Huskers Fighting Big Trend

2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Oh man, like I am done here but I have somewhere between 62-24 points I could make right now about TO and just to have mercy on Saban and fans,  I am holding back, cause it's late in the game.

Your argument won't carry any water outside of Nebraska, and savvy Husker fans are willing to give Saban his due. So yeah, you're done here. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In 1997, people were talking about Nebraska like they talk about Alabama today. The good and the bad.

I remember a coworker said he hoped Tennessee would win.  I think he forgot that I was from Nebraska but he was tired of the same team winning it.  I regaled him with tales of disappointments from the previous 25 years but he wasn't swayed.  

• Plus1 1

WE humans are a fickle bunch.  Alabama is a dynasty job if you can recruit and win.  Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings and Saban are the guys to win titles at Bama.  In between each of those guys, they have hired and fired alot of want to be's!  Kind of like what we have been doing for a few years now!  As soon as SAban retires from Bama, it won't have the luster it now has.  He can recruit.  He doesn't have to call plays on offense.  I am pretty sure his main area of concern is the defense.  His defenses are elite each and every year, and they have replaced many D-C's.  Osbourne coached among the games legends.  Paterno, Switzer, Bryant, Woody, BO, Bowden, and more.  Who is considered elite now?  Meyer, DAbo and Saban!  Urban can't stand the heat in the kitchen longer than a few years at a time, and takes off and hides for a while.

Its more about era, than being greatest of all time.  Saban has been the greatest in the 2000's.  Osbourne was best in the 90's.  Switzer was most likely the best in the 80's.  Who now would any of us consider to be legends or legends in the making?  Saban, Meyer, and Dabo sums up that list doesn't it?  The game isn't what it was.  Coaches are not what they were.  Coaches get fired in 3 years if they are not winning conference titles.  

21 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also in my opinion- one could argue it is easier in todays college football to sustain success than it used to be. In today's information access all these teams have access and film and ratings to help assist in finding every kid in the ENTIRE country who has talent. All these kids are inundated with Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson in the media non-stop. Making them all want to go there. Get their taste of the success. 

Interesting. Typically, we hear how technology advancements and the modern era have made it more difficult to sustain success. More access and information means less kids are slipping through the cracks and they're finding more opportunities at schools they wouldn't have considered 20-30 years ago.

As with all the things, the truth is probably somewhere between both viewpoints. I would argue the modern era certainly helps some teams (like Alabama) sustain success while it has had more of a negative impact on other teams like Nebraska.

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Your argument won't carry any water outside of Nebraska, and savvy Husker fans are willing to give Saban his due. So yeah, you're done here. 

Really?  I think TO is pretty well respected in CFB, you know had a vote on the Committee and all.  Critical or non-group think tends to anger the lemmings.  I am OK with that.  Doesn't mean that I am wrong.  99% of the country according to ESPN.com  thought that Chad Henne and the Wolverines were going to smash NU in 2005.  And of course they were right, werent they.  Maybe insread of spending timepatronizing me, unsuccessfully, you should do some critical thinking of your own.  Maybe ask yourself if you are OK inside with the rather shallow definition of GOAT as being the one who wins the most RIGHT NOW regardless of professional conduct and the circumstances.  

8 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Really?  I think TO is pretty well respected in CFB, you know had a vote on the Committee and all.  Critical or non-group think tends to anger the lemmings.  I am OK with that.  Doesn't mean that I am wrong.  99% of the country according to ESPN.com  thought that Chad Henne and the Wolverines were going to smash NU in 2005.  And of course they were right, werent they.  Maybe insread of spending timepatronizing me, unsuccessfully, you should do some critical thinking of your own.  Maybe ask yourself if you are OK inside with the rather shallow definition of GOAT as being the one who wins the most RIGHT NOW regardless of professional conduct and the circumstances.  

If I interpret this post correctly: the 2005 Alamo Bowl is evidence that Osborne is a better coach than Saban, because of critical thinking. Giddyup! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Critical or non-group think tends to anger the lemmings. 

You're a Nebraska fan on a Nebraska messageboard arguing with other Nebraska fans that Tom Osborne, a former Nebraska head coach, is a better all time coach than Nick Saban.

Do you know what group think is? Because I'm not sure you understand which side of that argument is the one with the ability to think critically or be outside the 'group'.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

You're a Nebraska fan on a Nebraska messageboard arguing with other Nebraska fans that Tom Osborne, a former Nebraska head coach, is a better all time coach than Nick Saban.

Do you know what group think is? Because I'm not sure you understand which side of that argument is the one with the ability to think critically or be outside the 'group'.

More specifically that there is a possibility that NS is not the GOAT.  Also one thing apparently some folks need to understand is the courtesy of conducting the debate on the merits, not taking that as some kind of personal attack.  Refute the message, not the messenger, if you will. 

3 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Also one thing apparently some folks need to understand is the courtesy of conducting the debate on the merits, not taking that as some kind of personal attack.  Refute the message, not the messenger, if you will. 

Which people are you referring to? The person who referred to others who disagreed with them as angry lemmings who can't think critically? Or some others?

• Plus1 1
Just now, dvdcrr said:

How is that relevant to the thread?

It's got to at least be as relevant to this thread as 75% of your arguments are towards who the best college football coach of all time is.

it's just interesting that you levied a vague non-specific criticism that some people in the discussion are resorting to ad hominem attacks, when as far as I can see you're the only one in here that's done something along the lines of referring to others as angry little rodents.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's got to at least be as relevant to this thread as 75% of your arguments are towards who the best college football coach of all time is.

it's just interesting that you levied a vague non-specific criticism that some people in the discussion are resorting to ad hominem attacks, when as far as I can see you're the only one in here that's done something along the lines of referring to others as angry little rodents.

You think calling into question whether a poster understands basic concepts such as 'group think' is in no way personal? Or telling someone "yeah you're done."  Again debate the idea not the person.  Just because your specialty is passive aggression, please do not expect every Joe you run into to be unable to respond to it.

If Dabo beats NS Monday night, wiil you be so convinced?

1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

You think calling into question whether a poster understands basic concepts such as 'group think' is in no way personal? Or telling someone "yeah you're done."  Again debate the idea not the person.  Just because your specialty is passive aggression, please do not expect every Joe you run into to be unable to respond to it.

Guy said "yeah you're done" in direct response to you saying "I am done here" :dunno

• Plus1 1