HB's Cream of the Crop: Contributors and Casualties --- 2019 Edition

Career Contributors  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This thread is a little premature as we have only got through the first NSD. However, we can always have Round 2 in February. The intent here is to predict who will be meaningful contributors (e.g., starters and heavily-rotated back-ups) over their careers and who will be scout team, non-contributors, and/or transferring out.

The rules are simple, you get to assign 65% of the signed recruits as "Contributors" (right now that is 15 players) and the other 35% as "Non-contributors" (8 players). Also, you can highlight only 2 players as "Day 1 Impact Players".

Make these assignments however you like, but it is probably worth considering the individual recruit's potential, need at position, and position coaches' PT philosophies (e.g., rotational like at DL or no rotations like at OL).

Okay, now, here is the historical context as to why I chose the set rules... 

Every year we pontificate about how impactful each recruit will be on the field. The truth is looking over the past decade, Nebraska has averaged 21 players in each recruiting class and only 13-14 (or 65%) of the class sees meaningful playing time in their career. There is also a lot of talk about "Day 1 starters", but again looking at the ten-year average, 2 players from each recruiting class earn significant playing time their freshman year.

Those stats do not include the 2017 and 2018 classes, as I thought it was unfair to determine their career contributions as Freshman, RS Freshman, and Sophomores. Also, with the new 4 game RS rule, what is considered "first-year contributors" may differ, so as of right now, I am considering players that burn their RS in their true freshman year and provide meaningful snaps.

661853828_plastic-cream-of-the-crop-award-trophy13606430.jpeg.7f4714684a7514126fa8218097749561.jpeg

• Plus1 1

First-year contributors

Wandale Robinson --- Lot of hype, similar to Washington coming in. I think the staff puts him out there right away to see what they got.

Jamie Nance --- Speed and good WR ability. WR is definitely a position of need to replace Morgan's production.

Career contributors

Nick Henrich --- Great year for in-state talent, and he is at the top. Give him a year or so in the weight room.

Bryce Benhart --- Didn't put him as a 1st-year contributor given his position, but an argument could easily be made.

Ty Robinson --- This is the type of big-sized athlete you want on the DL.

Rahmir Johnson --- Unheralded because of Wandale, but I love his running style. Really, he checks all the boxes (speed, good cuts, vision, toughness, character)

Jackson Hannah --- Hit-stick, Big Ten style LB

Chris Hickman --- Very athletic. Needs size.

Quinton Newsome --- Outstanding film

Garrett Nelson --- Motor. Someone that makes coaches put him on the field.

Javin Wright --- Good size for a CB. Like physically. Good speed (long-strider, not a lot of burst)

Brant Banks --- Someone you let set the strong-side edge.

Ethan Piper --- Honestly, not sure whether he plays NT or OG. Athletic and could develop the size for either.

Matthew Anderson --- Taking a gamble here same as the staff. Really like his frame and athleticism

Jimmy Fritzche --- Same as Anderson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-contributors

Luke McCaffrey --- Great athlete but may get recruited over at QB. Hate to say that.

Darian Chase --- Needs some development and last year did not prove to me that WR will get enough.

Ronald Thompkins --- Injury history.

Mosai Newsom --- Could be a sleeper but needs a lot of time to develop. If the team starts winning at a high clip, he could get recruited over.

Jamin Graham --- Special teams probably.

Garret Snodgrass ---- Another special teams guy.

Michael Lynn --- We have three OL projects in this class. Clearly intentional by the staff, but not all projects work out.

Myles Farmer --- See him similar to Newsome, but I like Newsome's film better.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Sorry, I'm not going to pencil-in anyone as a "non-contributor" before they arrive on campus.  That's just not right.  What if the recruits read this stuff?  

Fair point. Still, why make a "Super Six" or use a star-rating system? This is about talent evaluation, which is strictly prognostication.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Genuinely thought this was going to be about ranking Huskerboard board members and their contributions. 

Oh, that is next...:lol:

• Haha 1

Contributors
Nick Henrich - Big time get

Wandale Robinson - Between his ability and lack of guys ahead of him, I think he's a lock for a DAY 1 IMPACT PLAYER

Bryce Benhart - Will push for playing time next year - I could see him start at RT and Farniok move inside

Ty Robinson - Big time get

Rahmir Johnson - I like speed

Darien Chase - Speed to burn and receiver room is open

Jackson Hannah - Great pair with Henrich for years to come

Jamie Nance - Same as Chase

Chris Hickman - Might have to wait his turn but has potential

Quinton Newsome - DBs need some help

Mosai Newsom - Might be a steal

Garrett Nelson - Monster motor

Michael Lynn - Probably moves to the interior but will be solid there

Matthew Anderson - Comes through as a solid OT

Jimmy Fritzche - Frost's projection works out

Non-Contributors

Luke McCaffrey - Kind of hate this take as I think he's a great athlete.  But QB is a tough spot to hit at, especially when you're on the heels of an established starter

Ronald Thompkins - Really like him but major injuries to both knees make me wonder

Myles Farmer - Probably some special teams but maybe not an every down guy

Jamin Graham - Same as Farmer

Javin Wright - Maybe too much of a tweener to find a big role

Garret Snodgrass - Not sure he's quite enough of a top-shelf athlete

Brant Banks - DL is crowded in this class

Ethan Piper - Same as Banks

I think either Benhart or Robinson could be my other IMPACT PLAYER but I hate picking a true freshman lineman to do that.  So I don't know who I'd pick as my other selection.  Nance or Chase probably (based on lack of people ahead of them) so I'll go with Chase.

• Plus1 1

Its tough for me because I like other guys in this class too. Hopefully Frost evaluates talent better than we have in the past and can hit on closer to 75-80% of prospects.

For one example, I think Frost will get much more out of multiple skill guys than we have in the past. I like Ramhir Johnson and Darrien Chase and I think they will both end up contributing simply due to our offense having more touches, yards and TDs to go around. 

37 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its tough for me because I like other guys in this class too. Hopefully Frost evaluates talent better than we have in the past and can hit on closer to 75-80% of prospects.

Same. I was looking for national averages for contributors from each recruiting class. However, I could not find the stats, so I focused only on Nebraska's history. I wonder what the national average is?

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Same. I was looking for national averages for contributors from each recruiting class. However, I could not find the stats, so I focused only on Nebraska's history. I wonder what the national average is?

I edited my post to really clarify where I think Frost will get better return. I'll try to do a bit of research on a top team like Alabama.

46 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Luke M will contribute.  It just might not be at QB.

I was going to vote for this as well but I thought that might be cheating.  :D

If he's set on playing QB, the odds are against him.  Not that it won't happen, that's just how it goes for college QBs.  But if he'd be willing to look at a Duck-R type spot, he'll find the field one way or the other.