Sami Slaughter leaving Husker VB

knapplc

Attrition happens all the time, but still, you hate to see these kids go.

Coyote VB adds Slaughter

VERMILLION – A former South Dakota prep volleyball Player of the Year will be transferring to continue her collegiate career at South Dakota, Coach Leanne Williamson announced on Thursday.

Sami Slaughter, the 2016 Gatorade Player of the Year after leading Harrisburg High School to a state title, will be joining the Coyotes after spending her first two collegiate seasons at Nebraska.

The 6-foot 1-inch Slaughter, who will enroll this spring, will have two seasons of eligibility remaining and is joining a Coyotes team fresh off the school's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance at the Division I level.

"We are really excited to have Sami back in South Dakota!," Williamson said. "We have always thought very highly of Sami both as an athlete and as a person. She gained high-level experience during two Final Four runs for Nebraska.

"We believe she is going to fit in with our culture both on and off the court and help us continue to strive to win championships."

Slaughter, an Academic All-Big Ten selection, appeared in 10 matches this fall while totaling 25 kills and 11 digs as Nebraska reached the National Championship match. She appeared in six matches and totaled five kills during the Huskers national title season in 2017.

Slaughter had a monster senior season as a prep at Harrisburg, hammering home a school-record 39 kills in the state championship match win. She closed her prep career as the school record holder for kills in a match (39), season (458) and career (1,205) while she also owns the career blocks mark (304).

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Kind of odd.  Does she hate winning? 

I wish her the best none the less.

Not odd at all. In fact, it proves she's a competitor and loves the game.

There are only six spots on the floor, and she played behind Davis, Sun & Sweet at OH this year. Add to that mix two First-Team Under Armor All-Americans in this recruiting class with Kubik & Zuhn, and she's (rightly) wondering how much of the court she's going to see.

We lose three girls from this year's team, Foecke, Maloney & Smith.  We bring in five super-talented Freshmen in this class.  Attrition is bound to happen, and likely isn't over.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not odd at all. In fact, it proves she's a competitor and loves the game.

There are only six spots on the floor, and she played behind Davis, Sun & Sweet at OH this year. Add to that mix two First-Team Under Armor All-Americans in this recruiting class with Kubik & Zuhn, and she's (rightly) wondering how much of the court she's going to see.

We lose three girls from this year's team, Foecke, Maloney & Smith.  We bring in five super-talented Freshmen in this class.  Attrition is bound to happen, and likely isn't over.

I was going more off the her appearing in 10 matches this season with 25 kills and 11 digs, that seems like a decent amount of playing time and I assumed it would increase next season.  I didn't realize she had 3 girls in front of her and don't follow VB recruiting so that makes sense.

27 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I was going more off the her appearing in 10 matches this season with 25 kills and 11 digs, that seems like a decent amount of playing time and I assumed it would increase next season.  I didn't realize she had 3 girls in front of her and don't follow VB recruiting so that makes sense.

I watched a lot of their matches this year and I don't recall ever seeing her on the floor. Guessing her appearances were in garbage time. She was clearly not going to see the court with Foecke, Sun, Sweet and Davis being ahead of her and only 1 of those is leaving.

I can't blame her at all for seeking out somewhere she will obviously play a lot more rotations. One thing I think I've learned about girls and volleyball is that they want to play as much as possible. Not saying they aren't team oriented but winning while watching would be a distant 2nd to playing more and possibly winning less. And especially at Nebraska, these girls are used to playing a bunch, most of them every game every rotation before they got to Nebraska. Standing in the corner watching has to be extremely hard on them. Good luck to her.

47 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I watched a lot of their matches this year and I don't recall ever seeing her on the floor. Guessing her appearances were in garbage time. She was clearly not going to see the court with Foecke, Sun, Sweet and Davis being ahead of her and only 1 of those is leaving.

I can't blame her at all for seeking out somewhere she will obviously play a lot more rotations. One thing I think I've learned about girls and volleyball is that they want to play as much as possible. Not saying they aren't team oriented but winning while watching would be a distant 2nd to playing more and possibly winning less. And especially at Nebraska, these girls are used to playing a bunch, most of them every game every rotation before they got to Nebraska. Standing in the corner watching has to be extremely hard on them. Good luck to her.

Yea, that all makes sense.  I follow the vb team and watch a decent number of their matches but not nearly like fb and basketball.  I don't follow closely enough to have known she'd be so buried on the roster.  My original comment about her hating winning was somewhat tongue in cheek.  I'm aware there's circumstances that would make her want to transfer like she could just be homesick.  

Regardless, I'm not faulting her for it, just feel like you don't normally see many people transfer from a team that just made the NC but sounds like vb is different in that regard.

57 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

2 or 3 years ago NU had 3? players leave for similar reasons and one was a sister of a player.   In this case she got a NC and now gets to go somewhere where she will play every point.

It was 2015, four players departed, and roughly all left before June. The sister who left is Molly Haggerty, the sister of Meghan Haggerty who played (and starred) for Nebraska from 2012-2015. 

I thought the season was in trouble. At the preseason get-together that year I thought Cook looked/seemed tired, and maybe less interested in coaching than he had before.  I was worried. We went 32-4 that year, trounced everyone after about mid-October, and demolished Texas 3-0 in the National Championship match.

Shows what I know about how Cook does his job. :D

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You mean JB and Lauren? The folks on the radio?

Probably the BTN announcers, I know they can't get enough of Schwarzenblock - which to be fair, is an awesome nickname. The worst I've heard was "Sun rises up for a kill!" I mean I like puns and everything, but it was too much kinda like Ozigbo's "divine" touchdown run. If Davis was a setter they would have figured out Capri Sun, there just aren't that many opportunities since they rarely touch the ball in that order.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

You mean JB and Lauren? The folks on the radio?

No, I was mostly referencing the BTN announcers. I don't listen to the radio broadcast. Don't get me wrong, Schwarzenblock is great name considering she is so adept at blocking. But they tended to use it a bit much on BTN.

I do kind of look forward to the time Davis sets Sun for the kill and they can use Capri Sun. But that will be a freak play unless Capri changes positions.