Huskers Fighting Big Trend

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not saying 05 was not great. But to dub them greatest of all time all season then you don’t even win the natty just doesn’t age well. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. If your best of all time or want considered you don’t lose the natty game. That’s all I’m saying 

Understood.  But the game tonight has a much different feel than '05.  USC wins 8 of 10 against that '05 UT team.  38-26, with a terrible turnover, in the 4th?  And they blow it...

While warm weather teams have dominated college football for some time now, that doesn’t mean things aren’t shifting around. Things always will.

Evidenced last night, when a presumed Best Of All Time coach was soundly defeated by a fellow Warm Weather program and an opponent that was determined to knock The Roll Tides off their mighty high perch.

The Tide will not go away. They will continue to attract upper-level talent from the pool of young stars who for the time being will gravitate to a famous coach and a big name program. But that coach doesn’t look as invincible as he did a few days ago and that big name school is not the new champion they felt entitled to be. Does that big name coach now feel more attracted to the NFL since the college titles may not be as easily forthcoming? That’s for him to decide.

In any event, these events are good for the Huskers. They know what it is to be the Best College Program in the World. They also know how much it hurts to fall off that high perch. And how hard it can be to get back up there. Just ask teams like USC and Notre Dame and Tennessee and others how hard it is to claim the Top Spot after so many years of trying and failing. They know the feeling.

Success is promised to no one. Hard work, a good plan, and some fortunate luck is the recipe. The Tide have had it for a while. Now it’s someone else’s turn.

And we watch the tide rising in the Land of Corn.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

While warm weather teams have dominated college football for some time now, that doesn’t mean things aren’t shifting around. Things always will.

Evidenced last night, when a presumed Best Of All Time coach was soundly defeated by a fellow Warm Weather program and an opponent that was determined to knock The Roll Tides off their mighty high perch.

The Tide will not go away. They will continue to attract upper-level talent from the pool of young stars who for the time being will gravitate to a famous coach and a big name program. But that coach doesn’t look as invincible as he did a few days ago and that big name school is not the new champion they felt entitled to be. Does that big name coach now feel more attracted to the NFL since the college titles may not be as easily forthcoming? That’s for him to decide.

In any event, these events are good for the Huskers. They know what it is to be the Best College Program in the World. They also know how much it hurts to fall off that high perch. And how hard it can be to get back up there. Just ask teams like USC and Notre Dame and Tennessee and others how hard it is to claim the Top Spot after so many years of trying and failing. They know the feeling.

Success is promised to no one. Hard work, a good plan, and some fortunate luck is the recipe. The Tide have had it for a while. Now it’s someone else’s turn.

And we watch the tide rising in the Land of Corn.

It’s great to read a post from someone not drinking the “you don’t have a chance unless your from the south kool aide” 

• Plus1 1

WHOA NELLIE!  I guess the GOAT got took behind da woodshed!

The Oregonian:  "Alabamas failing grade vs. Clemson came via COACHING" (emphasis added)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/01/canzano-alabamas-failing-grade-vs-clemson-came-via-coaching.html%3foutputType=amp

dvdcrr

Posted Jan. 1

Greatest of all time? To me when he lines up against Dabo, Saban isn't even the best coach in the stadium

I mean, I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin!

2018-19 is now in the books. As said before, since 2003 only one cold weather team has won a national title: Ohio State in 2014.

It can also be pointed out that in the last 16 years, only one WESTERN team has won a national title - USC back in 2004. For over a generation now, no team west of Austin, Texas has won. And Texas only won once. And USC had to vacate the 2004 title anyway.

So it’s not just a Cold-Warm thing. It’s also an East-West thing. And more.

Western teams get their good share of great athletes. USC, UCLA, Arizona State, Oregon, Utah, Washington, etc. get a lot of Western talent.

The State of Texas is legendary for high school talent. And yet, the University of Texas at Austin has not kept up with the national college powerhouses. And no one in the Land of Corn will ever shed a tear over that. But it is notable.

It can be argued that at least in the last 50 years, the ONLY Western team that had any dominance has been USC. So everything west of Austin, Texas, Norman, Oklahoma, and yes - Lincoln, Nebraska, has with one single exception been a championship wasteland.

One of the answers is that football is just not solidly in the DNA of most of the West. The Western US has too many other things to do. And now with the growing issue of concussions and the health of young players, football is changing again. Football is already being eliminated at some high schools for lack of players. Basketball, soccer, and in the North - hockey - are the sports that are growing. Even in the South hockey is growing with solid NHL teams in Tampa/St Pete, Dallas, and Southern California. And a kid from Arizona is the biggest star in Canada right now. Many youth leagues are growing.

So, the Huskers are fighting trends on many fronts. The tide is rising in the Land of Corn. But that doesn’t mean that the seas will be getting any calmer.

And it also wouldn't hurt if more of Husker Country got to know what offsides, face-offs, and one-time-shots means.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....good thing we aren’t a tv network and we can have a discussion that isn’t hyper sensitive for no reason. 

So let’s have a discussion: what is he implying in this thread by a chart showing population density of “Blacks”.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmm....well....since I didn’t post it...you would have to ask him. What do you think?

23 hours ago, Ulty said:

Whoa, what the hell are you trying to say with this chart?

18 hours ago, Toe said:

@Ulty I'm just saying that Puerto Rico needs to get into football more. :thumbs

18 hours ago, Ulty said:

Please explain further. Because it looks like a Jimmy the Greek kind of comment.

Well, I guess I can ask a third time. I would hate to jump to a negative conclusion since Toe has always been a solid poster. Come on, @Toe, what were you trying to say with your chart?