Dumbledore's hiring decisions...impact on the Huskers?

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Do we even know if he’s good yet? Damn this is like that time when Voldemort cursed the Defense Against the Dark Arts position.

DONT SAY HIS NAME!

and honestly, that was just poor hiring by Albus. 

I mean Quirrel couldnt communicate. 

Lockhart clearly was a fraud.

He follows that up by hiring a werewolf.. 

Then a guy with a peg leg and a magical eye... 

I could go on, but I assume I have lost most people. 

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Never actually seen him smoke a cigar though

USE YOUR IMAGINATION

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

DONT SAY HIS NAME!

and honestly, that was just poor hiring by Albus. 

I mean Quirrel couldnt communicate. 

Lockhart clearly was a fraud.

He follows that up by hiring a werewolf.. 

Then a guy with a peg leg and a magical eye... 

I could go on, but I assume I have lost most people. 

USE YOUR IMAGINATION

Eh. Dumbledore knew he had to train Harry so he had to hire a bunch of dangerous characters to test him. 

And no you can’t go on. I take umbrage with the idea that Umbridge was Dumbledore’s fault.

And hiring Snape is never wrong.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Eh. Dumbledore knew he had to train Harry so he had to hire a bunch of dangerous characters to test him. 

And no you can’t go on. I take umbrage with the idea that Umbridge was Dumbledore’s fault.

And hiring Snape is never wrong.

I dont think Albus had a choice in hiring Umbridge. That was a Fudge decision.

And yes, hiring a known death eater even if you think he is a spy isnt the best move... And the only way he could hire him was by bringing back a potions professor for the sole purpose of extracting 1 memory.

Albus hired like Bo did. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont think Albus had a choice in hiring Umbridge. That was a Fudge decision.

And yes, hiring a known death eater even if you think he is a spy isnt the best move... And the only way he could hire him was by bringing back a potions professor for the sole purpose of extracting 1 memory.

Albus hired like Bo did. 

Snape was always Dumbledore's inside guy. There was no 'if you think', Dumbledore orchestrated the whole thing playing 4D chess from the start. Slughorn was also capable and qualified, even if the most primary reason for hiring him was ulterior to his teaching potions.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Landlord said:

Snape was always Dumbledore's inside guy. There was no 'if you think', Dumbledore orchestrated the whole thing playing 4D chess from the start. Slughorn was also capable and qualified, even if the most primary reason for hiring him was ulterior to his teaching potions.

I am assuming the mods are going to come down on us like a bludger here shortly.. but ill nerd out while I can...

Dumbledores only hold on Snape was the fact Harry had Lilys eyes. Snape was cracking under the pressure and honestly Albus put too much faith in someone who was close to snapping.

Slughorn might know potions, but he also "collected" students. He proved to be easily manipulated by people he considered special. He basically gave Tom Riddle the final information he needed to create the horcruxes and Albus thought "Hey, lets bring this guy back in here to be around people like Draco Malfoy"..

• Plus1 2
Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

I am assuming the mods are going to come down on us like a bludger here shortly.. but ill nerd out while I can...

Dumbledores only hold on Snape was the fact Harry had Lilys eyes. Snape was cracking under the pressure and honestly Albus put too much faith in someone who was close to snapping.

Slughorn might know potions, but he also "collected" students. He proved to be easily manipulated by people he considered special. He basically gave Tom Riddle the final information he needed to create the horcruxes and Albus thought "Hey, lets bring this guy back in here to be around people like Draco Malfoy"..

That's all correct. But it was all successfully under Dumbledore's master manipulation. Malfoy's doings were no secret to Dumbledore. Snape's struggle was also no secret (side note: Harry's eyes were the external symbol of Snape/Dumbledore loyalty, but the real thing went much deeper as Dumbledore exploited the power of Snape's eternal regret and guilt and knew that would be a hold on him forever). Slughorn's vulnerability was accounted for to the level that it wouldn't end in anything catastrophic or unfixable. The biggest credit to Dumbledore was how he orchestrated so many pieces in a way that still allowed and accounted for ways that things could or would go wrong. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I'm guessing this will soon be moved to a thread with a title such as "Dumbledore's hiring decisions...impact on the Huskers?"

While Snape was an interesting character, and the complexity of his personal story throughout the series was quite compelling, I can't help but think that his entire premise is rather flimsy. Essentially, he was manipulated by his boss, to the death, because he was not able to get over his high school crush? What's the moral of the story: unless you get over your high school girlfriend, you will be forced to babysit her ungrateful children, until you are eaten by a snake?

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

I'm guessing this will soon be moved to a thread with a title such as "Dumbledore's hiring decisions...impact on the Huskers?"

While Snape was an interesting character, and the complexity of his personal story throughout the series was quite compelling, I can't help but think that his entire premise is rather flimsy. Essentially, he was manipulated by his boss, to the death, because he was not able to get over his high school crush? What's the moral of the story: unless you get over your high school girlfriend, you will be forced to babysit her ungrateful children, until you are eaten by a snake?

I honestly am shocked we havent all been banned yet... But i feel like this has been an enjoyable discussion.

I think JK Rowling has admitted to some "lazy" story lines that should sort of backed herself into. I dont think the Snape character is flimsy. He has loved one person his whole life. No connection to his family and one person made him feel special. When she married James, he went to the dark side because I think thats who he thought he wanted to be until he saw someone he cared about on the other side. 

I didnt really buy into the "snape is a hero" as much as JK was trying to sell but think he was one of the more deeper characters in regards to emotional complexity. 

to keep this on topic. I hope Fisher doesnt leave... Ok, now we are good. 

• Plus1 1