Do we need top 5 classes to be successful?

19 minutes ago, lo country said:

Watching OU vs Bama, we need a top 10 D to win the MNC.  IIRC, Auburn was the only one the past 18 years that won with a non top 10 D (with Cam). Hoping Frost and Co put a HUGE premium in getting our D much better.  Interesting to see if OU's uptempo O can get them back in the game 21 down in the 1st....If so, I'll come back on and eat crow. 

I think it's more that we, along with everyone else, need Saban to retire to win the MNC. That dude just isn't fair. It's like a 15 year old kid playing NCAA Football on JV difficulty.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

Watching OU vs Bama, we need a top 10 D to win the MNC.  IIRC, Auburn was the only one the past 18 years that won with a non top 10 D (with Cam). Hoping Frost and Co put a HUGE premium in getting our D much better.  Interesting to see if OU's uptempo O can get them back in the game 21 down in the 1st....If so, I'll come back on and eat crow. 

Michigan had the #1 D in college football entering today, and got smoked today.

• Plus1 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I 100% agree. Having a great D means nothing in today’s college football if the offense can’t be explosive in their own right. 

Its definitely a balance. You can have a great defense but if you don't have at least good QB play with explosive skill players at RB and WR(Diverse attack), you will struggle against teams like Bama and Clemson.

2 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

Its definitely a balance. You can have a great defense but if you don't have at least good QB play with explosive skill players at RB and WR(Diverse attack), you will struggle against teams like Bama and Clemson.

I understand that we want NU to compete for NC’s, but Bama and Clemson appear to be on a totally different level than the rest of college football right now. Maybe, that goes back to the original thought of this thread and recruiting classes. 

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand that we want NU to compete for NC’s, but Bama and Clemson appear to be on a totally different level than the rest of college football right now. Maybe, that goes back to the original thought of this thread and recruiting classes. 

Of course we do, but any practical fan knows a lot goes into even getting to that stage. Even for Bama and Clemsom, who are both obviously a cut above the rest of CFB. I think in a perfect world Nebraska could land a top 10 class i.e. loaded Midland talent, 6-8 high caliber national kids and a 5 star prospect. Top 5 would be tough. Frost said himself top 20 classes with development were his ticket. With a higher profile with an upward trajectory, top 10-15 classes are attainable imo. Development is a non-negotiable item. You just want to give yourself a legit chance at winning in Indy and being able to hang in the semifinals, letting the chips fall where they may. We got a ways to go to say the least.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

2 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Of course we do, but any practical fan knows a lot goes into even getting to that stage. Even for Bama and Clemsom, who are both obviously a cut above the rest of CFB. I think in a perfect world Nebraska could land a top 10 class i.e. loaded Midland talent, 6-8 high caliber national kids and a 5 star prospect. Top 5 would be tough. Frost said himself top 20 classes with development were his ticket. With a higher profile with an upward trajectory, top 10-15 classes are attainable imo. Development is a non-negotiable item. You just want to give yourself a legit chance at winning in Indy and being able to hang in the semifinals, letting the chips fall where they may. We got a ways to go to say the least.

I agree. I thinks it's pretty obvious we need to do better recruiting. I also think we need that D to get a lot better of we want to play for a conference or the MNC.  Bama and Clemson are at a different level.  OU with the high octane O really didnt appear much of a threat to a team with their own dynmaic playmakers and a solid D.  Offensively, I really like what our O is evolving into.  If the D could improve as well, Frost is onto to a winning combination for sure.

51 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree. I thinks it's pretty obvious we need to do better recruiting. I also think we need that D to get a lot better of we want to play for a conference or the MNC.  Bama and Clemson are at a different level.  OU with the high octane O really didnt appear much of a threat to a team with their own dynmaic playmakers and a solid D.  Offensively, I really like what our O is evolving into.  If the D could improve as well, Frost is onto to a winning combination for sure.

What I witnessed was of the worst displays of tackling fundamentals ever by a top team.  Look I understand good players but Jesus H put your head up and take the ball carrier to the ground.  4 times the Oklahoma guy was celebrating the tackle and the dude had drove over him and was still in play.  At some point you have to have people play football, I mean Bobby D is part of the staff so I understand the lack of tackling.  Some of those might have at least made the game competitive. 

9 hours ago, KingBlank said:

What I witnessed was of the worst displays of tackling fundamentals ever by a top team.  Look I understand good players but Jesus H put your head up and take the ball carrier to the ground.  4 times the Oklahoma guy was celebrating the tackle and the dude had drove over him and was still in play.  At some point you have to have people play football, I mean Bobby D is part of the staff so I understand the lack of tackling.  Some of those might have at least made the game competitive. 

Was gonna comment he same.  OU's D is pathetic.

You need the type of uber boosters Alabama has, so you can get the best players, I am talking "friends of the program" all cash goes around the U so no one there is culpable.  I am talking whatever it-takes kind of cash, meet you on the tarmac at the G6 kind of cash.  

And then you need a recruiting organization not afraid to promise the same spot to two guys.  And then you need a coach who will keep lying to a QB because he knows if he lets him go, he will be immediate all conference somewhere else.  STOP ASKING

21 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Ok playing hard defense is a penalty now.  

On 12/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, lo country said:

Partially correct and I have posted on this before.  I am in agreement that this is a must have in our future to compete for national titles AND league titles.  This year Clemson is at #4 nationally in total defense while Bama is #10.  I have a feeling Bama loses this one but the Clemson QB while good, is young.  (Syracuse game etc..)  Also, Nick Saban has yet to win a MNC with a defese ranked higher than #3 in total defense (this year so far Bama is ranked #10 in total d).  Here is the list going of teams that won the MNC since 1998 and their final total defense ranking: (stats from ncaa.org)

2017 - Alabama #1

2016 - Clemson #4

2015 - Alabama #3

2014 - Ohio State  #19

2013 - Florida State #3

2012 - Alabama #1

2011 - Alabama #1

2010 - Auburn #60

2009 - Alabama #2

2008 - Florida #9

2007 - LSU #3

2006 - Florida #6

2005 - Texas #9

2004 - USC #6

2003 - LSU (#1) / USC (#30)

2002 - Ohio State #23

2001 - Miami #6

2000 - Oklahoma #8

1999 - Florida State #19

1998 - Tennessee #17

6 teams in the last 20 years have won MNC's with a non-top 10 defense.  Most of those teams were still in the top 25-30 and had killer offenses (i.e. 14 tOSU, Auburn 2010, and 03 USC).  Auburn had Cam N. in 2010 who was a complete freak of nature (think Vince Young^2) and made up for their #60 ranking (although they did hold Oregon to 19 pts in the MNCG).

For fun here is NU's total defense for all 5 NC's:

1970 Coundnt find

1971 Couldnt find

1994 #5

1995 #13??? yikes (KSU was #1)

1997 #5

The way I see it is this:  with Frost we will always have a dynamic offense that plays up-tempo and can put up 30-40 a game easily; heck we are doing it now with only a year of recruiting.  That being said I think we need to at the very least field a top 25 defense to contend for the B1G and MNC.  Watching OU play Bama last night it was obvious why Saban has so many MNC's: he knows how to field a solid defense year in and year out (his average total defense ranking when he wins a MNC is ~1.74).  I think top 25 total d should be an easy/realizable goal for the coaching staff.  There could be unique challenges given that the defense will practice with our offense and could leave them vulnerable to power running teams/pro style offenses. For those hating on Michigan's D in their bowl game I have a suspiscion that Harbaugh is part of the problem; his seat is hot af right now.  I know Venables is an OU/KSU guy, and we got Chin..but wouldn't it be nice to poach him from Clemson???  :P Feel free to discuss.

• Plus1 2

There is a -100% chance Brent Venables will ever work at Nebraska.

Other than that, agree with all points, and I think we might get lucky with a conference championship with Chinander, but I've seen absolutely nothing to have any confidence we'd even come close to competing in the playoffs as long as he's our DC. BUT there's not a lot of data points on him yet so I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

There is a -100% chance Brent Venables will ever work at Nebraska.

Other than that, agree with all points, and I think we might get lucky with a conference championship with Chinander, but I've seen absolutely nothing to have any confidence we'd even come close to competing in the playoffs as long as he's our DC. BUT there's not a lot of data points on him yet so I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Agree with your agreements.  Venables would be a great get.  I do not see him ever leaving Clemson.  I'm not sold on Chin.  But as you said, not enough info to make a decision now.  Gotta give him time. His recruits, get soe more talent in etc...