Tangent Thread - Worth of a Degree Edition

14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I don’t see how he actually got a degree, but a liberal arts degree sounds a lot like general studies. Either way, I hope he continues to work hard In whatever he chooses to do. 

a liberal arts degree from a Junior College is basically equivalent to going to high school for two more years. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Unless you are a lawyer or DR, your degree is mainly a meaningless piece of paper. An expensive pice of paper at that 

Well I disagree with this statement whole heartedly...... many higher office jobs require a business degree, you can’t teach if you don’t have the degree, nurses need a degree..... very very inaccurate statement. 

• Plus1 2

Organizations “require” a business degree to weed out candidates. There are presidents and CEOs of highly successful businesses who still don’t have bachelors degrees. Not to put words in Big Ern’s mouth, but I believe the stance he is coming from is that anybody can go on to lead a successful career in business, whereas there are few careers that require specialized training that would require an overly expensive education. Prior to No Child Left Behind, a teacher didn’t need a teaching degree.

One of the best high school teachers who taught us about auto mobiles, material science, and even life, did not have a college degree and he was invited to speak at many conferences across the nation in the field he worked in. In fact, he was interviewed and quoted by the paper asking if the lack of a teaching certificate was concern for him, his response was no, followed by a quote along the lines of “I could make a phone call and triple my salary right now, but I’m here to help kids”

A college graduate coming out with a construction management degree doesn’t know $hit compared to what a superintendent knows who started out as a carpenter. The list goes on. 

Higher education degrees are very useful, but they aren’t as meaningful as some people want  to tell themselves.  

2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Organizations “require” a business degree to weed out candidates. There are presidents and CEOs of highly successful businesses who still don’t have bachelors degrees. Not to put words in Big Ern’s mouth, but I believe the stance he is coming from is that anybody can go on to lead a successful career in business, whereas there are few careers that require specialized training that would require an overly expensive education. Prior to No Child Left Behind, a teacher didn’t need a teaching degree.

One of the best high school teachers who taught us about auto mobiles, material science, and even life, did not have a college degree and he was invited to speak at many conferences across the nation in the field he worked in. In fact, he was interviewed and quoted by the paper asking if the lack of a teaching certificate was concern for him, his response was no, followed by a quote along the lines of “I could make a phone call and triple my salary right now, but I’m here to help kids”

A college graduate coming out with a construction management degree doesn’t know $hit compared to what a superintendent knows who started out as a carpenter. The list goes on. 

Higher education degrees are very useful, but they aren’t as meaningful as some people want  to tell themselves.  

I’m not here to argue what it was like in the past.   The 70s,80s and 90s were a different story.  Modern days none of what you are saying is true.  The issue is, to build the work experience to get that ceo job, you have to have the degree. They now won’t even hire for entry level without it.  

I dont really care what it was like before no child left behind because that’s not here and now!  It’s greatbyou had a great teacher who succeeded and I applaud him, however it’s completely irrelevant to modern era.  

Tony getting a liberal arts degree is still helping him in more ways than just going straight into the workforce out of college.  End of story. 

8 hours ago, BigRedN said:

@BIG ERN,

Was is just humor to spell "piece" as "pice", or was it a mistake?  Just curious.  :-)

Someone changed it in their response, my original post has it spelled piece.....Of course I exaggerated some, but teachers?? They make around $42k on avg - people find that beneficial for going to college? I get the impact you have on kids, but let's not act like you are making great money. I guess I might be younger than most on this board, but 4/5 of the 'richest' people I know who are around my age don't have anything higher than an Associates Degree. 2 guys in mortgage sales, 1 farmer, and 1 has his own business. In fact, you can get a 2 year degree get a more entry level job at an 'office' and then have them pay to get your bachelors degree and have 2 years of work experience at that same place.