing in the same role he was in last year, but with 5-8 more touches. 

Then who is 1A?

Maurice is going to get the most amount of touches from all the RB's.  Frost wants the big-play ability and versatility, and Washington brings that to the offense.  

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

Washington will be the starter. Mazour will get 2nd team reps at the beginning (as he will be more familiar with the offense and fulfills the between the tackle RB role) but Mills will overtake Mazour's reps as the season goes on. Mazour was essentially 2nd team last year as Zig and Washington split reps with the 1s and Mazour was out with the 2nd team when mop up time came. The coaching staff likes Mazour's leadership and work ethic and will be tough for Mills to unseat as the backup as Mills is learning the offense in fall camp. 

I agree with you that touches will be split up among many players and positions. 

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Then who is 1A?

Maurice is going to get the most amount of touches from all the RB's.  Frost wants the big-play ability and versatility, and Washington brings that to the offense.  

I think MIlls is probably your 1A, IF he keeps his nose clean.  He is your down hill inside power guy.  Washington can do some of that, but his runs will be different. 

4 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I think MIlls is probably your 1A, IF he keeps his nose clean.  He is your down hill inside power guy.  Washington can do some of that, but his runs will be different. 

Washington will get more touches, that makes him the 1A.  He is bulking up and learning the offense better to be more of an inside threat, to go along with his ability on the outside/open space.  Mills will have his role, but he's not getting more touches than Washington.

• Plus1 1