Huskers Fighting Big Trend

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Tom never lied and bailed like Saban did at Mia when the going got tough.

Greatest of all time? To me when he lines up against Dabo, Saban isn't even the best coach in the stadium.  And I know what happens when he lines up against TO.  We've seen that already.  Go ahead, let the excuse making start.

Tom didn't lie or bail, but he did interview with conference rival Colorado in 1978, when he didn't think he was appreciated enough at Nebraska. 

Also, are you aware of the three coaches who preceded Saban at Alabama? It certainly helps to have a blueblood legacy, but there's no denying that Saban turned the program around and made it an unprecedented dynasty by any standard. If Alabama has an unfair recruiting advantage, it's because Saban built it. 

If we're talking about head to head coaching, Tom Osborne would forever be relegated behind Barry Switzer, and I'm guessing you wouldn't like that. 

It's okay to hate Nick Saban. But if you're defining greatness by dominance and influence, I just don't see the argument against him. 

• Plus1 2

There is no individual state or university that has more passionate fans than Husker Nation.

But what about a region? What region of America loves college ball the most? Where does college ball define people the most?

Consider the following regions (in alphabetical order):
Deep South (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi)
Far West (everything west of the Rockies)
Mid-Atlantic (generally, due east of legacy Big Ten country)
Northeast USA
Plains States (Oklahoma north to Dakotas)
Rockies
Rust Belt (legacy Big Ten country)
Southeast USA (everything south of Nashville and east of Mississippi)

Which region has the most passionate fans? Where does college ball define a region the most? Here’s one take on how they rank...

1. (Tie) DEEP SOUTH - Embedded regional culture to live and die with college football. Big part of family and community life and culture.
1. (Tie) SOUTHEAST USA - not much to be said here. The Southeast is the powerhouse of college football at every level now and won’t give that up easily.

3. RUST BELT - Decades ago, Big Ten WAS the identity of national major college ball. Along with Notre Dame. It was the Rust Belt, tough kid, cold weather, Michigan, Ohio, Western Penn
three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust sport. But the Rust Belt had a lot of its mojo taken away years ago. Slips from #1 to #3. Now includes Huskers in this region as now part of Big Ten.

4. ROCKIES - New Mexico to Canada region has never been a strong national factor in major college ball. But Utah and Colorado give the area some flavor.

5. NORTHEAST USA - Boston, New York City, Philly etc. are more basketball hotbeds than football. Big cities in general are not hotbeds for college sports with pro teams getting the most loyal fans.

6. FAR WEST - Except for a couple limited hot spots (like USC, Oregon), college football in most of this large region is mostly on the periphery for most people. Too many other things to do and not deep in the culture.

7. MID-ATLANTIC - not a dominant region winning championships or as part of overall culture. Never will be. Washington DC and environs always have much bigger games to play.

8. PLAINS STATES - With Huskers now in Big Ten and Oklahoma more of a Southern team, Plains area suffers along with the smaller population. Dakotas have state passion at that level.
Kansas not a football school.

Bottom line... the most passionate region for major college football moved from where sat for many years in yesterday’s Rust Belt Big Ten region and moved down to the Deep South and Southeast USA. Great talent pool there that likes to stay home. Teams like UCF and Alabama Birmingham moved up fast nationally along with those SEC powerhouses.

Young talent WILL go anywhere they think they can thrive. But the strong regional identity that goes with your home region will pull the most talent over time. This is something the Huskers must overcome in order to return to national prominence all on their own.

Did anybody start planting those palm trees in Lincoln yet?

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Tom didn't lie or bail, but he did interview with conference rival Colorado in 1978, when he didn't think he was appreciated enough at Nebraska. 

Also, are you aware of the three coaches who preceded Saban at Alabama? It certainly helps to have a blueblood legacy, but there's no denying that Saban turned the program around and made it an unprecedented dynasty by any standard. If Alabama has an unfair recruiting advantage, it's because Saban built it. 

If we're talking about head to head coaching, Tom Osborne would forever be relegated behind Barry Switzer, and I'm guessing you wouldn't like that. 

It's okay to hate Nick Saban. But if you're defining greatness by dominance and influence, I just don't see the argument against him. 

Look Saban didn't meet himself at the airport with 5 million dollars.  The Alabama organization did that.  And that same crew is getting the best players year after year for Saban.   And the best facilities.  And the best assistants.

Tom Osborne did more with less.  He never quit or bailed.  I think there are several HC in history ahead of Nick Saban.  He has a machine and it is rolling.  But Nick is a guy who will only go where he has the best chance of winning.  He hasn't proven himself through adversity to me enough to be the GOAT.  You can't ignore the contributing factors to his success.  When Bama takes the field they have the best guys.  Then they win, shocker.  If Marvin Lewis showed up with the Bengals to Tuscaloosa and beat the Tide by 29 pts, is Marvin Lewis a better coach than Nick Saban?  By your definition, yes he is.

Again, I go for character and Saban is lacking, though he is "the best winner money can buy" and also "the richest member of the liars club"- Pat Forde

If you haven't read this you should:  it shows that in his attack on 

Maria Taylor (yelling at her , telling her how to do her job) he hasn't grown up or changed in 12 years.

"Nick Saban Only Lied When His Lips Were Moving"- ESPN

http://www.espn.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2718798

Tom Osborne

Career Record: 25 Years, 255-49-3, .836 Win%

Nick Saban

Career Record: 23 Years, 237-62-1, .792 Win%

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Tom never once embarassed any of us the way Nick embarrased himself by yelling at that female reporter like he was a fifth grader. 

Greatest of all time? To me when he lines up against Dabo, Saban isn't even the best coach in the stadium. 

Like Osborne often wasn't the best coach in the stadium when he lined up against Switzer?

And I know what happens when he lines up against TO.  We've seen that already.  Go ahead, let the excuse making start.

Sure if you want to equally compare a first year head coach at a nothing, no history program going up against a coach in his 23rd season of building a giant elite machine. Then yeah, okay, whatever, Tom Osborne beat him once.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Tom Osborne did more with less. 

Actually, comparatively, at least in the first 4-6 years or so of their respective careers, Tom did less with more. He took over a program that was already an elite dynasty and kept it rolling along at a somewhat lower level. Saban took over a dumpster fire and turned it into a juggernaut. Two different times, actually.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

But Nick is a guy who will only go where he has the best chance of winning.  He hasn't proven himself through adversity to me enough to be the GOAT. 

When did Tom Osborne coach somewhere he didn't have a great chance of winning almost every single game? What adversity did he ever coach through with a lack of advantages? The answer is none.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

If Marvin Lewis showed up with the Bengals to Tuscaloosa and beat the Tide by 29 pts, is Marvin Lewis a better coach than Nick Saban?  By your definition, yes he is.

lol I think you're the one that's actually using that sort of simplistic definition. I am not.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Tom Osborne

Career Record: 25 Years, 255-49-3, .836 Win%

Nick Saban

Career Record: 23 Years, 237-62-1, .792 Win%

Tom Osborne career record coaching at a blue blood program - 25 years, 255-49-3, .836 Win% - 13 conference championships (one every 1.92 years average), 3 national championships (one every 8.33 years average)

Nick Saban career record coaching at a blue blood program - 12 years, 141-20, .876 Win% - 6 conference championships (one every 2 years average), 5 national championships (one every 2.4 years average) 

If Bama wins the championship Monday, they'll have gone 68-5 with three championships over the last 5 years. Pretty on par with the best run in the history of football when we went 60-3 with three championships. Except he did that right after going 60-7 with three more championships the 5 years before that.

• Plus1 5

Fastest Coach to 250 wins in Div. 1 A history:   Saban   No    Osborne   Yes

Teams never won less than 9 wins in 25 years   Saban  No   Osborne   Yes

Teams ranked in top 15, 24 out of 25 years  Saban No  Osborne  Yes

Coached as HC or coordinator in 8 National Championship Games.  Saban No  Osborne Yes.

Called the plays while winning 5 NC games  Saban No   Osborne Yes

13 Conference Championships

Saban No   Osborne Yes

Developed many players through an extensive walk on program  Saban No  Osborne Yes.

In so many ways Osborne is more than a peer of Saban's.  I also think Bobby Bowden was a better HC than Nick Saban.  I would have thrown Paterno in there, but not now.  

I will never agree with people who give Saban the GOAT title without taking into account where he did it.  

It is like saying Kobe was better than Jordan because he was a better scorer....NOPE!

• Plus1 1

That's the most selectively biased list of things I've probably ever seen in my life. Especially because Saban hasn't even coached for 25 years :lol: Anyone can play that pointless game.

Averaged 11.75 wins a season: Saban at Bama - Yes / Osborne at Nebraska - No

Teams ranked in top 10 90% of the time: Saban at Bama - Yes / Osborne at Nebraska - No

Won 6 National Championships as a head coach: Saban at Bama - Yes / Osborne at Nebraska - No

Won 8 Conference Championship games: Saban - Yes / Osborne - No

Won 12 Conference Divisional Titles: Saban - Yes / Osborne - No

Won 14 Coach of the Year Awards: Saban - Yes / Osborne - No

Turned Around Two Mediocore/Poor Programs and Made Them Elite: Saban - Yes / Osborne - No

Developed a massive and prestigious coaching tree: Saban - Yes / Osborne - No

Despite that being perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever engaged in, and none of those things really mattering, your whole, "Saban isn't the best because he did it at ALABAMA" thing just makes no damn sense when you turn around and talk about how Osborne is so much better. Osborne didn't have to build anything. He inherited the keys to maybe the most well oiled machine in the whole country. He was never not the head coach of an elite program. He never had to rise through the ranks of smaller, disadvantaged schools. He was the head guy at the school that invented strength and conditioning and had a competitive edge over almost everyone.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

That's the most selectively biased list of things I've probably ever seen in my life. Especially because Saban hasn't even coached for 25 years :lol: Anyone can play that pointless game.

Teams ranked in top 10 90% of the time: Saban at Bama - Yes / Osborne at Nebraska - No

Won 6 National Championships as a head coach: Saban at Bama - Yes / Osborne at Nebraska - No

Turned Around Two Mediocore/Poor Programs and Made Them Elite: Saban - Yes / Osborne - No

Despite that being perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever engaged in, and none of those things really mattering, your whole, "Saban isn't the best because he did it at ALABAMA" thing just makes no damn sense when you turn around and talk about how Osborne is so much better. Osborne didn't have to build anything. He inherited the keys to maybe the most well oiled machine in the whole country. He was never not the head coach of an elite program. He never had to rise through the ranks of smaller, disadvantaged schools. He was the head guy at the school that invented strength and conditioning and had a competitive edge over almost everyone.

I hate Alabama and the SEC bias is real.  That said, I am afraid you are spot on for each point that you make here.  

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Is Saban the G O A T, maybe. I still think what Tom did for Nebraska has him in the mix. 

One thing I think you might have forgot is, Tom is the one who Devaney handed the keys to, and told him fix the offense. I don't think Devaney wins two NC, without Tom at his side.

Sure he interviewed with Col in 78, the alum were calling for his head. Let Saban lose to Auburn like Tom did with Okl early on, and we will see the same thing there.

I remember reading Tom spreading his raises out to his asst coaches in some years when they weren't getting them, don't know that many other coaches do that. Granted now days some of them make more than Tom ever did. 

We had one of the elite coaches and gentlemen to ever coach the game, I'll hang my hat with Tom....jmo

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Thank you for your opinion.

My points are not summed up so easily as that, but other than to say Nebraska was elite BECAUSE of Dr. Tom, I have nothing further to hash on this.

• Haha 1