Huskers Fighting Big Trend

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Well, I guess I can ask a third time. I would hate to jump to a negative conclusion since Toe has always been a solid poster. Come on, @Toe, what were you trying to say with your chart?

To be completely blunt I think he is trying to say there is a correlation between the density of African Americans and the success of college programs in those areas. And lets be 100% honest, that those areas do have a larger number of great athletes then the areas of the map that are not as dense with African Americans. I don't think he is trying to be racist, but I can see where it totally came across that way. 

Programs in that area are more likely to keep those athletes, due to location to those athletes. We always harp on our 500 mile radius, well you can bet they are trying to do the same. Hell look at Miami back in the 80's and how they tried to win "The State of Miami". It's no different. Again Toe's map is showing that their is a correlation between the density of African Americans and the success of programs in those areas, and that if the map was flipped and the density of African Americans was much higher in the north than in the south then it's a reasonable assumption that the programs in the north would be winning more Championships then the teams in the south. 

Again I don't think he is trying to be racist, but instead just pointing out what he believes to be the reason for the south's success 

• Plus1 2
On 1/7/2019 at 10:13 PM, quesadilla said:

In December 2017 a bunch of sources picked up this 538 story that said, based on Elo ratings, the 17-18 Crimson Tide edged out the '95 Huskers by 0.3 as the best college team ever:  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-rate-alabama-the-strongest-team-in-college-football-history/

Of course, Alabama went on to lose the national championship that year to Clemson.  

The same thing appears to be happening this year, both as to the Alabama hype and the collapse in the national championship. 

I never saw a revision of that 2017 story but this year 538 is rating the 3 best college teams since 2000 as the 18-19 Crimison Tide, the 17-18 Crimson Tide, and the 18-19 Clemson Tigers, in that order:  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-and-worst-teams-of-2018-in-almost-any-sport/

If the '95 Huskers were that close the 17-18 Crimson Tide and both that Tide team and this year's lose the Championship, then I guess the argument become '95 Huskers vs 18-19 Clemson... (unfortunately, 538 used two different Elo numbers in those stories, so you can't compare Nebraska vs Clemson directly).

17-18 Tide won the championship

16-17 Tide lost- this is the team they had rated as the best

23 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

To be completely blunt I think he is trying to say there is a correlation between the density of African Americans and the success of college programs in those areas. And lets be 100% honest, that those areas do have a larger number of great athletes then the areas of the map that are not as dense with African Americans. I don't think he is trying to be racist, but I can see where it totally came across that way. 

Programs in that area are more likely to keep those athletes, due to location to those athletes. We always harp on our 500 mile radius, well you can bet they are trying to do the same. Hell look at Miami back in the 80's and how they tried to win "The State of Miami". It's no different. Again Toe's map is showing that their is a correlation between the density of African Americans and the success of programs in those areas, and that if the map was flipped and the density of African Americans was much higher in the north than in the south then it's a reasonable assumption that the programs in the north would be winning more Championships then the teams in the south. 

Again I don't think he is trying to be racist, but instead just pointing out what he believes to be the reason for the south's success 

Thanks HfK. I'm very disappointed that @Toe refused to clarify his thoughts on this. When he put up that map, it was sort of a drive-by post correlating the success of southern teams to race, which begs for clarification. I appreciate your response, because at least you are attempting to examine it. Dropping a racial component into the discussion, and then refusing to engage with anything other than a short snarky comment about Puerto Rico (and I appreciate snark as much as anyone), is not constructive.

Like you said in the bolded, I hope there is not racism is his intent and it is simply misunderstood, but of course it can come off that way. Like I said earlier, Toe is a solid contributor on this board. I hate to see this sort of behavior (suggesting something racial and then running away), and I intend to call out that sort of thing.

Maybe it belongs in another thread, but if I'm wrong, or overreacting, I'm willing to discuss. 

11 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Maybe it belongs in another thread, but if I'm wrong, or overreacting, I'm willing to discuss. 

There’s nothing racist inherent here. There’s nothing racist if I stated no white athlete has won the men’s 100m sprint in the Olymics since 1980 or that there are no white CBs in the NFL. It would be racist to suggest a particular person couldn’t participate in such ventures, provided they had the skills, simply because of their race.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, brophog said:

There’s nothing racist inherent here. There’s nothing racist if I stated no white athlete has won the men’s 100m sprint in the Olymics since 1980 or that there are no white CBs in the NFL. It would be racist to suggest a particular person couldn’t participate in such ventures, provided they had the skills, simply because of their race.

I agree with you here. Wouldnt it actually be more of a compliment? I mean dont most people want to be a great athlete? Im confused I guess.

AP/National Champs (1936-2008)

Alabama 1961, 1964, 1965, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017
Army 1944, 1945
Auburn 1957, 2010
BYU 1984
Clemson 1981, 2016, 2018
Colorado 1990
Florida 1996, 2006, 2008
Florida State 1993, 1999, 2013
Georgia 1980
LSU 1958, 2007
Maryland 1953
Miami 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 2001
Michigan 1948, 1997
Michigan State 1952
Minnesota 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
Nebraska 1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997
Notre Dame 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977, 1988
Ohio State 1942, 1954, 1968, 2002, 2014
Oklahoma 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, 2000
Pennsylvania State 1982, 1986
Pittsburgh 1937, 1976
Southern California 1962, 1967, 1972, 2003, 2004 (vacated)
Syracuse 1959
Tennessee 1951, 1998
Texas A & M 1939
Texas Christian 1938
Texas 1963, 1969, 2005

Based upon Championships won, the greatest football programs are:

1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4.* Ohio State (2014)
5.* Miami (2001)
6.* Nebraska (1997)
*Tied win 5 titles - ranked By Most Recent Title Won

Notre Dame has not won since 1988 so their success is rooted in the past.
Miami had a good 20-year run and nothing lately.
Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma have the most staying-power winning titles during a 50 year span.

Nebraska has had two great decades. Huskers have a tougher road now for national titles. For years, the Huskers could dominate the Big 8, get past the Oklahoma game, and then win a good bowl game. Now, Huskers have to win a tougher division, win a strong conference title, and win two final games against top opponents. Can be done - just tougher than before.

• Plus1 1