huskerinacaveman

Do we need top 5 classes to be successful?

21 hours ago, KingBlank said:

What I witnessed was of the worst displays of tackling fundamentals ever by a top team.  Look I understand good players but Jesus H put your head up and take the ball carrier to the ground.  4 times the Oklahoma guy was celebrating the tackle and the dude had drove over him and was still in play.  At some point you have to have people play football, I mean Bobby D is part of the staff so I understand the lack of tackling.  Some of those might have at least made the game competitive. 

Ok playing hard defense is a penalty now.  

On 12/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, lo country said:

Watching OU vs Bama, we need a top 10 D to win the MNC.  IIRC, Auburn was the only one the past 18 years that won with a non top 10 D (with Cam). Hoping Frost and Co put a HUGE premium in getting our D much better.  Interesting to see if OU's uptempo O can get them back in the game 21 down in the 1st....If so, I'll come back on and eat crow. 

Partially correct and I have posted on this before.  I am in agreement that this is a must have in our future to compete for national titles AND league titles.  This year Clemson is at #4 nationally in total defense while Bama is #10.  I have a feeling Bama loses this one but the Clemson QB while good, is young.  (Syracuse game etc..)  Also, Nick Saban has yet to win a MNC with a defese ranked higher than #3 in total defense (this year so far Bama is ranked #10 in total d).  Here is the list going of teams that won the MNC since 1998 and their final total defense ranking: (stats from ncaa.org)

2017 - Alabama #1

2016 - Clemson #4

2015 - Alabama #3

2014 - Ohio State  #19

2013 - Florida State #3

2012 - Alabama #1

2011 - Alabama #1

2010 - Auburn #60

2009 - Alabama #2

2008 - Florida #9

2007 - LSU #3

2006 - Florida #6

2005 - Texas #9

2004 - USC #6

2003 - LSU (#1) / USC (#30)

2002 - Ohio State #23

2001 - Miami #6

2000 - Oklahoma #8

1999 - Florida State #19

1998 - Tennessee #17

6 teams in the last 20 years have won MNC's with a non-top 10 defense.  Most of those teams were still in the top 25-30 and had killer offenses (i.e. 14 tOSU, Auburn 2010, and 03 USC).  Auburn had Cam N. in 2010 who was a complete freak of nature (think Vince Young^2) and made up for their #60 ranking (although they did hold Oregon to 19 pts in the MNCG).

For fun here is NU's total defense for all 5 NC's:

1970 Coundnt find

1971 Couldnt find

1994 #5

1995 #13??? yikes (KSU was #1)

1997 #5

The way I see it is this:  with Frost we will always have a dynamic offense that plays up-tempo and can put up 30-40 a game easily; heck we are doing it now with only a year of recruiting.  That being said I think we need to at the very least field a top 25 defense to contend for the B1G and MNC.  Watching OU play Bama last night it was obvious why Saban has so many MNC's: he knows how to field a solid defense year in and year out (his average total defense ranking when he wins a MNC is ~1.74).  I think top 25 total d should be an easy/realizable goal for the coaching staff.  There could be unique challenges given that the defense will practice with our offense and could leave them vulnerable to power running teams/pro style offenses. For those hating on Michigan's D in their bowl game I have a suspiscion that Harbaugh is part of the problem; his seat is hot af right now.  I know Venables is an OU/KSU guy, and we got Chin..but wouldn't it be nice to poach him from Clemson???  :P Feel free to discuss.

• Plus1 2

There is a -100% chance Brent Venables will ever work at Nebraska.

Other than that, agree with all points, and I think we might get lucky with a conference championship with Chinander, but I've seen absolutely nothing to have any confidence we'd even come close to competing in the playoffs as long as he's our DC. BUT there's not a lot of data points on him yet so I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

There is a -100% chance Brent Venables will ever work at Nebraska.

Other than that, agree with all points, and I think we might get lucky with a conference championship with Chinander, but I've seen absolutely nothing to have any confidence we'd even come close to competing in the playoffs as long as he's our DC. BUT there's not a lot of data points on him yet so I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Agree with your agreements.  Venables would be a great get.  I do not see him ever leaving Clemson.  I'm not sold on Chin.  But as you said, not enough info to make a decision now.  Gotta give him time. His recruits, get soe more talent in etc...

31 minutes ago, McGuillotine said:

We just need to be Top 5 in:

GRIT
DETERMINATION
HEART

and we will be just fine

Good luck with your team of Rudy's...

Maybe Alabama throws cash at players, maybe they don’t.

But they don’t need to. Alabama and the surrounding states are absolutely swimming in talent, and recruits and their parents like to stay close to home.

• Plus1 1

If anyone watched the CFP and came away thinking that Frost and Nebraska will get there and look competitive with any form of regularity recruiting classes in the mid-20', step away from the bong.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If anyone watched the CFP and came away thinking that Frost and Nebraska will get there and look competitive with any form of regularity recruiting classes in the mid-20', step away from the bong.

I think most people believe if we can get to 15 range we can compete at that level.  We are recruiting in the high teens right now and we are 4-8.  Let the man win some games and get his system in and who knows what can happen.  Watching the CFP games didnt change my opinion of what it takes to get there.  If it did then you probably havent watched football much over the last 4 or 5 years.  I think frost can do what dabo did at clemson.  That didnt happen overnight, but being a man of character, and a great ball coach has allowed them to compete with the dark emperor, saban

2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I think most people believe if we can get to 15 range we can compete at that level.  We are recruiting in the high teens right now and we are 4-8.  Let the man win some games and get his system in and who knows what can happen.  Watching the CFP games didnt change my opinion of what it takes to get there.  If it did then you probably havent watched football much over the last 4 or 5 years.  I think frost can do what dabo did at clemson.  That didnt happen overnight, but being a man of character, and a great ball coach has allowed them to compete with the dark emperor, saban

Dabo didn't make the a NC game or CFP until his recruiting classes were higher than 15

• Plus1 1

If memory serves, most of the non-elite recruiting teams to make the CFP since its inception (i.e. those that don't recruit a consistent top-15 to top-10 level) have been smacked pretty hard. @StPaulHusker hit the nail on the head with his last two posts.

Clemson is the "lowest" average recruiter to win a title in the CFP era but they're still at an 11.8 average over the last five years. Nebraska's absolute ceiling at this point, based solely on recruiting rankings, is a CFP appearance. But, even taking other things into account like intangibles, coaching, development, etc., the data still overwhelming suggests that honest CFP contenders have to recruit in that top 15-10 range.

• Plus1 1

Definitely gotta have Top 15 classes if you want to compete for championships. Barely cracking the Top 25 isn't gonna cut it.

That said, over the past 14 years the national champion has had multiple Top 10 classes, including at least one in the Top 5. People can say all they want that stars don't matter, but data shows otherwise. 

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If memory serves, most of the non-elite recruiting teams to make the CFP since its inception (i.e. those that don't recruit a consistent top-15 to top-10 level) have been smacked pretty hard. @StPaulHusker hit the nail on the head with his last two posts.

Clemson is the "lowest" average recruiter to win a title in the CFP era but they're still at an 11.8 average over the last five years. Nebraska's absolute ceiling at this point, based solely on recruiting rankings, is a CFP appearance. But, even taking other things into account like intangibles, coaching, development, etc., the data still overwhelming suggests that honest CFP contenders have to recruit in that top 15-10 range.

PREACH SISTA!!!

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, Moiraine said:

Maybe Alabama throws cash at players, maybe they don’t.

But they don’t need to. Alabama and the surrounding states are absolutely swimming in talent, and recruits and their parents like to stay close to home.

Plus they have one of the best coaches in the history of the game who is considered a pipeline to the NFL.  

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, huskerinacaveman said:

Do we need to have a top 5 class, or classes to achieve success. 

It would certainly make it easier, but if we wait around until we get a top five class or two we could be waiting a long long time.

Play with what you got and try to get better every day and with every class and let the chips(wins) fall where they may.

• Upvote 1