The BIG in Bowls

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Meh, I don't care about how the conference does in bowls.  I have barely watched any bowls this season anyway.

National perceptions help rankings, recruitment, and give committees NODs when choosing teams for post season games. 

Loving NU should mean rooting for the BIG to sweep bowl seasons. Heck, even in the regular season I want every team we play to be undefeated when it’s our turn, similar to ‘95 when we beat CU, KSU, KU and they each rolled in their bowls. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I like college football, but I’m a Nebraska fan more than anything else. I just want to worry about NU’s successes before thinking about the rest of the conference. I understand the Big Ten teams have an indirect correlation to NU’s successes, but I will never “root for the conference”. The fact that the SEC teams and fans do that is one of the lamest things out there. 

I wouldn't say I root for B1G teams in non-con or bowl games but I do like to see them do well for the simple fact it can only make NU look better than if they're losing those games. Plus I can't lose. If they win-good, if they lose, I can still take pleasure in them getting beat. I mean who doesn't get a little satisfaction from seeing tOSU or Michigan (or any of them) getting curb stomped?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

National perceptions help rankings, recruitment, and give committees NODs when choosing teams for post season games. 

Loving NU should mean rooting for the BIG to sweep bowl seasons. Heck, even in the regular season I want every team we play to be undefeated when it’s our turn, similar to ‘95 when we beat CU, KSU, KU and they each rolled in their bowls. 

NU is competing with conference teams for many of the same recruits. I want those conference teams to be as bad as possible, so those recruits choose NU and not NU’s opponents.

As far as national perception, as long as NU wins, that will take care of the national perception. I don’t want NU to have to depend on help from their conference breathren. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU is competing with conference teams for many of the same recruits. I want those conference teams to be as bad as possible, so those recruits choose NU and not NU’s opponents.

As far as national perception, as long as NU wins, that will take care of the national perception. I don’t want NU to have to depend on help from their conference breathren. 

Agree 100%.  I'm tired of this "root for your conference" crap.   I want NU to be dominant.  When we get there, maybe I'll root for the conference, but I doubt it.  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I see a differentiated culture when it comes to Frost and Co. OSU is losing their HC (they’ll still be very relevant though), Harbaugh and Frost are night and day differences; Franklin and PSU may be as close I’ve seen for culture as means, history to NU. 

With only four in the playoff hunt option right now, it’s not just about going 11-1. I want the nation to believe the BIG is SEC tier and we dominate. 

We we can agree to disagree, but if NU can beat 3-5 top 15 teams a year in a conference winning 80% of its bowls, you have a hard time not pulling recruits. 

I know we’re far from best ever talk, but a huge reason ‘95 is at the top is we beat 4 teams in the top 10 that year. Three of the four destroyed their bowl opponents; the fourth won it all the following year. This reality shapes opinion on how dominant this team was...not just a box score.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1