Do we need top 5 classes to be successful?

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If anyone watched the CFP and came away thinking that Frost and Nebraska will get there and look competitive with any form of regularity recruiting classes in the mid-20', step away from the bong.

I think most people believe if we can get to 15 range we can compete at that level.  We are recruiting in the high teens right now and we are 4-8.  Let the man win some games and get his system in and who knows what can happen.  Watching the CFP games didnt change my opinion of what it takes to get there.  If it did then you probably havent watched football much over the last 4 or 5 years.  I think frost can do what dabo did at clemson.  That didnt happen overnight, but being a man of character, and a great ball coach has allowed them to compete with the dark emperor, saban

2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I think most people believe if we can get to 15 range we can compete at that level.  We are recruiting in the high teens right now and we are 4-8.  Let the man win some games and get his system in and who knows what can happen.  Watching the CFP games didnt change my opinion of what it takes to get there.  If it did then you probably havent watched football much over the last 4 or 5 years.  I think frost can do what dabo did at clemson.  That didnt happen overnight, but being a man of character, and a great ball coach has allowed them to compete with the dark emperor, saban

Dabo didn't make the a NC game or CFP until his recruiting classes were higher than 15

• Plus1 1

If memory serves, most of the non-elite recruiting teams to make the CFP since its inception (i.e. those that don't recruit a consistent top-15 to top-10 level) have been smacked pretty hard. @StPaulHusker hit the nail on the head with his last two posts.

Clemson is the "lowest" average recruiter to win a title in the CFP era but they're still at an 11.8 average over the last five years. Nebraska's absolute ceiling at this point, based solely on recruiting rankings, is a CFP appearance. But, even taking other things into account like intangibles, coaching, development, etc., the data still overwhelming suggests that honest CFP contenders have to recruit in that top 15-10 range.

• Plus1 1

Definitely gotta have Top 15 classes if you want to compete for championships. Barely cracking the Top 25 isn't gonna cut it.

That said, over the past 14 years the national champion has had multiple Top 10 classes, including at least one in the Top 5. People can say all they want that stars don't matter, but data shows otherwise. 

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If memory serves, most of the non-elite recruiting teams to make the CFP since its inception (i.e. those that don't recruit a consistent top-15 to top-10 level) have been smacked pretty hard. @StPaulHusker hit the nail on the head with his last two posts.

Clemson is the "lowest" average recruiter to win a title in the CFP era but they're still at an 11.8 average over the last five years. Nebraska's absolute ceiling at this point, based solely on recruiting rankings, is a CFP appearance. But, even taking other things into account like intangibles, coaching, development, etc., the data still overwhelming suggests that honest CFP contenders have to recruit in that top 15-10 range.

PREACH SISTA!!!

• Haha 1
On 12/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, Moiraine said:

Maybe Alabama throws cash at players, maybe they don’t.

But they don’t need to. Alabama and the surrounding states are absolutely swimming in talent, and recruits and their parents like to stay close to home.

Plus they have one of the best coaches in the history of the game who is considered a pipeline to the NFL.  

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, huskerinacaveman said:

Do we need to have a top 5 class, or classes to achieve success. 

It would certainly make it easier, but if we wait around until we get a top five class or two we could be waiting a long long time.

Play with what you got and try to get better every day and with every class and let the chips(wins) fall where they may.

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Getting the stars isn't enough if Rudy is the backup. One injury and the entire defensive gameplan goes out the window.

This is a serious question, because I don't know, and not a shot at ND after a playoff loss:

You guys usually have pretty good recruiting rankings, but is depth an issue at ND? Bunch of Rudy's on the team like Nebraska?