Assistant Coach Leaving?

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in what I thought would be a pretty deep set of options before the season started. 

I don’t know I would’ve called what we had a deep WR group. Unless I’m missing someone we only had 3 scholarship WRs who had caught a pass in FBS football. Even then only two of those guys were proven commodities. Tyjon Lindsey seemed more hype than anything and bounced before the season started to turn.

• Fire 1

I agree to a degree, Mav...

but if the oline can make a jump, a tFR at RB can contribute, and a tFR QB can be so good...then just by the system WR should also be better.  At some point, and I don’t know what that is cuz I’m not there...the WR’s should contribute on a better level as well. 

Was it blocking, actually catching passes, knowing the system, trust, work ethic etc etc?

everyone on offense seemed to show good signs, except depth at WR. However, sometimes it’s just the players. I think the WR Coach was probly coaching his a$$ off and if guys can’t take a step up, sometimes it’s on the players (when everyone else seemed to get better)  

For instance, I was actually surprised that Warner played  so much and made plays. He was a walk-on right? So he gained; we had 2 receivers go for nearly 1000 and were very dominate at times within the system. If other guys with “more talent” couldn’t step up sometimes it’s on them, not coaching, considering ‘lesser’ players were on the field and helped make plays. 

Now, a great talent that just never seems to get it or make plays after 2-3 yrs I think you can point to coaching maybe. But when 2 guys break records and a walk-on is getting his, to me personally, I put the onus on the player rather than the coach at this time.  

Hopefully another off season and more coaching helps these guys all reach their potential, that’s why I’m in the camp of keeping the coaches until we see a dramatic DROP in production rather than first yr coaches “underperforming” get tossed. Production was up, players got better, and there is only room for more improvement. 

46 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I hope coach Walters doesn't leave and like I am I 'I' don't want any one from this staff to leave either!  At some point some of these guys may have that opportunity though and for that I can't fault them.  Hope we can keep this group together for a long while however.

GBR

Agreed. I would like them to keep being paid enough so these guys only would only leave for a perfect opportunity, never money.  Pay them enough so group of 5 jobs aren't even a factor.

Continuity is way more important than people think, especially at Nebraska.

23 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yes and no.  Those two WRs were also pretty darn good before he got here.  The part where we seemed unable to really get anyone else to step up is at least worth questioning.

I'm not saying I want Walters gone.  But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in what I thought would be a pretty deep set of options before the season started.  Obviously there are a lot of things that go into into it.  And coaches can't control everything.  But our third-leading WR was only the sixth-leading pass-catcher on the team.  That was surprising to me.

yes a little surprising that more receivers didn't step up - but it was very obvious that we would have a couple backs that had their fair share of catches add in a TE as a possibility and that seems reasonable for being 6th best.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:21 AM, CornHunka said:

My nephew is a student manager.  He said he hasn't heard a word about any coach leaving.  BTW, he knew last week that Ty Robinson was signing with the Huskers.

Maybe your guy is legit but I think you could have asked about anyone and they would have said Ty was picking Nebraska. 

On 12/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I actually like Nebraska weather....other than January and February.  There is nothing good about either of those months.

Not to make this the Weather Channel thread, but I still debate - what is worse Jan - Feb in S.D where I grew up or July-Aug in Tulsa.  I always thought you can put on enough clothes to keep warm but it is hard to escape hot, humid weather (if you aren't a beach person that is. - I'm a mtn person, not a beach person).

:backtotopic  I can't see any assistant coach leaving at this point. They have to all know that they are on the verge of something special. They no Frost will treat them right as well as the admin as they turn this ship around.  They also know they will be treated like kings here at NU as we start winning.  At other programs they will be just another coach - here they will have our on going support as they build a consistent winner.   Look how 'famous' Tom's former assistant coaches remain wt the Husker fan base.  We still talk about Tom's assistant coaches.  The only gig these guys should leave for is a head coaching gig or maybe the NFL. But then again, why take on those head those headaches if you can make a great living here - unless of course you have the inner drive to be the top dog - which some may have.  But a lateral move by any of these coaches doesn't make sense at this time IMHO unless it is an important family situation.

20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

debate - what is worse Jan - Feb in S.D where I grew up or July-Aug in Tulsa.  I always thought you can put on enough clothes to keep warm but it is hard to escape hot, humid weather (if you aren't a beach person that is. - I'm a mtn person, not a beach person).

I used to think that....but the older I get, the more I hate the cold. Now, at least in the mountains there is fun things to do in the cold. 

I’ll hang out in the boat at the lake all summer to stay cool. 

I dont see anyone leaving either.