Iowa Western Center Walks On: Josh Wegener

This does not seem to be getting a lot of run, maybe because of the holidays, but Joshua Wegener, a center from Iowa Western, has decided to join the Huskers as a walk-on. He is  considered the #1 JUCO center by JCGridIron. The Huskers were in position to get the #1 JUCO OG, Desmond Bland, as well, but that sees unsettled (grades maybe).

Last off-season, there was a lot of hope that the JUCOs coming in would provide significant contributions, and only Honas provided anything of note, until an early season injury. That can provide some context to our conversations here, but I wonder how impactful these two OL JUCO players (if Bland can make it, though it seems doubtful) can be for the Huskers next season. Anyone have information about Wegener regarding his playing ability and ability to read defensive pressures?

• Plus1 1

I don't know anything about him specifically but adding the #1 Juco center to the arsenal can only be a good thing. IMO, good chance he can contribute immediately and if not, nothing lost.

BTW, wasn't somebody recently complaining in a recruiting thread that we weren't looking hard enough at Iowa Western? Not that a walk-on from there addresses that issue, but still got one.

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't know anything about him specifically but adding the #1 Juco center to the arsenal can only be a good thing. IMO, good chance he can contribute immediately and if not, nothing lost.

BTW, wasn't somebody recently complaining in a recruiting thread that we weren't looking hard enough at Iowa Western? Not that a walk-on from there addresses that issue, but still got one.

IIRC, there was an article talking about how our new coaches were the first to visit there, or the only ones from Nebraska in 10 years. Something like that.

2 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

This does not seem to be getting a lot of run, maybe because of the holidays, but Joshua Wegener, a center from Iowa Western, has decided to join the Huskers as a walk-on. He is  considered the #1 JUCO center by JCGridIron. The Huskers were in position to get the #1 JUCO OG, Desmond Bland, as well, but that sees unsettled (grades maybe).

Last off-season, there was a lot of hope that the JUCOs coming in would provide significant contributions, and only Honas provided anything of note, until an early season injury. That can provide some context to our conversations here, but I wonder how impactful these two OL JUCO players (if Bland can make it, though it seems doubtful) can be for the Huskers next season. Anyone have information about Wegener regarding his playing ability and ability to read defensive pressures?

I agree when I saw this I thought it was pretty cool.  Seems like it is a bit of a steal to snag a kid like this without needing to burn up a scholarship.  I would need to go back and look but perhaps his size or other measurable's  kept him from being a hot power 5 scholarship offer guy.  Regardless nice get by the staff.  

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If he really is the JUCO #1 C. How does he not even have a profile on 247 or any rating by the services?

From the Omaha World Herald:

"The Iowa Western offensive lineman announced Thursday on social media that he was committing to the Huskers. Rated the No. 1 junior college center by JCGridiron.com, the native of Algona, Iowa, will continue to recover from a torn ligament in his foot before arriving in Lincoln for summer conditioning."

11 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If he really is the JUCO #1 C. How does he not even have a profile on 247 or any rating by the services?

Going to assume the talent just isn’t very strong in the JUCO ranks. MOST true centers aren’t even that highly recruited out of high school. 

He committed as a walk on, it means he wants to be here and didn't bargin around for something better.  Welcome the kid and quit trying to run him down.  This kid does not appear to have had the easy path.  He does not appear to be the prima donna, if I don't get what I want I am outa here type.  Frost is looking for guts, desire to play for Nebraska.  This kid has it, we need him.  He is a freebee, never look a gift horse in the mouth.  

I realize we need 4 and 5 star players to be competitive with the elite in the nation.  We need gutty hard working kids to make the first step towards that.  I think he fits the bill

• Fire 1
41 minutes ago, skersfan said:

He committed as a walk on, it means he wants to be here and didn't bargin around for something better.  Welcome the kid and quit trying to run him down.  This kid does not appear to have had the easy path.  He does not appear to be the prima donna, if I don't get what I want I am outa here type.  Frost is looking for guts, desire to play for Nebraska.  This kid has it, we need him.  He is a freebee, never look a gift horse in the mouth.  

I realize we need 4 and 5 star players to be competitive with the elite in the nation.  We need gutty hard working kids to make the first step towards that.  I think he fits the bill

He's a real coach on the field

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the most intriguing walk on. He should be considered in the 2019 recruiting class since he received  an academic scholarship — 4.0 GPA — and most likely would had received an athletic one under any other circumstance. One service rated him the number one Juco center! He makes up for the Desmond Bland lost.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1