The BIG in Bowls

I hope the B1G does well all season and in bowls. And hope we win all our B1G games. I don’t necessarily “root” for the other teams but I hope they do well for perception. 

Players not playing in ONE last game baffles me. Why not play all the games you can?? You only get so many in your life...

• Fire 1

How can you root for Harbaugh?  How?  Didn't like Urban either, but Harbaugh is even more a buttonhole acting guy.  Wins the games he should, and doesn't compete against the Top 10.  NFL bound at some point.  Yes, the bowl games do reflect on some aspects of recruiting, but more or less recruits have already been declared and next years crop probably doesn't care about how the Big 10 looks.  These kids today care about how they will look in a certain teams uniform and system.

One thing that the Big 10 has is tradition.  Kids still grow up wanting to play for there home grown teams.  That won't ever change.  Poor bowl game showings won't hurt that.

Bowl season isn't what it was thats for sure.  Players not playing, and some teams just don't care even if they are at a bowl game anymore.

Take your top 16 teams, and put them in bowl games, and thats the start of playoff season.  

Rose, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar, Holiday, ETC.  Each bowl game will have tradition.  Rose would have Big 10/ Pac 12, ETC.

So simple.  Yet so difficult.  

9 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Bowl season isn't what it was thats for sure.  Players not playing, and some teams just don't care even if they are at a bowl game anymore.

Take your top 16 teams, and put them in bowl games, and thats the start of playoff season.  

Rose, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar, Holiday, ETC.  Each bowl game will have tradition.  Rose would have Big 10/ Pac 12, ETC.

When did bowl season ever really matter outside of a few good matchups? Think you’ve got some rose colored shades remembering all the big games we were in. In reality, I’m sure you paid attention to maybe a handful of other bowl games each year, outside of the Nebraska matchup.  Seems to be the same scenario today just were not in a bowl so it’s lackluster.

16 is way too much... you start getting into 3,4,5 loss territory. Way too diluted.  You also are going back to archaic times by guaranteeing which conferences play one another. That’s a disaster waiting to happen as the matchups aren’t based off actual seeding of teams but rather conference affiliations into games that were dictated 100 years ago to simplify travel back in the day... no thanks 

11 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

This can't work - there are only 14 SEC teams to fill in the bracket  You think they will let 2 non-SEC teams in?

23 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

How can you root for Harbaugh?  How?  Didn't like Urban either, but Harbaugh is even more a buttonhole acting guy.  Wins the games he should, and doesn't compete against the Top 10.  NFL bound at some point.  Yes, the bowl games do reflect on some aspects of recruiting, but more or less recruits have already been declared and next years crop probably doesn't care about how the Big 10 looks.  These kids today care about how they will look in a certain teams uniform and system.

One thing that the Big 10 has is tradition.  Kids still grow up wanting to play for there home grown teams.  That won't ever change.  Poor bowl game showings won't hurt that.

I root for every team NU plays or will play.  When those teams are clobbering others, it makes NU's wins against them more weighty...which in turn gives NU a potential nod when choosing what teams play where in a post season.

39 minutes ago, I am I said:

Players not playing in ONE last game baffles me. Why not play all the games you can?? You only get so many in your life...

I'm baffled at how it can baffle you. I'm also surprised more players didn't do it before. They're skipping one meaningless game to avoid the chance of missing out on millions of dollars by getting injured.

• Fire 1
42 minutes ago, I am I said:

I hope the B1G does well all season and in bowls. And hope we win all our B1G games. I don’t necessarily “root” for the other teams but I hope they do well for perception. 

If you are assured of playing in the NFL, I get why a player wouldn’t play in the bowl game. That LB (Smith) for Notre Dame who had a bad injury in his bowl game and went from a top 5 pick to a 2nd rounder and missing a full year is the poster child of why guys are skipping the bowl game. 

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm baffled at how it can baffle you. I'm also surprised more players didn't do it before. They're skipping one meaningless game to avoid the chance of missing out on millions of dollars by getting injured.

If this is the case, then maybe the bowls need to go away.