Huskers Fighting Big Trend

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Guy said "yeah you're done" in direct response to you saying "I am done here" :dunno

Like objectively speaking,  I can see why many would ordain Nick Saban.  I just wonder about that though.  There is something a little odd the way it is always Clemson Alabama, Clemson Alabama, almost every year.  I think Saban is an adept program leader, even if emotionally immature, and impolite.  And Dabo is a great leader as well.  But there really is something systemic here allowing these two schools (almost exclusively) to field the best talent.  That is the asterisk to me behind Saban's name.  

To quote your GOAT:  "QUIT ASKING!!"

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24552248

One of the best threads I've read.  .. Okay, so I've only read two, but still.   :D

No, nice to see a bit of research and knowledge and a lot of laughs.  I can only offer that the past five years is only the past five years.  Not a very long sample to declare a "warm weather prejudice" thingy.  

On 1/1/2019 at 1:22 AM, dvdcrr said:

If Saban were to go back to a school like Mich. St  and win two NC in a row or 2 in 3 years I would be convinced.  You win a bunch of titles at Alabama where 275 lb blue chip linemen are falling out of the wax myrtle and lob lollies.  Kind of waters it down for me.  I see a super focused man who throws tantrums.  Definitely gets results or you are fired.  But I see assistants calling his plays.  I see boosters and full staff ensuring the cupboard is stacked.  

No Saban is not the best of all time to me.  Has more to prove.  

I guess it would be like saying a certain race car driver is the best knowing he always had the fastest motor, and best pit crew.  Take that same coach and put him at Iowa.  Win 2 titles there, I am turning around.

Alabama's record from 2000 til Saban got there: 3-8, 7-5, 4-9, 6-6, 10-2, 6-7. Man, you're right, they were such a powerhouse before Saban got there!  He's also lost numerous coordinators but their ghosts must still be there since they're always doing the work.  I mean, it's not a talent to keep finding coordinaters who are good to replace the other.  I also forgot that Osborne was a saint, I mean it's not like he hid a gun for his player or wanted professors to change grades so football players would be eligible.  Regardless, Saban is the best head coach of all time imo but Osborne is right after him.

An under-appreciated aspect of Saban's coaching career has been his ability to maintain consistency across multiple staff changes, especially when you take into account a lot of coaching 'misfits' who have gone there to reinvigorate their career (i.e. Sarkisian and Kiffen). It's nothing short of remarkable. 

You can't go wrong with either coach, obviously. Saban will likely go down as the 'best ever' simply because of the hardware and recruiting successes. But, I think T.O. did more with less, and Saban has yet to produce a team that gets thrown out there for consideration as one of the greatest of all time. This year is really the first team worthy of that discussion.

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

An under-appreciated aspect of Saban's coaching career has been his ability to maintain consistency across multiple staff changes, especially when you take into account a lot of coaching 'misfits' who have gone there to reinvigorate their career (i.e. Sarkisian and Kiffen). It's nothing short of remarkable. 

You can't go wrong with either coach, obviously. Saban will likely go down as the 'best ever' simply because of the hardware and recruiting successes. But, I think T.O. did more with less, and Saban has yet to produce a team that gets thrown out there for consideration as one of the greatest of all time. This year is really the first team worthy of that discussion.

I am sure ESPN would love to jump on the best ever conversation. I remember the ESPN nerds on tv hyping 2005 USC as the best ever the whole season. Then they lost in the national championship to Texas. Then they changed their mind and said maybe 2004 USC is one of the best ever. 

Warm Team vs. Cold Team 2018 BOWL GAMES TALLY

Warm (or Warmer) Team Beats Cold Team = 12 Times

Alabama over Oklahoma
Alabama Birmingham over Northern Illinois
Auburn over Purdue
Baylor over Vanderbilt
Clemson over Notre Dame
Duke over Temple
Florida over Michigan
FIU over Toledo
Georgia Southern over Eastern Michigan
Stanford over Pittsburgh